Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,777 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I've asked several people about this but can't get a clear answer. I am moving to the DC area in the next three weeks. I will be working at Fort Meade for the next year, but Summer 2016 I plan to quit my job and attend grad school at GWU. I know GWU is in Foggy Bottom but the campus where most of my classes will be is in Mount Vernon, VA.

So I would like to rent a place that has a reasonable driving commute to Fort Meade, but is also very close to the Metro so I can take it to GWU after a year of being there when I don't work at Fort Meade anymore. I don't want to have to move in between the job and school so I'm trying to find a place to split the difference. If I had to choose, I'd rather live closer to the school than Fort Meade, since Fort Meade will only be for one year but I will be in grad school for two years.

So far I've looked at Silver Spring and College Park, and while that Metro commute might not be bad to Foggy Bottom, I'm thinking it would be worse for Mount Vernon. I was also thinking about Arlington, while it would be convenient for DC and super convenient for Mount Vernon, it would suck horribly making that commute to Fort Meade every day for a year.

I'd rather rent a townhouse or a house than an apartment, and my price range is <$2000.

Thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 04:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,933 times
The Mount Vernon campus is not in Virginia, but in DC. It is three miles north west of the main campus.

Mount Vernon Campus | The George Washington University

Old 04-22-2015, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,777 times
Oh wow, you're right. When I saw Mount Vernon I guess I just assumed it was THE Mount Vernon. Ok cool, so at least that narrows it down to north DC and cuts Arlington out of the picture. So I guess my top two choices now would be Bethesda vs Silver Spring.

Last edited by badmashvoodoo; 04-22-2015 at 05:34 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 06:05 PM

15 posts, read 17,326 times
There is a shuttle that runs every 15 minutes from the Foggy Bottom to Mt. Vernon campus. it takes no time to get there. I would just take the metro to the Foggy Bottom station and then take the shuttle. Here is the link for the Vern Express: Mount Vernon Shuttle / The Vern Express | Transportation & Parking Services | The George Washington University

Old 04-22-2015, 10:44 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmashvoodoo View Post
Oh wow, you're right. When I saw Mount Vernon I guess I just assumed it was THE Mount Vernon. Ok cool, so at least that narrows it down to north DC and cuts Arlington out of the picture. So I guess my top two choices now would be Bethesda vs Silver Spring.
Takoma, DC/Takoma Park, MD would be a good choice too.

My advice if you are looking to save money, Takoma-Takoma Park-Silver Spring is your best bet. Bethesda can be crazy expensive. Plus if you are a young person, you might find these areas more attractive than Bethesda, which tends to skew older and is more family focused.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:01 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,569 times
I personally would hate to have to take two metro trains and a shuttle bus. You're looking at like an easy one hour commute door-to-door to go 7 miles.

Maybe either move after a year or settle for an apartment in Capitol Hill that will be convenient to both 295 for Fort Meade and the Orange/Blue/Silver lines for GW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: