Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 09:02 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,689,627 times

Advertisements

I have been there two times for tourist type stuff in both 08 and 09. I will be going there in a couple weeks for the same.

We will be arriving Thursday around 3. Checking in the Holiday Inn at Rosslyn. I will be with two friends that are yet to do anything in DC so I am going to show them around a little bit.

First on the agenda is to hit up the Natural history museum since it's open till 730 pm. Then we'll probably just walk around the mall area. Would like to find a nice restaurant to eat at that isn't to pricey but good. It's my birthday and my buddies birthday.

After dinner was thinking about heading to Georgetown for some drinks since it's not too far from the hotel.

On Friday, was thinking of going to the zoo in the morning. Then heading back towards the mall because we have tickets for the Hallocaust museum at 445. After that I'm not sure what will go on.

On Saturday, plan on being at the Washington Monument at 11 for the tour (already got tickets). After that we planned on hitting museums like the Air and Space, American History museum.

There are some gaps in there so that's why I am posting here. I need some suggestions on what to do for 3 people in our mid to late 20's.

Also, how much is an all day metro ticket? 9 dollars a day?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 10:04 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,059 times
You can get lots of advice here Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor then click "United States" - "District of Columbia". They also have a "Forums" section with many questions just like yours.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:18 AM

885 posts, read 1,552,455 times
Just make sure when you see thugs, don't make eye contact and do this.....

Old 04-30-2011, 10:46 PM

688 posts, read 1,246,964 times
Try Tripadvisor.com. They will be better able to answer your questions

Old 05-01-2011, 07:32 AM

23 posts, read 49,737 times
On Saturday May 14th, there is an "Around the World Embassy Tour": you'll get a rare inside look in participating embassies, learn about the history of the country, and they will be offering music, food, art for the entire family. I've been to this annual event twice, and it keeps getting more popular each year. Unfortunately this is when you will be at the Washington Monument.

Moderator cut: link removed, please read the tos

Map of the participating embassies:
Moderator cut: link removed, please read the tos

Last edited by Yac; 05-02-2011 at 03:31 AM..

Old 05-10-2011, 10:36 AM

Is the wax museum worth going to? I know it costs about 20-25 a ticket but my boss said it was really awesome.

I hope it doesn't rain this weekend

Old 05-10-2011, 12:33 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,059 times
I've never been to the current wax museum, but it's hard to justify paying for anything in D.C. unless you've already exhausted seeing all the many, countless free sights -- as just one of many examples: Smithsonian

Old 05-10-2011, 08:33 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,900,650 times
Lonely Planet's Thorn tree forums are FAR more helpful and accurate than tripadvisor's forums.

IMO, your itinerary sounds a little museum-heavy. Since it's your birthdays, why not have some fun? Rent a paddle boat and ride around the tidal basin. Peruse eastern market.

Dinner in georgetown is sooooo cliche, but I guess I'd rather all the tourists be corralled there so we locals can keep the rest of town for ourselves.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:21 PM

Can anybody educate me on the metro card? I read where it's like 9 dollars for a weekend pass per day or after 9:30 on the week day? I'm confused.

We'll need an all day for Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:49 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Can anybody educate me on the metro card? I read where it's like 9 dollars for a weekend pass per day or after 9:30 on the week day? I'm confused.

We'll need an all day for Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
Yeah, you have it right. So on the 12th and 13th, you couldn't use the pass before 9:30am, but you could use it anytime on the 14th. The pass is good until the station closes in the wee hours the following morning.

Looking at your itinerary, your individual fares are mostly going to be between $1.60 and $2.15. So if you're going to be using the metro less than 5 times a day, I would just buy a standard paper ticket at the station and put $15 bucks on it, and see how that goes. You can top it off if you run out.

If you think you're going to need the metro 5 or more times each day, then a day pass might be worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC