Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 09:00 PM

30 posts, read 158,389 times

Advertisements

I have been to DC a couple of times before so i know that the public transportation is pretty good, but what i do not know is if it is expensive. WHat are the fares like?

I beleieve that CUA (Catholic University of America, so far my first choice)is in the brookland neihborhood, and i have heard that this is a gheto-ish area, is this true?

what is the music scene like? (rock,punk,etc)

Anyone who is a graduate of CUA i would appreciate thoughts on the school and your experience there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 09:22 AM

228 posts, read 920,676 times
Metro fares are about $1.30 one way for close-in trips (e.g. CUA to center city). For longer trips the fares may go up to about $3.00 per trip (these are rough estimates - you can get exact fares on the WMATA web site). You can put money on a Smartcard and just scan it at the metro entrance and exit.

Brookland is not so bad - it has some street crime but also has the feeling of a tight knit, walkable neighborhood. I'd be careful walking around at night alone, but the place is pretty safe during the day. It's actually one of the nicer, affordable areas in the city. However the nightlife is pretty limited (you will hang out at Colonel Brooks Tavern a lot).

The music scene in DC is good for a city of its size. Closest clubs to CUA (short cab or metro ride away - not walkable) are 9:30 club for big acts, DC9 (small local club), Velvet Lounge (small club), and the Black Cat (national indie/punk bands). Jazz venues include Bohemian Caverns, HR57, and Twins Lounge, all about 3 miles west on U Street. Farther to the south, on H Street NE, a lot of new clubs have opened on the 1200-1400 block (Red and the Black, Rock'n'Roll Hotel). These are the hip new clubs, but aren't really metro accessible. Mostly they have national and local indie/rock bands.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:27 PM

60 posts, read 449,517 times
I live just north of brookland and my housemate is a student at CUA. I have never felt unsafe over here. It is definitely a quiet neighborhood, but that is what the Metro is for to go where yo uwant to go to see a show or something

Old 03-23-2008, 04:24 PM

30 posts, read 158,389 times
thanks guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC