Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 08:28 AM

741 posts, read 2,781,092 times

Advertisements

I can't comment on PG, but it's certainly easy if you have access to a metro stop.

I lived close to one without a car sometime ago but it also meant lots of planning.

My two suggestions are as follows if you are thinking of this.

One: Live inside the beltway preferably near a metro stop if you can.
Two: Get a bicycle so you can go the other places the transit doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 08:39 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It depends on where you are, how much walking you are willing to do, and if you schedule happens to work with the available bus schedules.
As someone who is willing to walk up to 12 miles when not following a schedule and 5 miles when following one, I can walk most anywhere that has a sidewalk. I used to metro to East Falls Church which would probably not be considered very walkable except that I would walk about 2 miles to my doctor's office weekly, walk back afterwards, and then metro back home. Obviously it wasn't D.C. but it was still get-around-able if you were willing to walk some distance. There was a bus route on part of of my walking route but I just didn't think it was worth a dollar something and waiting fifteen minutes just to save a mile of walking.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:36 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
As someone who is willing to walk up to 12 miles when not following a schedule and 5 miles when following one, I can walk most anywhere that has a sidewalk. I used to metro to East Falls Church which would probably not be considered very walkable except that I would walk about 2 miles to my doctor's office weekly, walk back afterwards, and then metro back home. Obviously it wasn't D.C. but it was still get-around-able if you were willing to walk some distance. There was a bus route on part of of my walking route but I just didn't think it was worth a dollar something and waiting fifteen minutes just to save a mile of walking.
I did the same in Dallas. There are hardly any sidewalks, so you end up walking through mud puddles and weed patches. People heckle you, really. And every cop slows down to check you out because it is such a bizarre sight to them, they suspect that you are up to no good.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:05 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,671 times
visit wmata.com click bus then maps then select MD see for urself what PG has

Old 04-29-2011, 06:19 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 411info View Post
Depends on where in PG county.

The area around PG plaza metro station is walkable, maybe West Hyattsville metro station too.
But overall PG county is sprawled out with wide roads and poor bus service for the most part. A lot of the buses don't run on sundays and/or after 9-10pm.

There are 15 metro stations in PG county:

Green line:

Greenbelt (Not walkable)
College Park (Not Walkable)
PG Plaza (Walkable)
West Hyattsville (Walkable, but not great)
Southern Ave (Not Walkable and wouldn't recommend this area)
Naylor Road (Semi Walkable, but its subpar. Wouldn't recommend living in this area)
Suitland (Not Walkable, but its do-able....wouldn't recommend living in Suitland)
Branch Ave (Least Walkable station in PG county)

Blue line:
Capitol Heights: (Not Walkable, wouldn't recommend living in this area)
Addison Road: (Not Walkable, wouldn't recommend living in this area AT ALL)
Morgan Blvd: (Not Walkable, but the surrounding area is decent)
Largo Town Center (Walkable)

Orange line:
Cheverly: (Not Walkable, but area is decent.. a mix of diverse middle class and industrial)
Landover: (Not Walkable. wouldn't recommend living in this area)
New Carrollton (Not Walkable....yet. There are plans for revitalization but that can take some time. Also the apartment complexes near this station aren't the safest)

In a nutshell, PG county for the most part is ghetto or the areas that are decent don't have decent public transport, if any at all or the area just isn't walkable.
This area I bolded is not safe at all. It is considered one of the most dangerous metro stations and I would put it up there as a dangerous place. People think because it has nice new shops that it's nice over there but it is very dark and all types of things happens at this stop.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:20 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RozCat View Post
None of the metro station in Prince Georges County have 'transit oriented development' around them. Seems they either cut into low density 50s style surburbs or followed existing railroad lines through industrialized areas (Landover station). But with a number of supplemental transit options now (Zip car and Bikeshare), it's easier than ever to live without a car pretty much anywhere in the area. I did it for 7 years during the pre-cell phone era, so at that time, you had to become WELL-versed in bus schedules and keep change and cash for cabs and such. They only time I yearned to have my own car was when I wanted to go to big box store or visit friends in the burbs late at night.
PG Plaza is actually transit oriented. It does have apartments, stores, restaurants and the whole 9 around there, but as I said in the previous post, it's really not that safe.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:01 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
visit wmata.com click bus then maps then select MD see for urself what PG has
Yes, thanks, but that website might not include the separate lines operated by PGC govt. which they call simply "THE BUS" -- See Prince George's County, MD : Government Overview

Old 04-29-2011, 12:22 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
If i was going to go carfree in a suburb of DC I would either

A. Get really, really good at biking

B. Join Zipcar

or

C. Both.

Not to say there arent a few burbs with good bus service, good walkability, etc, but either A or B would so leverage things, I dont see why one wouldnt do one or the other. If I couldnt drive at all (and so couldnt do zipcar) and for one reason or another couldnt bike, I think I would really try to stay in an urban area like DC or maybe parts of arlington or Alex.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:34 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Yes, thanks, but that website might not include the separate lines operated by PGC govt. which they call simply "THE BUS" -- See Prince George's County, MD : Government Overview
The website contains the PG lines as well well on the map yes but schedules no plus all THE BUS routes stop after 7PM or 6PM but due to wmata being everywhere its not that big of a deal

Old 05-17-2011, 11:03 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,697,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The DMV total gets about 420,000 Metrobus riders a day which includes all of DC, Maryland, and Virginia routes.
He wasn't asking about the DMV btw. Kinda wouldn't make sense since he doesn't have a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: