Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:58 AM

4 posts, read 9,900 times

Advertisements

How easy is that that do?

I have a degree in Political Science and would love to work in that field but to get to DC I would work in an administrative capacity if I had to, but I can't move from Seattle without a job because even with saving I am concerned that I won't be able to get a job given the whole (post?) Recession thing.

(I know that was one long run-on sentence lol).

I know everyone in DC doesn't have to deal with this problem but do you think this is the right way to go about things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 11:39 AM

230 posts, read 860,102 times
Your best bet is to try to get a job as a federal contractor. Try Booz Allen, CACI, Ray Group Intl, Lockheed Martin, etc. Get a DC phone number and if you know someone here, use their address on your resume.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:16 PM

Thank you!

Old 09-11-2011, 11:49 PM

999 posts, read 2,012,104 times
That's interesting. I have a degree in Political Science and I want to flee Washington DC to the Pacific Northwest.

Too bad the job market in Seattle is so IT-heavy. Only software and internet developers are in great demand there. If Microsoft had remained in New Mexico, Seattle would still be a sleepy lumber town.

Maybe we can swap jobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicaInSeattle View Post
How easy is that that do?

I have a degree in Political Science and would love to work in that field but to get to DC I would work in an administrative capacity if I had to, but I can't move from Seattle without a job because even with saving I am concerned that I won't be able to get a job given the whole (post?) Recession thing.

(I know that was one long run-on sentence lol).

I know everyone in DC doesn't have to deal with this problem but do you think this is the right way to go about things?

Old 09-12-2011, 08:31 AM

Ha! Good idea.

Yeah there are a million great reasons to live in Seattle if you nice beautiful scenery and we do have a lot of variety of jobs since Starbucks, Amazon, Microsoft and the plants of Boeing are here.

We are VERY passive aggressive here so as an East Coaster you'll have to get use to that.

I on the other hand will have to get used to being more direct and mean (jokes!).

How is finding a job in DC with a Political Science degree? I know all PoliSci majors want to go to DC lol so I am sure the competition for the type of jobs a grad would probably want is fierce but you'd know better than I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
That's interesting. I have a degree in Political Science and I want to flee Washington DC to the Pacific Northwest.

Too bad the job market in Seattle is so IT-heavy. Only software and internet developers are in great demand there. If Microsoft had remained in New Mexico, Seattle would still be a sleepy lumber town.

Maybe we can swap jobs?

Old 09-12-2011, 09:56 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
How is finding a job in DC with a Political Science degree? I know all PoliSci majors want to go to DC lol so I am sure the competition for the type of jobs a grad would probably want is fierce but you'd know better than I would.
I hate to say this, but a PoliSci degree by itself isn't worth that much. Have you thought about going to law school? Even then, the job market for lawyers isn't that good right now. You will be facing stiff competition, but hopefully the economy will have improved a few years from now.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:23 PM

999 posts, read 2,012,104 times
To be honest, people with B.A.'s are a dime in dozen in the Washington, DC area. Like one poster replied already, you really need a law degree or some other advanced degree to get a well-paying position where there is demand for your talents. Washington, DC is full of people with law degrees, PhDs, Master's degrees etc.

Have you thought about heading down to Olympia for state government work? Or do you want to get far away from the Pacific Northwest in search of new experiences?

How is the job market in Seattle for people with liberal arts/humanities degrees? I think I know the answer but I want to hear from you about this.

Quote:
Ha! Good idea.

Yeah there are a million great reasons to live in Seattle if you nice beautiful scenery and we do have a lot of variety of jobs since Starbucks, Amazon, Microsoft and the plants of Boeing are here.

We are VERY passive aggressive here so as an East Coaster you'll have to get use to that.

I on the other hand will have to get used to being more direct and mean (jokes!).

Old 09-12-2011, 03:00 PM

656 posts, read 648,821 times
Quote:
To be honest, people with B.A.'s are a dime in dozen in the Washington, DC area. Like one poster replied already, you really need a law degree or some other advanced degree to get a well-paying position where there is demand for your talents. Washington, DC is full of people with law degrees, PhDs, Master's degrees etc.

Have you thought about heading down to Olympia for state government work? Or do you want to get far away from the Pacific Northwest in search of new experiences?

How is the job market in Seattle for people with liberal arts/humanities degrees? I think I know the answer but I want to hear from you about this.
This is exactly right. It's not what you know in DC, it's whom you know. Those with well-connected parents or contacts will get the high profile positions at the Museums. And a degree from an overpriced private school like Amherst or Williams College doesn't hurt (actual grades do not matter).

Old 09-13-2011, 07:08 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,866,636 times
Quote:

Maybe we can swap jobs?
why not get a MIS degree then? use your undegrad degree to your advantage. or furthermore, get a masters in software development. use your political background to design software that helps political organizations, contractors, etc.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:43 PM

I don't want to live in Olympia or even in Seattle anymore.

I think that's a very good point, in terms of everyone having a degree in DC...

I don't plan on going to grad school or getting a law degree anytime soon so hopefully I will get something....I will continue applying to stuff (I have a phone interview tomorrow for a DC gig) but I'd rather focus on that rather than "Oh no, I have no chance at a DC job at all since I don't have an advanced degree." .

I am pragmatic but don't want to get too negative lol.

And it depends on what you want to do with that liberal arts degree and honestly it is tough in every job market (except IT lol) so there are folks with liberal arts degrees that are receptionists....

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC