Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2013, 10:08 PM

17 posts, read 59,645 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to DC and looking for an apartment. One of my main needs is to be within a 5-minute-or-so walk of an area where my dog can run and play with other dogs off-leash. In addition to the official off-leash areas, do you know of places that are not official dog parks but where people let dogs off-leash and where there are likely to be other dogs around for my dog to play with?

Please note: My dog is well-trained and under voice command (ie, comes when I call). I don't want to be an inconsiderate neighbor, so I'm looking for places where it's generally considered "ok" by the neighbors for dogs to be off-leash. For instance, right now I live near a school in Seattle that allows people to have their dogs off-leash after school hours in the schoolyard, because it keeps drug dealers away. Similarly, a friend lives near a park where dog owners congregate in a well-defined area after work and the neighbors are fine with it. These are the kinds of places I'm looking for in DC or MD/VA suburbs.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 10:14 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
Does it have to be "unofficial"?

There are lots of nice legitimate dog parks in Arlington/Falls Church/Alexandria that are sanctioned off leash areas. Most are fenced, some are not.

This area (Northern Virginia, at least) is extremely law abiding when it comes to dogs. I have never seen an off leash dog in a school or park (there are strict leash laws, and in the case of schools no dogs are allowed on school property). I do occasionally allow my dog to chase squirrels in the woods behind my house, but we live pretty far from a metro. It would never fly in the more densely populated metro accessible areas.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:26 AM

17 posts, read 59,645 times
Quote:
Does it have to be "unofficial"?
I'm totally happy (and would prefer) to use an official off-leash park. But I can find those pretty easily from 3,000 miles away by googling - I was asking about unofficial parks so as to potentially widen the number of neighborhoods I look at to live.

But that's good to know about NoVa and the law-abiding dog owners - thanks!

Old 11-27-2013, 09:55 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,892,512 times
Virginia is extremely strict on leash laws, which I appreciate as I never know if the owner is loving or abusive to their pets. bad owner, bad pet).

I don't think Metro allows any non-service pets so you'll need to drive. Don't be limited to Metro accessible doggie playgrounds.

I will suggest Congressional Cemetary's fabulous dog program. Its awesome:

[url=http://www.congressionalcemetery.org/dogwalking-program]Dogwalking Program | Historic Congressional Cemetery[/url]

Old 11-27-2013, 07:19 PM

69 posts, read 113,154 times
navy yard

Old 11-28-2013, 09:42 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Virginia is extremely strict on leash laws, which I appreciate as I never know if the owner is loving or abusive to their pets. bad owner, bad pet).

I don't think Metro allows any non-service pets so you'll need to drive. Don't be limited to Metro accessible doggie playgrounds.

I will suggest Congressional Cemetary's fabulous dog program. Its awesome:

Dogwalking Program | Historic Congressional Cemetery
This. Don't take your dog on the metro unless it's a service animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC