Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 04:58 AM

30 posts, read 43,505 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to DC in January to start a new position for 12 months. I am moving from abroad, but have previously lived in Crystal City and really enjoyed the safety, charm and proximity to the monuments/city.

I am a 25 year old male and will prefer to live in Pentagon City/Crystal City as I know the area but wouldn't rule out Rosslyn, Alexandria and the inner-north west of DC. I am trying to get the maximum for my budget which is around $1300 a month, and recognise it will be difficult to do this. I am not single, but my girl friend will be living at her university but would like to be able to provide a comfortable place for her when she visits. I am not fussed on nightlife, I've had my party days but would like to be near eventful regions as I am a musician and enjoy live music, coffee and good food. As I am moving from abroad I will rely purely on the metro and will not be bringing furniture with me.

If anybody can shoot some tips my way that would be helpful. Also any information on some non-denominational churches would be nice. I come from a Hillsong and would like to get involved in the creative ministry whilst I am working.

Thank you so much and I look forward to your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 12:59 PM

194 posts, read 400,447 times
Try Craigslist

Efficiency Apartment - Walking distance to Ballston Metro

Here's my building. Let me know if you end up renting there as I get some sort of a bonus, ha!

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...074942627.html

Old 10-04-2013, 10:43 PM

I was looking into Woodley Park, this is a nice area correct? My work is in Judiciary Square so anywhere close to a red-line metro may be more suitable

Old 10-04-2013, 11:01 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
Woodley park is a great area, there is an added benefit of being close to adams-morgan there. Many places on the red line are great places to live.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:59 PM

There's a building right on Connecticut Ave. about one block from the Woodley Park Metro. It's called the Parkway. The efficiencies there are reasonable or at least they used to be. The catch? They don't have kitchens!

http://www.daroapartments.com/apartm...way-apartments

Old 10-08-2013, 05:39 AM

Thanks for the tips!!

No kitchen will be an issue... I LOVE to cook!

Alexandria? Maybe a little far away from the centre of town but it seems to be cheaper for furnished apartments

Old 10-08-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjk View Post
Thanks for the tips!!

No kitchen will be an issue... I LOVE to cook!

Alexandria? Maybe a little far away from the centre of town but it seems to be cheaper for furnished apartments
Don't rule out the Parkway because their website says "updated kitchens" so maybe they added some.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:47 AM

Thank you. I have emailed them to inquire.

The Dupont Circle/Adams Morgan area is quite safe? I know that there is a rule the more east you go the more dense/unsafe it becomes, is this applicable to the areas east of Dupont/Adams Morgan?

Old 10-20-2013, 12:28 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjk View Post
Thank you. I have emailed them to inquire.

The Dupont Circle/Adams Morgan area is quite safe? I know that there is a rule the more east you go the more dense/unsafe it becomes, is this applicable to the areas east of Dupont/Adams Morgan?
The old rules you should really throw in the shredder, it is a bit more complicated now and the okay areas are a bit wider, and the only areas really to avoid are east of the Anacostia. With some which are spotty areas in NE.

In the past it used to be anywhere east of rock creek park that was bad, now it is anywhere east of the anacostia which should be avoided. Many formerly bad neighborhoods are gentrified.

For example, columbia heights, logan circle, u street, shaw, le droit park, used to be all bad areas. Now I would place them on a recommended list. Even within the last five years the change has been substantial, DC is in a process of rapid change.

The point being is you can no longer make the same assumption much of dc is dangerous. There are far more good areas these days.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:23 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
In the past it used to be anywhere east of rock creek park that was bad, now it is anywhere east of the anacostia which should be avoided. Many formerly bad neighborhoods are gentrified.

For example, columbia heights, logan circle, u street, shaw, le droit park, used to be all bad areas. Now I would place them on a recommended list. Even within the last five years the change has been substantial, DC is in a process of rapid change.
I'd also include Petworth and Brightwood, but the catch being they are on bus lines, rather than Metro. The closer to a Metro stop, the more expensive and "gentrified" it will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC