Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 12:33 PM

68 posts, read 122,492 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone knew how DC figures your income for income restricted housing? There are quite a few new developments popping up and restrict income to around $60,000 for some of the units. My current salary is $62,467, but if they go off my prior tax returns, then my taxable income is much less. Anyone have any insight on if they just look at your paystubs and go off of those?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 12:49 PM

98 posts, read 297,851 times
restriced income places normally let you know the respective formulae on their websites, but i found that pay stubs work sufficiently and so does this site for nova: Rental Help:**Virginia - HUD

Old 03-04-2013, 11:14 PM

194 posts, read 400,877 times
Where are these "quite a few developments" that you speak of?? The only housing I've seen going up are luxury condos and apartments.

Rent restricted apts. are VERY STRICT. If you are right on the cusp of the income NOW, they are going to kick you out as soon as you get a raise and go over their maximum allowed income. They are going to ask to see your pay stubs every year to make sure you still qualify for the unit.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:05 AM

68 posts, read 122,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkieDC View Post
Where are these "quite a few developments" that you speak of?? The only housing I've seen going up are luxury condos and apartments.

Rent restricted apts. are VERY STRICT. If you are right on the cusp of the income NOW, they are going to kick you out as soon as you get a raise and go over their maximum allowed income. They are going to ask to see your pay stubs every year to make sure you still qualify for the unit.
Alot in Columbia Heights.

I am talking about condos, as many of them that are being built offer a few units at the income restricted price. So how would that work? If you qualified initially and then got a raise the next year, what would be the implications?

Old 03-05-2013, 08:56 PM

194 posts, read 400,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aduma View Post
Alot in Columbia Heights.

I am talking about condos, as many of them that are being built offer a few units at the income restricted price. So how would that work? If you qualified initially and then got a raise the next year, what would be the implications?
You'd be able to live in it for a year, than have to move out when your lease comes up. Units like that check your current income every single year.

I have never heard of an income restricted condo. Unless it's a rental.

Whichever place it is you're talking about, though, will undoubtedly want to see several of your most RECENT pay stubs. Not LAST YEAR'S tax returns. They're not stupid and they'll figure out your income is probably higher now.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:01 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,546,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkieDC View Post
You'd be able to live in it for a year, than have to move out when your lease comes up. Units like that check your current income every single year.

I have never heard of an income restricted condo. Unless it's a rental.
Nope, totally different. Income restricted condos have been around for quite a while, although they've become more common since DC passed inclusionary housing -- just before the market tanked, so the first such units are really just now coming online. You only have to be a qualified purchaser; you don't get kicked out once you're in the unit.

Depending on the city and the developer, there are various ways to bring the units to market. In most cities, like DC, you go through CDCs or city agencies that can be very thorough and provide homeowner education. Here in DC, the first step is to register with DHCD.

You should contact them to ask about how they'll want income to be documented. If it's AGI, there are many things that you can do to pull your AGI downwards; look to lines 24-36 of the 1040 for inspiration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC