Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After moving to DC, did you make the right choice?
Yes 23 50.00%
No 15 32.61%
Between Yes and No 8 17.39%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 12:53 PM

7 posts, read 30,784 times

Advertisements

I am a software engineer. I am considering to move from NY to DC.

I will like to get some feedbacks from people who have moved from NY to DC and have liked it or not? and why?

I would really appreciate any points of views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 06:28 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
I didn't move from NYC to DC. But I'd say the overall difference you'll experience is that NYC is a tier 1 megacity, whereas DC is a solid tier 2 city. You can't expect DC to be NYC, is basically what I'm saying.

However, there are a lot of new things to see and explore in the area. So, if you can start with a fresh outlook and appreciate DC and the metro area for what it is, then I think you'll like it.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:31 AM

64 posts, read 243,514 times
I moved to DC for work a few years ago from Brooklyn. I love it. Frankly I couldn't give two shakes about what "tier" it falls into. Its a much more manageable city, size wise, in my opinion. Cleaner, greener, TONS of opportunity, about the same price (cheaper than Manhattan) and tons to do. Anyone who says "NYC is the only place to live" needs their head examined.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:40 AM

16 posts, read 43,293 times
I think it really depends on why you decide to move to DC. I moved from Manhattan to DC about 4 years ago because i was too tired of overcrowed population and high stress at my old job. DC works great for me because it's still a city but with much lay back attitude.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:45 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk8283 View Post
I think it really depends on why you decide to move to DC. I moved from Manhattan to DC about 4 years ago because i was too tired of overcrowed population and high stress at my old job. DC works great for me because it's still a city but with much lay back attitude.
maybe compared to NY its laid back but from compared to the rest of the country DC is about as wound up and stressful of an area you will find.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:12 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
nah, but every new yorker is not the same.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:43 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
maybe compared to NY its laid back but from compared to the rest of the country DC is about as wound up and stressful of an area you will find.
Ha, I came from NYC/NJ to DC. DC is sooo laid back in comparison, but, now that I interact with people from the south (which I've never had regular day-to-day contact with), they always are saying that DC is too wound up and things move to fast. All perspective I guess.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:11 AM

300 posts, read 524,347 times
I moved from NYC to DC for two years, and didn't like it. DC isn't really my style.

That doesn't mean it won't be your style, though. I personally prefer the vibe in NYC.

I love the NYC energy, diversity, architecture, restaurants, etc. DC was too preppy, sterile, and boring for my preferences.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:39 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
I moved from NYC to DC for two years, and didn't like it. DC isn't really my style.

That doesn't mean it won't be your style, though. I personally prefer the vibe in NYC.

I love the NYC energy, diversity, architecture, restaurants, etc. DC was too preppy, sterile, and boring for my preferences.

Uhhh..I am not going to freak out over this, because I think its another case of "Everything Is Better Just Because I Am So Hip That I Live In NYC" but I have to refute the claim of "preppy, sterile and boring." DC is amazingly diverse, highly educated and packs in a lot of options for a city of its size. Maybe NYC has better "vibe"-- whatever that is. Personally I think its shorthand for "I am jaded and want to live among people who are just as jaded". I often see "vibe" cited as a reason for loving NYC above all else. I am not a fan of NYC in general due to the sort of elitist attitude expressed above. "DC is not for me, maybe its okay for YOU (read: you prole). Its okay, but what I really mean to say is that its boring, preppy and sterile (and if you possibly dispute this, you, by extension are boring, preppy and sterile. Won't come out and say it, but that's the case.)"

I have had several transplant friends from NYC and they generally fall into two categories:

1. They go back to NYC. They have convinced themselves that even paradise will pale in comparison to the great gotham and they can't live anywhere else. Everything is better, they are better because they are associated with NYC, and you should probably never suggest otherwise, even if they give up a good job to go back.

2. They stick around, giving the place a chance, and get hooked by things like free museums, clean metro stations, beautiful spring times with trees blooming everywhere, job opportunities, less crowding, generally lower cost of living, etc. Often, exposure to a new place can be a jumping off point for a perspective change. DC might get you thinking that there are other cities out there, BESIDES NYC to explore. New places might begin to beckon. Just a thought.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:02 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
^ just like u don't like nyc, some don't like
dc and others don't like either. it's not a
big deal. life goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC