Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 01:08 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times

Advertisements

Oh boy.

Washington Post Editorial Board Stops Use of "Redskins" | NBC4 Washington
Quote:
In yet another media-related boycott of the Washington Redskins, the Washington Post's editorial board said Friday that it will no longer use the polarizing moniker when referring to the team.

"While we wait for the NFL to catch up with public opinion and common decency we have decided not to use the slur ourselves except when it is essential for clarity or effect," the board said in a statement.
Does this change your support or lack of support for this publication?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 02:31 PM

199 posts, read 334,130 times
It doesn't really change my support for the Post, as I'm already a subscriber, but it does gain them some respect from me in my book.

Of course, it's also a nice little "F You" to Dan Snyder, considering the team signed an exclusive coverage deal with the rival Washington Times.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opacy View Post
It doesn't really change my support for the Post, as I'm already a subscriber, but it does gain them some respect from me in my book.

Of course, it's also a nice little "F You" to Dan Snyder, considering the team signed an exclusive coverage deal with the rival Washington Times.
Well that makes this more telling than what I originally thought. It is one thing if there was some strong conviction for this cause, but it seems more and more you have these liberal-leaning publications/figures who are latching on to this movement for the wrong reasons. If you disagree with the usage of the name, fine, but at least if you feel that way you should stop covering the team and promoting the team in any type of way. To me that is a clearer message than just simply stop using the name. Honestly all you are doing is promoting the team. The point that you make, seems more like an angry child lashing out than a mature organization sending an intelligent message. If you are really sincere about making a stance, then don't cover the team at all, don't go to the games, don't have any association with the team at all.

And this is coming from someone that has Native American in my bloodline and someone who thinks the name is racist, but at the same time Dan Snyder owns this team and it's his choice to change the team, just like it's my choice to not spend my money to support them.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:06 AM

494 posts, read 849,880 times
The Washington Post is the main newspaper for the Metro region. How could they just decide to not cover the local football team? Regardless of what they think about the team, name, or owner, it's news. That would be akin to not covering a candidate because the editorial board doesn't agree with his views.
I think the Post did it right. The editorial section can reflect the views if the paper, while the separate news division reports the news and the name that the team has picked for itself.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:31 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
Oh after 100 years, all of a sudden they have a bout of conscience. It's like the ice bucket challenge, it's the "cool" thing to do now

Old 08-24-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
The Washington Post is the main newspaper for the Metro region. How could they just decide to not cover the local football team? Regardless of what they think about the team, name, or owner, it's news. That would be akin to not covering a candidate because the editorial board doesn't agree with his views.
I think the Post did it right. The editorial section can reflect the views if the paper, while the separate news division reports the news and the name that the team has picked for itself.
So not calling a football team by the official name they have, makes sense though? How stupid is that? Did the team just now get the name? Why have they waited all this time to make this decision? Is it a coincidence that this happened the same time that they made a deal with Washington Times? It's not about if this is right or wrong, it's about the motivation behind it. It's wrong and gives people a false perception that they care.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
So not calling a football team by the official name they have, makes sense though? How stupid is that? Did the team just now get the name? Why have they waited all this time to make this decision? Is it a coincidence that this happened the same time that they made a deal with Washington Times? It's not about if this is right or wrong, it's about the motivation behind it. It's wrong and gives people a false perception that they care.
Because if something is done for a long time, that means it can never change. And attitudes about topics can't change either. That never happens...

Old 08-25-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
Because if something is done for a long time, that means it can never change. And attitudes about topics can't change either. That never happens...
Irrelevant to what I said.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Irrelevant to what I said.
You asked about the timing of their decision. How is what I posted not relevant?

Old 08-25-2014, 07:12 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Maybe the Post will stop reporting any news that the Post Editorial Board finds personally offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC