Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 09:08 AM

494 posts, read 849,401 times

Advertisements

I've been noticing some places near Stadium-Armory Metro that have become available. I have been told that it is a somewhat sketchy area, but these things are changing fairly rapidly. In the immediate area is a jail, an old hospital (which I think is a homeless shelter?) and a football stadium, that doesn't seem to be used very much.
Is this area safe? Does it have potential? What should I be concerned about? Any impending development in the area? What do you guys think?
And before anyone says "safety is individual", my idea of safe is someplace where crime can happen, but usually not if you keep aware and your wits about you. Being able to walk home from the Metro at night without a whole lot of worry (again as long as you keep aware of your surroundings).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 09:13 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,358,377 times
Avoid. Still a long way to go

Old 06-27-2014, 09:15 AM

465 posts, read 657,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Avoid. Still a long way to go

LOL not according to District Sonic. According to her all you need to avoid in DC are Wards 7 and 8 and you'll be perfectly safe.. SMFH

Old 06-27-2014, 09:18 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,824 times
It's not that bad. It depends exactly where you're looking. There are some problems at the shelter but it's a bit isolated. There's also Potomac Gardens which is low income housing. Even that isn't too bad any more. It really depends what you feel comfortable with.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:38 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
It has more crime than the nearby areas on the Hill, but I agree it's not that bad. I would be careful walking around there at night but not frightened. I had a friend who lived near Stadium/Armory for years and never had a problem.

The bigger problem is if you want a super-walkable neighborhood, this is not it. It's walkable, there is just not much in the way of commercial development to walk to. There is a Safeway at 14th and D, and then some little corner stores I think here and there, but if you want a bar, a restaurant and major commercial development you have to walk over a half-mile to around the Potomac Ave metro. I wouldn't want to live around there without a car.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:49 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
safe people move around there too. everyone isn't rowdy, you know?

Old 06-29-2014, 09:33 AM

5 posts, read 20,422 times
My wife and I have lived here, near the southern metro entrance, for about 2 years, and she lived around Lincoln Park for a couple years before that. Based on the eastern Hill's reputation, I was expecting to deal with crime and general sketchiness on a regular basis, but the neighborhood has turned out to be very safe and comfortable.

Obviously, some blocks are nicer than others, but there aren't any areas between the metro and Lincoln Park that you need to avoid. North of C St NE ("Kingman Park/Rosedale"), things get a little grittier, but I know several young people buying houses up there.

As far as amenities, there aren't many restaurants or retail options at the moment, but Barracks Row and H St are just a quick bike ride - or leisurely walk - away if you want to eat out or meet up with friends.

If schools are a consideration for you, you may want to look closely at the existing (and proposed school boundaries). Maury ES is well regarded and covers areas north of East Capitol St and west of 17th St NE. Watkins ES & Stuart-Hobson MS are decent and cover areas south of D St SE. Payne ES covers the area in between. It has historically been the worst performing of the three elementary schools, but I know there's a group trying to organize neighborhood parents and make it a more acceptable destination.

Regarding the jail and homeless shelter area (formally known as "Reservation 13"), it's slated for redevelopment, but mustering the political momentum to relocate those services has been major problem. Last year, the city awarded the parking lots along 19th St to a developer, so there should be some new stuff there in a couple years. The north part of the site, along Independence Ave, is set to be cleared in the next year or so, which would open it up to be awarded as well. The shelter has been a total black-eye for the city (highlighted by the Relisha Rudd case this spring), and the city council has started to put more resources into closing it down, but it will probably take awhile (5 years?) to relocate all the families living there.

Personally, I think Hill East is a great place to be buying into now. The neighborhood itself has changed much, much faster than its reputation, and over the next few years, I think it will become virtually indistinguishable from the more traditional parts of Capitol Hill.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuqueBlue View Post
My wife and I have lived here, near the southern metro entrance, for about 2 years, and she lived around Lincoln Park for a couple years before that. Based on the eastern Hill's reputation, I was expecting to deal with crime and general sketchiness on a regular basis, but the neighborhood has turned out to be very safe and comfortable.

Obviously, some blocks are nicer than others, but there aren't any areas between the metro and Lincoln Park that you need to avoid. North of C St NE ("Kingman Park/Rosedale"), things get a little grittier, but I know several young people buying houses up there.

As far as amenities, there aren't many restaurants or retail options at the moment, but Barracks Row and H St are just a quick bike ride - or leisurely walk - away if you want to eat out or meet up with friends.

If schools are a consideration for you, you may want to look closely at the existing (and proposed school boundaries). Maury ES is well regarded and covers areas north of East Capitol St and west of 17th St NE. Watkins ES & Stuart-Hobson MS are decent and cover areas south of D St SE. Payne ES covers the area in between. It has historically been the worst performing of the three elementary schools, but I know there's a group trying to organize neighborhood parents and make it a more acceptable destination.

Regarding the jail and homeless shelter area (formally known as "Reservation 13"), it's slated for redevelopment, but mustering the political momentum to relocate those services has been major problem. Last year, the city awarded the parking lots along 19th St to a developer, so there should be some new stuff there in a couple years. The north part of the site, along Independence Ave, is set to be cleared in the next year or so, which would open it up to be awarded as well. The shelter has been a total black-eye for the city (highlighted by the Relisha Rudd case this spring), and the city council has started to put more resources into closing it down, but it will probably take awhile (5 years?) to relocate all the families living there.

Personally, I think Hill East is a great place to be buying into now. The neighborhood itself has changed much, much faster than its reputation, and over the next few years, I think it will become virtually indistinguishable from the more traditional parts of Capitol Hill.
That's really helpful. Thanks! We are considering a house in the area.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:05 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,430,725 times
Honestly this is not a very good area, the area has a reputation for crime and low income housing. The football stadium you are referring to is RFK stadium which is literally falling apart due to poor upkeep and an eye sore in dire need of renovations, the stadium is currently primiarily used as the home stadium for DC's MLS team, DC United, however, the team has already announced that they will be moving out into a new stadium elsewhere in upcoming years, this mean that in a couple of years RFK Stadium will officially be abandoned, this is somewhat reflective of the area..

Old 06-30-2014, 11:43 AM

We visited the house this weekend. The house was nice, but the area was not what we were looking for. We decided to pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC