Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: D.C. has a high COL because of its:
Educated population 10 27.78%
Strong economy & job market 28 77.78%
Government and related jobs 20 55.56%
Urban amenities 4 11.11%
Population growth 8 22.22%
Other reasons 4 11.11%
I have no idea 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 06:28 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

government & related jobs. - most responsible.

The great economy around it is because of the gov't & related jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 07:33 PM

708 posts, read 1,205,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
This. So many right-wing whines about government spending, so little basic understanding of how markets work...

The distant suburban fringe here costs the same as the suburban fringe elsewhere -- it's the core and the near suburbs that are much more expensive.

Federal spending as a percentage of GDP has been relatively constant since the 1980s, even as local housing prices have escalated significantly. (Federal spending spiked with the Bush stimulus, at the same time that local house prices fell.) Federal spending accounts for a smaller share of the region's economy since then. The region's commute-shed, though, has not expanded since there have been few major transportation capacity improvements since then.
Exactly. It's supply and demand. San Fran can't build any new high rises and neither can Manhattan so prices go up. DC has many undesirable neighborhoods and restrictions on height/housing so prices will be high.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:41 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Sigh. It'd be nice if a discussion could be made without bringing foul racist comments into the mix.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Wow I can't believe the actual reason wasn't listed: not wanting to live in high crime minority neighborhoods. I'm not making a moral judgment on it since most mostly minority neighborhoods are dangerous but one can find a very affordable place to live in SE DC, Suitland, Langley Park or Oxon Hill among other places. I choose to pay a premium to not live in the ghetto, no one forced me and many others to live in a desirable area.
Maybe no one mentioned because race doesn't have to be deciding factor in every conversation, every discussion ever made. It's so tiring. Quit being racist.

So I will call you out and say that you are making a moral judgement. Black = lack of morals? Whatever. I say this as someone who will NEVER willingly choose to live in the aforementioned neighborhoods because they have high crime rates just that simple. Affluent mostly black communities like Upper Marlboro, Fort Washington and Mitchellville have lower crime rates but you forgot to mention those huh?

Old 07-24-2012, 11:50 AM

I think that the cost of living in the DC area is high simply because of the strong local economy combined with the high education levels. Supply and demand. Real estate prices will be as high as the market can bear. Simple as that.

Most cities have urban amenities. Also you have the still expensive suburbs which lack urban amenities but it's still expensive in Springfield. Plenty of cities have government jobs so I don't think that's it at all.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:38 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
the rat race is why.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:51 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Maybe no one mentioned because race doesn't have to be deciding factor in every conversation, every discussion ever made. It's so tiring. Quit being racist.

So I will call you out and say that you are making a moral judgement. Black = lack of morals? Whatever. I say this as someone who will NEVER willingly choose to live in the aforementioned neighborhoods because they have high crime rates just that simple. Affluent mostly black communities like Upper Marlboro, Fort Washington and Mitchellville have lower crime rates but you forgot to mention those huh?
Where did I say being black = immoral

You're naive in thinking costs of certain areas didnt skyrocket because people wanted to leave declining school districts. I mentioned those examples of bad areas because theyre bad areas. Lots of people dont like living among certain people, I'm not even one of them. My town Wheaton went from 80% white in 1990 to about 15% white in 2000. Those people left for racial reasons. I still live there. Don't race bait when you know nothing about someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC