Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 11:47 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameworks View Post
Hi there!

I just recently moved to the DC area (October I moved to Fairfax, then December I moved again to Alexandria).

My problem is I don't know anybody here or what to do. I am a generally geeky-ish kind of guy (23yo male) and not very gregarious, so I don't want to do the bar thing, and I can't really figure out what else to do. I've looked at some of the meetup groups but they don't seem to be very active on weekends (I work a lot) and the singles groups seem too old for me. For example, the professionals in the city mixer events seemed like they were targeted at 30's+.

So far I've been finding myself wandering into the city to see the museums alone mostly. Ideally I'd just like to find people to do that with.

Other problem -- I don't drive, so whatever I do has to be reasonably metro-accessible. My walking limit is 2-2.5 miles.
At work, where you need to be working a long hours, and have no life.

Meetups are awkward, and bars are only fun when you're with your bff, and it's too conservative here that people don't go wild like other big cities.

Just forget all that, and enjoy yourself. Do things you want, work hard, then save up your money. Take your 7 years worth of savings, and go some place where you can meet some awesome people that won't judge you or ask you, "what do you do, where did you go to school".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 08:39 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
At work, where you need to be working a long hours, and have no life.

Meetups are awkward, and bars are only fun when you're with your bff, and it's too conservative here that people don't go wild like other big cities.

Just forget all that, and enjoy yourself. Do things you want, work hard, then save up your money. Take your 7 years worth of savings, and go some place where you can meet some awesome people that won't judge you or ask you, "what do you do, where did you go to school".
Meeting at work is generally considered a bad idea but you're so right....it seems to be ok and the norm in DC since people spend all day together and usually go to happy hour together.

Meetups are definitely awkward. There are some attractive women that go but the majority aren't friendly or just plain weird.

I will say I agree about the savings. It appears most people in DC are homebodies. I swear all my neighbors have dogs which tells me they have no social life and taking care of their dog is what they do when they're not working. I love this post! HAHA! So right!

Old 01-17-2015, 08:41 AM

35 posts, read 40,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Meeting at work is generally considered a bad idea but you're so right....it seems to be ok and the norm in DC since people spend all day together and usually go to happy hour together.

Meetups are definitely awkward. There are some attractive women that go but the majority aren't friendly or just plain weird.

I will say I agree about the savings. It appears most people in DC are homebodies. I swear all my neighbors have dogs which tells me they have no social life and taking care of their dog is what they do when they're not working. I love this post! HAHA! So right!
Wow, that's depressing.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameworks View Post
Wow, that's depressing.
Not really. I find women outside of DC (let's say at least 15 miles outside of the beltway) to be more interested in relationships. Generally speaking, when I'm in Northern VA (Tyson's, Reston, Fairfax, etc.) I find the women to be more feminine meaning they are usually pretty friendly, dress femininely, approachable, etc. DC people in general are a different breed since it is such a transient city. It is also a highly educated city and I truly feel a lot of people who are academically gifted tend to suffer when it comes to social norms. I tend to date women in Northern VA or MD because I feel more of them are interested in a relationship. Women I meet in DC tend to be serial daters because they can't find men "good enough" for them.

Last edited by RLCMA; 01-17-2015 at 01:52 PM..

Old 01-17-2015, 04:46 PM

465 posts, read 658,061 times
Quote:
Not really. I find women outside of DC (let's say at least 15 miles outside of the beltway) to be more interested in relationships. Generally speaking, when I'm in Northern VA (Tyson's, Reston, Fairfax, etc.) I find the women to be more feminine meaning they are usually pretty friendly, dress femininely, approachable, etc. DC people in general are a different breed since it is such a transient city. It is also a highly educated city and I truly feel a lot of people who are academically gifted tend to suffer when it comes to social norms. I tend to date women in Northern VA or MD because I feel more of them are interested in a relationship. Women I meet in DC tend to be serial daters because they can't find men "good enough" for them.
Most of us that are actually from DC don't actually consider transients to be DC people. Native Washingtonians are extremely fun and definitely like to get wild. Ironically most of these so-called DC people that you're talking about actually are from the very cities that you say are so much fun.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
Most of us that are actually from DC don't actually consider transients to be DC people. Native Washingtonians are extremely fun and definitely like to get wild. Ironically most of these so-called DC people that you're talking about actually are from the very cities that you say are so much fun.
Oh I know. I know plenty of Washingtonians and the consensus is you have to have lived here for a least 20 years to call yourself a Washingtonian. I never said any city was fun. Every state, city, town is very different. Personally, I love DC because I think it is a beautiful city with a lot to do in the city proper and within 50 miles. However, what I don't like about DC is that I find a lot of people are uptight and socially awkward but this is just a generalization and my own opinion. I never see my neighbors out at local restaurants as I believe most are homebodies. Some work long hours, some don't. I truly believe that because we have so many people in DC that were very bright students and now work for and with the government that you get socially awkward serious people who watch what they say and do. Most were focused on school and probably come from an upbringing that focused on good grades, a decent amount of extracurricular activities, and very few sleepovers at their friends houses meaning their parents had a lot of control over them (to motivate them to be academic overachievers).

Old 01-18-2015, 06:33 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,522 times
Quote:

I agree with the notion of, "Don't Poop where you eat", but you'd be surprise how many people in DC are now married through work. I tell my co-workers this all the time, that they spend more time with me then their loved ones. It's an odd thing, but it's true.

Just remember. DC hot girl 9/10 is other cities 6/10.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:51 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Seriously, try any of these organizations

"State Societies" - these are active social clubs for D.C. transplants from individual states. Contact your homestate Congressman's office for information, or google "(Name of your state) State Society"

Ski Club of Washington DC (Don't be fooled by the name - they have countless activities of all kinds)

First Class, Inc. - Your Center for Lifelong Learning

http://Smithsonianassociates.org

Welcome to Single Volunteers of DC Website

Washington Women Outdoors Home

Washington DC Chapter | Explore, enjoy & protect the planet

Potomac Pedalers

http://CenterHikingClub.org

http://CapitalHikingClub.org

Wanderbirds Hiking Club - Home

http://potomacappalachian.org

Old 01-19-2015, 08:21 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
And if you're turned off by churches, then try a Unitarian Universalist church. They don't require belief in any creed or dogma at all. They just believe in doing good, and helping the world through social justice, discussions, and environmental causes. There are many UU congregations in this area.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:16 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,662 times
I would really like to know more about the personality types that see the need to resort to a LIST of clubs and groups to meet people.

Look, let's be honest here. Most of the people who show up to the "LIST" of groups are those that are looking for friends and or those that have been told to join a few groups from the "LIST". Get it? So essentially, you will be among people in these groups that have no friends, have their own quirks, issues, and excuses for no finding friends. Work long hours but still wonder why they don't' have friends.... You are an adult. Your friends are your childhood friends, co-workers, neighbors, or anyone you spend time around with often. Anything else is just passing time.

Look, I am involved in a lot of things from music production, fitness, djing, government work, military, family, social, etc. I meet more people daily than I want to but most of my friends are online/work related. My best buds are in NJ. My good military buddy I have known since 17 years ago in bootcamp and spent time in Japan together now lives 20 min away and I hardly see him. I don't meet up with people. The Saturday nights are spent djing and traveling. I meet all types of people but never call them. I don't have time to chat them up. There are hardly any dinner dates or meet ups unless I go back home to NY/NJ where I spend time with family and best/close friends. Anyway, moving on.

It's not a bad thing but you have to understand the social dynamics surrounding groups that cater to "meeting people". And let's be honest here. The meetup groups, unless they rely on some type of activity that the members are proficient at, are awkward. You come in alone with no friends. Guy sitting next to you also is new in town with no friends. It's not ogranic and it is strange. It's weired.

I am not talking about activity groups like dancing, going to a movie, or music groups. I am talking about the ones where people with no friends gather to meet people at some **** hole bar with no friends twiddling their thumbs. This is not normal. It's just the form of appeasing the weak. (again, not the activity clubs but the musical chairs type groups)

What needs to happen is you research activities that you are good at or have an interest. You have to bring something to the table instead of extending your hand and talking about "I need a friend". You role up with no intentions on meeting people. Observe, chat up if possible, but don't be intrusive. Be involved in the activities. Don't attend the ones that just sitting around introducing themselves and sipping on light coronas at the end of the bar.

Do that a few times to that same group and become familiar with the people or that venue. Group hopping only puts you at ground zero because now you are faced with meeting a new set of people and have to warm up to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: