Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 01:42 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,864 times

Advertisements

This is just a general inquiry that I've had for quite sometime about Washington D.C., our Nation's capitol, and the amount of intellectualism that runs through it that is somewhat reminiscent of a well-oiled machine that is self-generating.

It's been duly noted, that DC has some of the most smartest, well-educated and creative people on the planet working and innovating all over the district. Can DC take this intellectual prize hands-down....Boston or New York anyone??!

Old 10-01-2015, 01:51 PM

I'm not trying to make this all about degrees and high level of educational attainment (no doubt-it matters), but I'm wanting to expand the definition of what "intellectualism" is and how it relates to everyday people and city life. There's always been a plethora of brilliant/creative people with no degrees doing positive, intelligent and progressive work out in the world who don't get the recognition they should. How do these people fit into that matrix?

Old 10-01-2015, 02:15 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,074 times
I'd say we have a shortage of intellectualism, actually. What we have way too much of here, there, and everywhere is ANTI-intellectualism, so much of that having been shoveled off onto people by what passes these days for "the media".

Old 10-02-2015, 06:53 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,360 times
We definitely don't take it hands down but we easily compete with the Bay Area, Boston, and NYC.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:51 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
I think Boston deserves to be called the intellectual capital of America because of the universities.

Washington DC is up there in the working world of politics, government, law, science and technology, etc. You have to survive intellectually (to a certain extent) to become successful in any field.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:25 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,074 times
Degrees from the likes of Harvard and MIT are one reason why the DC area is so highly educated overall. The opportunity to work on serious problems with the best subject matter experts in the world lures many a top graduate to this area. The lobster salad and Fenway Park might keep some enslaved, but certainly many do still get away.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:27 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,922 times
The only contender would be Boston, not NYC or SF. I agree Boston would come out ahead. There really are no other contenders. I actually think Boston wins out a little because it is more of an academy. In terms of education, DC is more educated than Boston, but the focus of DC is more one for praxis, not theory. Basically they are very close, but Boston edges out because it's more focused on the academy and research.

With that being said, because of the high concentration of think tanks, nonprofits, NGOs, and the intellectualism that surrounds policy and governance there is a high degree of intellectualism in DC.

I would not put NYC in this category. This is no knock against NYC, but it really is not the same thing, I would not even say it's a contender. It lacks the needed concentration you find in Boston and DC, and it doesn't get there just from being NYC. The Bay Area is close and there, but there is less of a focus on intellectualism even with it's highly educated population. Most just have a bachelors, and the drive is largely around financial success and product creation, it's more capitalistic than intellectual (the same can be said with regards to NYC). Both areas are more financially driven as well, less bastions of intellectualism than aggressive capitalism. People go to NYC and SF to get rich, people do not go to DC or Boston for that purpose. SF though does have a percentage going to there for scientific innovation for innovations sake.

Again if you look at the two cities with the highest percentage of graduate school attainment, it's just DC and Boston. This is number 1 (DC) and number 2 (Boston), and no other cities area really close. Boston though gets the edge, because intellectualism is it's primary industry, DC, it's something else.

If I were to rank it.
1. Boston
2. DC
3. SF

And the list would end there.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:29 AM

Thanks for your input!

DistrictSonic, where would you place the cities of Baltimore, MD and Philadelphia, PA on the intellectual scale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
The only contender would be Boston, not NYC or SF. I agree Boston would come out ahead. There really are no other contenders. I actually think Boston wins out a little because it is more of an academy. In terms of education, DC is more educated than Boston, but the focus of DC is more one for praxis, not theory. Basically they are very close, but Boston edges out because it's more focused on the academy and research.

With that being said, because of the high concentration of think tanks, nonprofits, NGOs, and the intellectualism that surrounds policy and governance there is a high degree of intellectualism in DC.

I would not put NYC in this category. This is no knock against NYC, but it really is not the same thing, I would not even say it's a contender. It lacks the needed concentration you find in Boston and DC, and it doesn't get there just from being NYC. The Bay Area is close and there, but there is less of a focus on intellectualism even with it's highly educated population. Most just have a bachelors, and the drive is largely around financial success and product creation, it's more capitalistic than intellectual (the same can be said with regards to NYC). Both areas are more financially driven as well, less bastions of intellectualism than aggressive capitalism. People go to NYC and SF to get rich, people do not go to DC or Boston for that purpose. SF though does have a percentage going to there for scientific innovation for innovations sake.

Again if you look at the two cities with the highest percentage of graduate school attainment, it's just DC and Boston. This is number 1 (DC) and number 2 (Boston), and no other cities area really close. Boston though gets the edge, because intellectualism is it's primary industry, DC, it's something else.

If I were to rank it.
1. Boston
2. DC
3. SF

And the list would end there.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:34 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,520,966 times
The Boston argument is dumb.

People need to stop confusing education with intellectualism. Its not the same thing. Any moron can get an education. Learning to THINK and having real intelligence is what intellectualism is. It has nothing to do with how many colleges or schools are in an area.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:51 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
The Boston argument is dumb.

People need to stop confusing education with intellectualism. Its not the same thing. Any moron can get an education. Learning to THINK and having real intelligence is what intellectualism is. It has nothing to do with how many colleges or schools are in an area.
Boston has hundreds of thousands of people dedicated to advancing research as their profession. It goes beyond education, but life purpose and focus. They do it for little money and the explicit purpose of advancing human knowledge and understanding.

These are not just kids in school getting an education, these are professional researchers. This is not confusing education with intellectualism, it's understanding much of the focus of Boston universities is not "education", but research.

DC has a great deal of research too, but it happens at think tanks, government facilities, etc. Again this is real intellectualism, it goes beyond getting an education, to intellectual curiosity and advancing humanity.

Boston gets the credit it does for a reason, as does DC. In a country filled with anti-intellectualism, these two cities do stand out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: