Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 01:37 PM

468 posts, read 1,338,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow View Post
I can't see how anyone thinks the last 5 years haven't been a positive change. The only people I've seen complaining are the ones in P.G. County who have seen their precious suburban communities get run down, the ones who got kicked out of D.C. and had to move to P.G. County because they couldn't afford to stay, or the ones who have been in the areas of D.C. that didn't get any investment from Williams and Fenty (still mostly east of the Anacostia).
I know plenty of people who have been complaining about metrorail and the insane fare hikes of the past few years.

Soon they will add an extra fee onto passengers just for breathing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 01:42 PM

10 posts, read 24,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLET View Post
I know plenty of people who have been complaining about metrorail and the insane fare hikes of the past few years.

Soon they will add an extra fee onto passengers just for breathing
Truth. $8-10 round trip just to go 10-15 miles and they still have delays every day. The metro system here is a joke. 45 minutes to go from Silver Spring to Bethesda... just 3 exits down on 495.

What makes it worse is the new condo developments charging $40K for a parking space in the city.

You can't win unless you walk or ride a bike to work.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:20 PM

468 posts, read 1,338,500 times
Quote:
Truth. $8-10 round trip just to go 10-15 miles and they still have delays every day. The metro system here is a joke. 45 minutes to go from Silver Spring to Bethesda... just 3 exits down on 495.

What makes it worse is the new condo developments charging $40K for a parking space in the city.

You can't win unless you walk or ride a bike to work.
40K for a parking space?

Well I guess if somebody is stupid enough to pay...

Go ahead and take it from them.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:44 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Alright, but that's supposed to be fixed by the purple line light rail, isn't it?

Old 02-01-2011, 03:02 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Quote:
It takes 15 minutes and cost $1.50 if you are smart enough to take the bus.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:19 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
For some unexplained reason I like Walgreens better. True CVS does seem to be the king of drug stores in the DC area.
I cannot stand CVS, Walgreens is so much better--better stores, more pleasant help, not as expensive, etc.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:22 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
Quote:
The metro system here is a joke. 45 minutes to go from Silver Spring to Bethesda... just 3 exits down on 495.
No, Metro is a "hub and spoke", which explains why two suburbs--Bethesda and Silver Spring--are not connected to each other directly via Metro. Metro was designed to funnel people from the suburbs into downtown, not from suburb-to-suburb. That's changing as the DC region is changing, but it's misplaced to fault the system for something it was not intended to be.

And as others have pointed out, you can always take the bus.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:34 PM

10 posts, read 24,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
No, Metro is a "hub and spoke", which explains why two suburbs--Bethesda and Silver Spring--are not connected to each other directly via Metro. Metro was designed to funnel people from the suburbs into downtown, not from suburb-to-suburb. That's changing as the DC region is changing, but it's misplaced to fault the system for something it was not intended to be.

And as others have pointed out, you can always take the bus.
It WAS a hub and spoke, but that was designed a long time ago. Poor planning over the years has left it that way. I've seen the proposals for the Purple Line and they are a day late and a dollar short. The area needed that prior to the condo investment boom. Public transportation here is abysmal for an area that has such awful chokepoints on the roadways.

Maybe I'm still just bitter over my 10.5 hour commute from Herndon to Chevy Chase last week though. Actually... I'm sure that's it.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:41 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Yeah the purple line will take care of it, if my stupid state ever actually starts building it.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:00 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Right now the purple line is a single jurisdiction issue. If Maryland wants it, build it.

The Metro was built to avoid an ugly freeway systems crisscrossing the area. It has accomplished that. It should embrace a larger goal at this point, but what is killing Metro is it's success and the lack of financial support by the various governments that benefit from Metro's success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC