Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,382 times

Advertisements

I have explored and lived in many places around this fine country called America the last 35 years and let me say, after returning to DC proper since May I am captivated by the sheer beauty and transformation our nation's capital has phased into. From the food scene, outdoor activities, elevated bars that rival the LA/NYC flair, and improved quality of life all-around in the new buildings being constructed (albeit some are more so on the conservative side).

I just want to commend the community for embracing this change; I really envision DC to compete with the ranks of "complete" cities in the upcoming decades. Now what can we do about this weather?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 05:23 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,567,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPlayah View Post
I have explored and lived in many places around this fine country called America the last 35 years and let me say, after returning to DC proper since May I am captivated by the sheer beauty and transformation our nation's capital has phased into. From the food scene, outdoor activities, elevated bars that rival the LA/NYC flair, and improved quality of life all-around in the new buildings being constructed (albeit some are more so on the conservative side).

I just want to commend the community for embracing this change; I really envision DC to compete with the ranks of "complete" cities in the upcoming decades. Now what can we do about this weather?!?
Nothing unfortunately. Summer in most of this country sucks.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:29 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,654,996 times
Ehhh. I've lived here all my life and it still feels more like a town then a full-flegded city. It's coming together better, though, I will say.

There's still the lack of a true DC "culture". The only one we kinda had going was in the 80's/90's during the hey-day of go-go and whatnot, but now since gentrification came along, I feel like its just more and more hipsters and yuppies taking over the scene.

Example, U Street and H Street are nowhere what they used to be even 10 years ago.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,187 times
Hi all, I am from New York and i love my city.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:48 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,526,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Ehhh. I've lived here all my life and it still feels more like a town then a full-flegded city. It's coming together better, though, I will say.

There's still the lack of a true DC "culture". The only one we kinda had going was in the 80's/90's during the hey-day of go-go and whatnot, but now since gentrification came along, I feel like its just more and more hipsters and yuppies taking over the scene.

Example, U Street and H Street are nowhere what they used to be even 10 years ago.
Most cities in the U.S. are losing their so-call "culture" anyway. Culture is not the kind of thing that is carved in stone. It is something born from geographic isolation and segregation. Now that the millennial generation is coming of age and we are in the information age with gentrification moving people around.. you will see a gradual decline in "local culture" across the U.S.

Kids today grow up with smart phones and the Internet. This takes away some of the impact growing up in a certain neighborhood or city has on their identity because kids are exposed to ideas and information from all over the country and the world. Ideas and customs are no longer segregated to certain locations to create "local cultures" in the same way they used to.

I think the big misconception is that this is necessarily a bad thing. I think people having less reasons to divide and segregate themselves is a good thing.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:56 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,976,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Most cities in the U.S. are losing their so-call "culture" anyway. Culture is not the kind of thing that is carved in stone. It is something born from geographic isolation and segregation. Now that the millennial generation is coming of age and we are in the information age with gentrification moving people around.. you will see a gradual decline in "local culture" across the U.S.

Kids today grow up with smart phones and the Internet. This takes away some of the impact growing up in a certain neighborhood or city has on their identity because kids are exposed to ideas and information from all over the country and the world. Ideas and customs are no longer segregated to certain locations to create "local cultures" in the same way they used to.

I think the big misconception is that this is necessarily a bad thing. I think people having less reasons to divide and segregate themselves is a good thing.
Good post. It also explains the change of music. However, it comes with a cost because this is why NY is not NY but trying to be like the south. Kids are emulating main artists and the music is sounding the same.

It will become so big that the sub-cultures will start to fill in again to create their own safe places. People like to be around their own. Look at how colleges are starting to divide black students to live with blacks.

Not to toot my horn but mostly everything relates and trends follow patterns. People will soon tire of "all for one". There will be more segregation to come in order for people to better relate to each other.

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/28906/
Cal State LA offers segregated housing for black students

Old 09-09-2016, 05:07 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,976,295 times
This thread is feeding the DC inferiority complex. DC has always been quite a city of its own. Saying that it is "becoming" only undermines it efforts and will further demonstrate the "reaching" complex.

Never tell a major city such as DC that it is becoming. It's quite an insult.

Old 09-10-2016, 04:26 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,009,820 times
DC is complete, has been complete for many years, and will remain complete. If one must live in one geographic location, the weather is just about ideal. Further south and the summers become unbearable and further north one gets very harsh winters. DC has four distinct seasons with fall and spring predominating. It's a bit of unwarranted hubris to "congratulate" DC on become more complete. DC does not compete, it is.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:26 AM

68 posts, read 105,665 times
It was indeed moving that way...

....and then they decided to shut down weekend late night Metro service.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:46 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,526,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
This thread is feeding the DC inferiority complex. DC has always been quite a city of its own. Saying that it is "becoming" only undermines it efforts and will further demonstrate the "reaching" complex.

Never tell a major city such as DC that it is becoming. It's quite an insult.
Not really.

Every city is "becoming" and every person is "becoming". Just like people.. cities are complex, dynamic and constantly changing. Cities are not like rocks or bones that just "are". Cities are alive and to be alive means to be in constant change.

Therefore, its not an insult to say DC is "becoming". LA, Miami, NYC, Detroit, Philly, London, Paris, etc. are all "becoming" too. Some on changing more dramatically than others, but they are all changing in some way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC