Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 09:13 AM

11 posts, read 15,674 times

Advertisements

Hello all! First time poster here!

I'm a mid 20s guy from a rural-ish New England town with a BS in accounting from a no-name school. After I graduated college in 08 and took the the first job that was offered to me. However, it wasn't in the accounting field. That was 2 years ago.

Anyway, a few months ago I finally left that position due to dissatisfaction with the job environment, pay, and overall quality of my surroundings. Like I said, I live in a rural town and there's nothing to do here in close proximity, not only in terms of jobs but also entertainment. Most of my friends have moved on to other places and I'm still here living at home like a baby. Most days I am very depressed and I feel like I purposefully keep myself caged and trapped by being here.

Now it is time to move and try new things and explore a bit -even if I may fail- because I'd rather try and do something rather than sit here and gloom.

I've been to DC several times and I personally loved it. Judging from all the young talent there and plethora of opportunities, I feel a calling to this place. I may be totally wrong but I need to take this chance and do it now, especially since I have a decent amount of savings to fall back on.

So my questions are:

1) How likely am I able to compete for an entry level accounting position (payroll and taxes included) considering I graduated over two years ago (2009) from a no-name school and don't really have 'accounting' experience? What kind of wages can I expect in general? 30k? 35k? I'm more than willing to work a 2nd part time job. I'm not a veteran, do I even have a chance at government jobs?

2) I don't have much material needs. I just need a room to sleep in, a bathroom and an internet connection. Based on that, would I be able to find a room in a decent neighborhood for $400-500 around the greater DC area? Maryland and Northern Virginia is of course included. I dislike nightclubs and the drinking scene so proximity to 'nightlife' is not a factor. I have a car so I can live a bit further than the metros, atleast when starting off.

3) I want to get involved in charities and volunteer during any free time. Is social work accessible? Is volunteerism common?

4) Are there pockets of desi communities in the DC area? (I'm brown !)

I honestly feel like I've wasted 2 years of my life and I have nothing to show for it. I'm tired of being that person. I'm looking to completely reinvent myself I really want to work the hardest I have ever done in my life and challenge myself. I don't want one second of free time.

Thanks to all that took the time to read this!

ps. please feel free to DM me if necessary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 09:39 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,582,756 times
The only way you are going to find something under $500 is if you live with many roommates in a rundown group house in a bad neighborhood or so far from the city itself that you might as well still be living in a rural area.
I actually know people who live in a good house in a good neighborhood in DC for about $600 a month, but to score a rare deal like that you have to know somebody. It doesn't sound like you have preexisiting connections based on your question.
Honestly, I'm not trying to be uninviting here, but based on your budget I can say you will have a much easier time if you decide to relocate to a metro area with a much lower cost of living than DC. The DC metro area is one of the most expensive in the country. Only New York City and the San Francisco Bay Area surpass it. Money does not go far here, and if you try to live on the budget you described, your quality of life will be very very low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC