Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 03:55 PM

832 posts, read 1,417,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Huh? You sound a xenophobic person in need of xanax. Why? Do I say such a thing? Well who cares? You really are sitting on the freeway counting lawn trucks yet have the nerve to complain about other folks' driving habits? If you paid more attention to the road you wouldn't have time to notice lawn trucks let alone what part of the state they're from.

What else can one do whilst sitting in a car going 3 miles an hour for 4 hours a day? Count sheep? I wouldn't mind a Xanax now and then, but it might affect my hating the lawn trucks. I'm no xenophobe, I assure you. I am a proponent that all states either get on board or form their own fiefdoms accordingly. There should be no forum shopping for state issued benefits since the majority of the funds come from the Federal Government. I hate Michiganites who keep PO boxes in NY because NY has higher unemployment benefits just as much as I loathe Virginians who seek Maryland benefits whilst not paying their taxes to Maryland.

Quote:
That's not very nice. The whole state isn't ghetto. I say that as a Virginia boy who has no interest in EVER living in Maryland. It's like this foreign country to me and plenty of other Virginians. I've actually spent more time in PG county than MoCo. Only once was I in the "hood" part, dropping off a friend in Capitol Heights. The rest was spent in Upper Marlboro and a house party in Hyattsville.
It's my right as an American to think the majority of MD is ghetto. And while I have yet to observe the State in it's entirety, what I have seen is ghetto or land fill.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:30 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
Quote:

Jeez Louise what's up with folks' manners these days? Again not nice. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. He's still an American that just happens to live in Japan at the moment. People read these days you know. Ever think that maybe that's why he has an informed opinion about things?
I've had plenty of pleasant exchanges with Tiger Beer over the years, but the suggestion that it is only a matter of time before everything outside of DC is undesirable took me by surprise. It doesn't reflect the perspective of someone who knows this area or has made a sincere effort to become familiar with it. I don't know if he stayed out late at a Karaoke bar the other night, was joking, or simply has a blind spot when it comes to assessing the different preferences of people in this area.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:29 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
.... just as much as I loathe Virginians who seek Maryland benefits whilst not paying their taxes to Maryland.
You're the first person I have ever heard, in the 15 years I have lived here, ever bring this problem up. Forgive me if I'm skeptical that this is even happening. Can you cite some evidence that this not just some product of your imagination?

Quote:
It's my right as an American to think the majority of MD is ghetto.
That's sounds like, "It's my right as an American to be ignorant!" The problem some of us are having here is that you are passing off your opinions as if they are facts. I see several, who seem to be just as ignorant about Maryland lapping it up.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:23 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post

As for the 30 minute commute, I'd love to know where these stats come from. It takes me 30 minutes just to get to 66E and I only live 2.2 miles from it. On the way home from work, it can take up to 45 minutes just to get to 66W and it's only 2 miles away. It's faster for me to take a road with red lights every 1/4 mile and get on 66 several exits past the one closest to my work. That's a problem that should be looked into. In no universe should it be faster to be behind a metro bus, a school bus, and have a red light every quarter mile than it is on the freeway.

Maybe it's the commute from inside the district to another part inside the district that takes 30 minutes?
I believe it's based on the American Community Survey undertaken by the Census. The 30-minute mean commute, give or take a few minutes, is reported for DC, Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax and Loudoun. Residents of Montgomery, PG, and Prince William are reported as having longer average commutes. I agree that this has to reflect a lot of people who work close to home, but that is not a phenomenon confined to DC.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:35 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
Some suggestions how traffic could be greatly reduced

- All repairmen, servicemen, contractors, etc. agree to accept jobs just in their county, or within a certain-miles radius. There would still be the same amount of work to go around for everyone, and they would save needless time driving and wasted gasoline.

For instance, my latest furnace repairman mentioned to me he had come from a job in Bowie MD to my home in Fort Washington MD and then was headed on to Annandale VA - during afternoon rush-hour. This is ridiculous and highly wasteful. The customers end up having to pay higher prices to cover all that extra time and expense the serviceman drives.

- Abolish the insane rule that taxi drivers are only legally allowed to pick up passengers in the state they're licensed in. Millions of taxi trips are made from Dulles and Reagan airports into D.C. or into MD, then the drivers must return back to the airport EMPTY. They are not allowed to pickup passengers returning to IAD or DCA becuase their cab is not licensed in DC or MD.

All that time they spend on the road, returning from DC or MD back to IAD or DCA, is just wasted, not earning money. To compensate themselves for all that wasted time, they then have to charge higher fares. The same way conversely, with taxis picking up passengers in DC or MD and going to IAD or DCA - they are not allowed at IAD or DCA to pickup passengers going back, but must make the return trip to DC or MD EMPTY. Then make up for all that wasted unproductive time, they have to charge higher fares than should be necessary, in addition to adding to the traffic congestion, and burning lots more fossil fuels, causing global warming, etc. If they were allowed to pick up fares in any state in the metro region, it would be so more efficient and sensible all around, reduce costs, and help the environment. A win-win situation.

Last edited by slowlane3; 10-21-2012 at 06:58 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 06:53 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It's just a matter of time, and anything within DC city limits will be highly desireable, and anything outside, won't be.

I'm guessing within our lifetimes. The movement inward within the last 10 years, is just the beginning.
Um - that's a very broad statement. Living in far-off Osaka Japan, are you even familiar with the far-south and far-east parts of DC (Washington Highlands, Bellevue, Congress Heights, Marshall Heights, Trinidad, Ivy City, Burrville, Kenilworth, etc.)? I think not.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:03 PM

832 posts, read 1,417,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You're the first person I have ever heard, in the 15 years I have lived here, ever bring this problem up. Forgive me if I'm skeptical that this is even happening. Can you cite some evidence that this not just some product of your imagination?
I'm not sure what evidence you'd like for me to cite as people who are evading Virginia taxes and laws are hardly going to admit it. Just as when I lived in NY, hardly anyone from Michigan admitted they were only keeping a PO box in NY because the benefits are better. One thing I can tell you is that it's something I see every single day as part of my job, where people can and do admit it because otherwise I can't assist them as they would be out of my jurisdiction.

As for additional evidence, you can drive around a great many apartment complexes in Virginia and see all of the MD plates.

If this is the first time you've heard this in 15 years, then you haven't been paying attention. This is not unique to this area. This is an issue where ever you have a sanctuary/high tax city/state abutting a low tax or restrictive state/city. I'm certain you've read in the news that AZ has lost a lot of immigrants to New Mexico after imposing their restrictive measure, illegal or not.

Compare what MD accepts at their DMV as opposed to VA.

MD only requires an unexpired employment card from DHS (regardless if it's been revoked because they don't check, and it serves as both a valid ID and status), a SS number (regardless if it has the DHS restriction on it, so it could be invalid or from 20 years ago when you previously had status), a utility bill (cell phone mailed to an MD PO box or a cancelled check, which can be had for a couple of dollars from any of those buy 100000 checks for $5 flyers in the mail).

VA: I'm not getting into all the documents asked for it because it's a 5 page process where you need more and more documents to verify the previous document. But I can tell you that for my own license, they made me bring in a 40 page divorce decree, my birth certificate, my social security card, they voided my enhanced license which established my citizenship, took away the title to my car, asked for proof of insurance, 2 pieces of mail, one of which must be a utility bill and then asked for my lease agreement.

I came from a State (NY) which recognizes common law name changes, and VA does not. I had a particularly hard time establishing my identity to their satisfaction because I refused to give them a passport or my creds since they seemingly like to void out government documents when they don't know what they are.

Even people with legal status granted by DHS frequently can't comply with VA DMV because people get employment authorization from DHS under a humanitarian program and then let their passports expire as they don't intend to use them. DHS typically issues employment cards for one year. VA DMV will only give a license at a minimum for one year, so it's almost impossible for them to obtain a license in this state.

They must go to Maryland.

And yes. Hearing about the VA DMV is also something I deal with on a daily basis. But there's nothing I can do to assist them other then direct them to a particular location that appears to be more reasonable based on what others have told me. VA DMV will not budge on this issue, but there are a couple of DMV office managers who are sympathetic to the issues and quietly rebel as best as they can without jeopardizing their careers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That's sounds like, "It's my right as an American to be ignorant!" The problem some of us are having here is that you are passing off your opinions as if they are facts. I see several, who seem to be just as ignorant about Maryland lapping it up.
Not at all true. I've made it perfectly clear that it's only my opinion and that I have yet to see the State in its entirety. Only what I have seen is ghetto and land fill. Until I see otherwise, I will keep my opinion. Unless of course, you would like to pay me to take a one month long vacation to explore all MD has to offer. I'm sure you wouldn't.

Perhaps you may realize that people frequently poke at other States for being ghetto or inbred. The majority of people don't take offense to it because they realize the defects of their homeland but still love it.

Please do not conclude that my distaste of the ghetto equates a distaste of immigrants. I have a distaste for illegal immigrants only. And as I have yet to define what I consider to be legal or illegal to anyone on this forum, please don't assume that aspect of my thoughts either. Accusing me of being a xenophobe would be erroneous and indicate that the accuser them self makes no distinction between the two.

The dichotomy of State requirements has a negative effect on the traffic patterns and natural flow of population movement. MD is much friendlier than VA for the illegal immigrant population when compared to Virginia. Anyone who wants to research the documentary requirements and tax laws for each State has the ability to do so without my assistance.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:14 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It's just a matter of time, and anything within DC city limits will be highly desireable, and anything outside, won't be.

I'm guessing within our lifetimes. The movement inward within the last 10 years, is just the beginning.
I'll quote myself, as it seems to be getting horribly misquoted/misinterpreted by a few.

I didn't say that DC was all good now, nor did I say that the suburbs are all bad. I said neither.

I simply said that probably within our lifetimes (over the next 60-80 years). Imagine the years 2070 or 2090. That WASHINGTON DC and whatever is in it's city limits will be highly desireable.

I didn't say that it is currently all desireable. I didn't say that the suburbs are bad or terrible or whatever else.

I simply said that within our lifetimes, anything within the Washington DC city limits will be highly desireable. Again, think 60-80 years into the future with 60x the amount of traffic throughout the metro.

Regarding the suburbs, I said they 'won't be' implying they won't be as highly desireable. I'm sure they will 100% be desireable areas, but my guess is that MUCH (not all) of it will be old, poorly constructed, still not well connected in 70 years with public transportation, and in constant car gridlock. I already see many 'inner suburbs' as undesireable now and they haven't aged yet. I don't see anything particularly strongly desireable about 'outer suburbs' in 60-100 years that'll make them interesting. The only thing desireable now about them is that they are 'new' and all the things that go with that.

We all have to remember that in 60-100 years, traffic will be about 60 times worse than it is now. All that current newness will look old. All that people don't like that is in the cities, will be spread out everywhere as well, as all of those areas settle into their age in time as well, etc.

Quote:
Jeez Louise what's up with folks' manners these days? Again not nice. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. He's still an American that just happens to live in Japan at the moment. People read these days you know. Ever think that maybe that's why he has an informed opinion about things?
Thanks, Terrence81!

Old 10-21-2012, 09:28 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
^
I don't see that happening, Tiger Beer. DC proper is so small it's just impossible to imagine a situation where the city itself is thriving on all cylinders and everything beyond its borders is crumbling. For one, cost of living, which is already prohibitive, would become outrageously expensive and force people to other jurisdictions even if they somehow didn't want to live there.

Rather than an inverse of the last 50 years (which was suburbs thriving and city crumbling), I see a hybrid in which the suburbs continue to become more like the city and better connected by transit to one another and the city continues to have the amenities and quality of life that were once only seen in the suburbs. I mean - is there really any major difference between the life you can live in Dupont Circle versus Bethesda? As has been noted on here many times, a lot of the best immigrant ethnic food is outside the District as well.

The market will probably strategically fill its lagging supply of dense, transit-oriented lifestyle in multiple nodes while more traditional suburban development will continue to dominate the areas in between those nodes and probably won't get built nearly as much as it was in prior decades. I could see places like Bailey's Crossroads, 7 Corners, and the Dulles Corridor becoming nodes that redevelop away from auto-dependence and more toward this future like Tysons currently is.

Certainly suburbs like Silver Spring, Bethesda, College Park, Alexandria, Reston, Tysons, and Gaithersburg aren't in decline. In fact, they're surging.

Last edited by Bluefly; 10-21-2012 at 09:37 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 11:46 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
maryland is so ghetto that it has the highest median income in the nation, what a ****hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: