Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 11:07 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What's with the photo of people running in the snow with christmas gear?

Is that a DC tradition this time of year?
I think thats the cupid run. Its an event the host around feb and the proceeds go to breat cancer or something? Went last year, and got trashed lol its fun.

P.S. the thread creater is on point. Even going to BMORE there is an instant and obvious change in attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 10:42 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Interesting how a discussion that started out with dating in DC evolved into a discussion about race and class.

If we look at the DC dating scene, some socioeconomic classes and races have it better than others.

Who has it good?
1. White males. Racial privilege has its...uh...privileges. Everybody wants a white guy, right?

2. People with six-figure salaries. Who says money can't buy love.

3. Asian-American females. Dating Whitey is a "step up" and many white dudes can get their Asian fetish thing going on.

4. Black males (college education w/ professional career). Cream of the crop here. Unfortunately, successful black males will likely have white, Asian or Latina women as the arm candy. Black women are left in the cold.

5. White females. White girls are open to dating men of any race. Have some fun with the black dudes and Latino dudes (wink-wink). When it becomes time to settle down and think about marriage, house, kids: dump the black or Latino boyfriend and find a privileged (successful) white man. Women of color don't have this luxury.

Who suffers many lonely nights?
1. Working/Service class black males and females. Being poor and black is worst combination in US society.

2. People making poverty-level wages. Can't afford to pay for a lady's dinner? Go home alone, loser. Still live in your parent's house? Don't bother hitting on a woman.

3. Professional, college-educated black females. You know it is bad when a middle-class black woman has to settle for boring white yuppie dudes. Not enough educated black males out there.

4. Asian-American dudes. Dissed by their Asian sisters and ignored by women of different colors. They have it rough.

That's my crude summary--emphasis on the word, crude.
I don't agree that every woman wants a White guy in DC. Whites and Blacks are very socially segregated in DC. Even though DC has become more physically integrated, socially Blacks and Whites are not on the same page although they walk the same streets. White men in DC do not have the "swag" of their Black counterparts and White guys aren't allowed to have that type swag in DC, unlike other cities like Philly and NYC, because the District that White people know is all about the seriousness of business and professionalism 24/7. DC is a very Black city, culturally, and Black women in DC don't go for White men, in general. Although many Blacks may have good jobs in DC and work with Whites during the day, they sure as hell do not choose to directly socialize with Whites in their free time. Professional Blacks in DC self-segregate more than some poor Black folks in Baltimore in neighborhoods like Pigtown where it is common to see Black men with White women. The self-segregation of educated upper middle class professional Blacks is more acute than the younger Black crowd who work low-wage jobs or are still in school. Younger Blacks in their 20's may intermingle with Hispanics and sometimes Asians with urban culture and a common social class being the glue that binds these people. This is easily visible in the less ritzy nightclubs on 18th St that cater to this less boughie, more hood type of crowd. BUT, the highly opposing Black and White natives of DC proper tend to segregate as default. Residents of Montgomery County are more open to integrated groups of friends and social gatherings at bars/clubs.

DC is mostly about same-race dating. There are the token White male-Asian female relationships on display on the streets of the Whiter side of NW DC. However, Black female-White male couples are pretty much nonexistent in DC. I've seen Black female-White male couples in Silver Spring before (even that was very rare), but not DC, proper. Surprisingly, such couples are the norm in some parts of Philly. If you go to Center City in Philly on any weekend of the year, you will see many Black women-White male couples as well as other rare pairings like Black men with Asian women etc. Interracial couples are a rarity in DC, period. This is the reason why there are hardly any racially ambiguous mixed people in DC. When you do meet a racially ambiguous mixed person in DC, they will tell you they are from somewhere in California 90% of the time.

I agree with everything else though...

Last edited by goldenchild08; 03-10-2012 at 10:56 PM..

Old 03-11-2012, 07:48 PM

708 posts, read 1,205,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
I don't agree that every woman wants a White guy in DC. Whites and Blacks are very socially segregated in DC. Even though DC has become more physically integrated, socially Blacks and Whites are not on the same page although they walk the same streets. White men in DC do not have the "swag" of their Black counterparts and White guys aren't allowed to have that type swag in DC, unlike other cities like Philly and NYC, because the District that White people know is all about the seriousness of business and professionalism 24/7. DC is a very Black city, culturally, and Black women in DC don't go for White men, in general. Although many Blacks may have good jobs in DC and work with Whites during the day, they sure as hell do not choose to directly socialize with Whites in their free time. Professional Blacks in DC self-segregate more than some poor Black folks in Baltimore in neighborhoods like Pigtown where it is common to see Black men with White women. The self-segregation of educated upper middle class professional Blacks is more acute than the younger Black crowd who work low-wage jobs or are still in school. Younger Blacks in their 20's may intermingle with Hispanics and sometimes Asians with urban culture and a common social class being the glue that binds these people. This is easily visible in the less ritzy nightclubs on 18th St that cater to this less boughie, more hood type of crowd. BUT, the highly opposing Black and White natives of DC proper tend to segregate as default. Residents of Montgomery County are more open to integrated groups of friends and social gatherings at bars/clubs.

DC is mostly about same-race dating. There are the token White male-Asian female relationships on display on the streets of the Whiter side of NW DC. However, Black female-White male couples are pretty much nonexistent in DC. I've seen Black female-White male couples in Silver Spring before (even that was very rare), but not DC, proper. Surprisingly, such couples are the norm in some parts of Philly. If you go to Center City in Philly on any weekend of the year, you will see many Black women-White male couples as well as other rare pairings like Black men with Asian women etc. Interracial couples are a rarity in DC, period. This is the reason why there are hardly any racially ambiguous mixed people in DC. When you do meet a racially ambiguous mixed person in DC, they will tell you they are from somewhere in California 90% of the time.

I agree with everything else though...

Beautifully said. 100% agree.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:28 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,626,664 times
In all honesty I think it's just your attitude. I felt I had the same problem in Boston (where I'm from) and whenever I left the area I had much more luck meeting women. I truly feel the fact of the matter is that you need a change. Perhaps since you grew up in the area you're just tired of it and need something new. I'm moving back to DC, and one of the reasons is because I have so much luck meeting women there it isn't even funny. I would date around 2-3 very attractive women every week when I lived there back in 2009. However, in Boston I struck out a lot. I think it really all came down to me and the energy I was giving out. Women can smell a bad attitude a mile away and aren't going to gravitate towards a bitter guy. I say change your way of thinking in regards to meeting women or move. That's the best advice I can give you.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:22 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
In all honesty I think it's just your attitude. I felt I had the same problem in Boston (where I'm from) and whenever I left the area I had much more luck meeting women. I truly feel the fact of the matter is that you need a change. Perhaps since you grew up in the area you're just tired of it and need something new. I'm moving back to DC, and one of the reasons is because I have so much luck meeting women there it isn't even funny. I would date around 2-3 very attractive women every week when I lived there back in 2009. However, in Boston I struck out a lot. I think it really all came down to me and the energy I was giving out. Women can smell a bad attitude a mile away and aren't going to gravitate towards a bitter guy. I say change your way of thinking in regards to meeting women or move. That's the best advice I can give you.
So what about those who were born in the DC area but are treated like crap by "our own"? Many of us who realize we're the lowest common demoninator among women (and people in general) for some BS subjective reason and who want out of the beltway have no place to go economically, unless we want to wait months before getting another job.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
So what about those who were born in the DC area but are treated like crap by "our own"? Many of us who realize we're the lowest common demoninator among women (and people in general) for some BS subjective reason and who want out of the beltway have no place to go economically, unless we want to wait months before getting another job.
HA! I rest my case. It's all about attitude.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
I can say that power isn't the only thing women go for. Most on here know I have a blue-collar job. I don't make a lot of money at all and have no complaints about the area. The way some of you talk, I can see why you have problems. You think every woman should flock to you.
I agree with you 100%. The negative guys on here need to grow up. I've had nothing but good luck with women in the DC area. The key is to be positive and make them laugh (like anywhere else). If you're hitting up the bar scene most likely you're going to fail. I don't go to venues where women have their guards up. I'm moving back to DC in 2 weeks and one reason is because it is a prime spot to meet single, educated, attractive women. I don't find the guys dress up like they're in GQ and women in the area are attracted to powerful men only. Whoever says that is just ridiculous. Everyone has different likes and dislikes. You're not going to be everyone's cup of tea but if you can't meet a woman in DC you've got to take a serious look at yourself because the women aren't the problem.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:28 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,400,569 times
lol u gotta be from outta town to get a dc girl, because you would be most likely more upbeat and happy than a dreary native or resident i guess.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:10 PM

339 posts, read 836,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I agree with you 100%. The negative guys on here need to grow up. I've had nothing but good luck with women in the DC area. The key is to be positive and make them laugh (like anywhere else). If you're hitting up the bar scene most likely you're going to fail. I don't go to venues where women have their guards up. I'm moving back to DC in 2 weeks and one reason is because it is a prime spot to meet single, educated, attractive women. I don't find the guys dress up like they're in GQ and women in the area are attracted to powerful men only. Whoever says that is just ridiculous. Everyone has different likes and dislikes. You're not going to be everyone's cup of tea but if you can't meet a woman in DC you've got to take a serious look at yourself because the women aren't the problem.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC