Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 07:29 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,643,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
You gave him a measly .25 cent, yet you felt robbed? Really, wow.
Even if it were a penny I still would have felt robbed, because it wasn't the fact that he wanted money, it was how he asked for it that was out of line. You do not walk up to people during their financial transaction while they are holding money in their hands, and ask for it right there. People are generous - let them give of their own will. Damn, don't come right up to my purse over my shoulder making me feel like I'm being forced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 07:58 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Quite the opposite. If suburbanites steer clear, the District's economy will collapse into a worthless cesspool of $^%$^
LOL, the classic inflated sense of importance.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11kap View Post
conservatives have been having cows for 5 years
now that obama's the president, so what's the
difference?
+1

Old 06-08-2013, 05:24 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,215,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I don't hate suburbanites, it's too much touble. I do wish they would stay in the suburbs and stop clogging up the city streets. They are a real nusance. They have such an inflated sense of entitlement.
So anyone not living in DC isn't welcome in DC? Makes perfect sense. Say goodbye to the majority of your police and firemen then. You know, the people who risk their lives for selfish people like you.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
So anyone not living in DC isn't welcome in DC? Makes perfect sense. Say goodbye to the majority of your police and firemen then. You know, the people who risk their lives for selfish people like you.
Don't worry, people flock to jobs. The District will fill its needs for fire and police.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:05 PM

513 posts, read 961,904 times
TS, here is what you do. I consulted at the DC Govt - OCTO for 3 years in the early 200's. Chinatown was still somewhat dangerous at that time. I had to fight off a few of the locals who panhandled too aggressively or were thinking about robbing me a few times. Before they get too close....just say " I dont speak English". And they will usually leave you alone. The ones they dont have you just have confont them once and they wont ask you again the next time they see you.

War Marion Barry and his relatives never holding DC office again

Old 06-09-2013, 07:50 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Here's a story in NYC about what happened when cops aggressively pursued panhandlers.

Quote:
In 2012, the city settled the suit Wise had started on behalf of panhandlers arrested long after the state’s loitering laws were ruled unconstitutional.

Wise’s lawyers were awarded $3 million, and eight original plaintiffs got $25,000 each. The rest was to be divided into small settlements.

Last year, attorney Katie Rosenfeld said Wise was due for another payout because he was arrested again after his 2007 settlement.

He never received it.
City’s famous panhandler Eddie Wise, who won $100,000 from NYPD settlement, found dead in Bronx at age 51 - NYPOST.com

Old 06-09-2013, 06:02 PM

155 posts, read 310,693 times
I grew up in a city, not D.C. We had a vagrant who would ask for a dollar or a Coca Cola to sweep the parking lot of the fast food places.

Managers of these Chinatown restaurants should think of paying the vagrants to get a broom and clean the lots or streets. But then the unionized city street cleaners would probably protest.

I would bring my lunch and start finding a nice location to eat and absolutely NOT frequent a restaurant that allows their paying customers to be harassed.

Managers of the Chinatown restaurants could also invest in private security to stand at the door. That's how other cities do it!

Start reporting the street harassment you see even if you are a bystander at sites like Collective Action for Safe Spaces D.C. or Hollaback DC. Just Google "stop street harassment in D.C." and you will find the links.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:30 PM

465 posts, read 928,495 times
Safe Spaces and Hollback only care about paranoid white feminists who think a random guy making eye contact with them counting as 'sexual assault'. They don't care about panhandlers or other types.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:02 AM

155 posts, read 310,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
Safe Spaces and Hollback only care about paranoid white feminists who think a random guy making eye contact with them counting as 'sexual assault'. They don't care about panhandlers or other types.
You don't know when a random panhandler might approach you and then take out a gun and rob you. They are too bold here in D.C., actually feeling entitled to walk up to you and get in your space, even walk up to you while you're sitting outside eating in a restaurant patio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC