Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2011, 10:17 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,900,405 times

Advertisements

I don't want to post this three times (MD suburbs, VA suburbs and DC), so I will try here first, but I'm interested in the entire metro.

We like going to IMAX theaters when we do see a movie, one reason is because due to its higher cost, it often screens out the riff raf people that make going to theaters not so fun (kicking the backs of seats, talking during movies, small children etc).

But we also just like the better sound and video. But some IMAX theaters are not really that much better than a standard theater.

Anybody know of some of the better theaters around the metro?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 10:42 AM

720 posts, read 1,555,358 times
I think the IMAX in Chantilly has the best quality, but the problem is 90% of the time they're only showing educational flix like the imax theaters at air & space museum instead of a box office flix. If it's a highly acclaimed movie (dark knight, avatar, etc.) they'll usually have it. Otherwise probably the one in Tysons Corner mall

Old 12-23-2011, 11:48 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
Tysons is awesome. I also have to concur with Bossman, the one out at the Air & Space Museum in VA is great too.

Apparently the Georgetown AMC just got an IMAX theater and I hear it's quite good.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:51 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,900,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Tysons is awesome. I also have to concur with Bossman, the one out at the Air & Space Museum in VA is great too.

Apparently the Georgetown AMC just got an IMAX theater and I hear it's quite good.
Thanks, I just figured out that air and space shows some first run movies, so might go that route, but good to know tysons and georgetown are options too. Tysons is crazy busy though haha.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:32 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,884,915 times
Another bump for Tysons.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 11,206 times
Of the IMAX 'digital' systems Tysons has the tallest screen and is my personal fave. The IMAX over at Natural History is my favorite the seats are more comfortable and better raked, the distance of the screen to the seating is more conformed and from what I can tell its the largest of the three Smithsonian screens. Starting in January (2015) both the Uvar Hazy and Natural History theaters will be closed til March for the change over / upgrade to the new laser projection system, as a result 3D features at Udvar Hazy can and will happen. Air & Space (on the Mall) will get the conversion at a latter yet TBA date

Old 11-22-2014, 04:34 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,353,220 times
Tysons IMAX is very nice. Also springfield town center, they serve you food and you have your own table.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:57 PM

74 posts, read 95,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstsr View Post
Of the IMAX 'digital' systems Tysons has the tallest screen and is my personal fave. The IMAX over at Natural History is my favorite the seats are more comfortable and better raked, the distance of the screen to the seating is more conformed and from what I can tell its the largest of the three Smithsonian screens. Starting in January (2015) both the Uvar Hazy and Natural History theaters will be closed til March for the change over / upgrade to the new laser projection system, as a result 3D features at Udvar Hazy can and will happen. Air & Space (on the Mall) will get the conversion at a latter yet TBA date
I saw "Interstellar" at the Uvar-Hazy center a week ago. Awesome to say the least. But my 2 questions are: the Uvar-Hazy center is getting an IMAX Digital projection system installed at their theater? And my second question is, as far as the Digital IMAX theaters, I've never been to the Tyson's Corner location but is the IMAX screen at the Tyson's Corner location a lot taller than say the Digital IMAX screen at the Potomac Mills location?

Old 12-07-2014, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 11,206 times
The Tysons screen is reported to be three stories tall, I've never been to the Potomac Mills screen to compare. Yes Udvar is getting the laser conversion and both screens are also getting the 12 speaker sound system upgrade - sound sourcing from the sides and above - to compete with Dolby Atmos and Auro 3D sound systems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: