Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 07:19 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times

Advertisements

^^^ if this was only a temporary thing then you could say it was the Feds who caused it, but the GM wants the cuts to be permanent. I agree, though, that you can't really blame the union for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Does ridership justify longer hours? That has to go into any equation.

I don't think that is the right question. When someone proposes widening a highway opponents use the "if you build it, they will come" argument against doing it. With Metro, the argument also applies. If Metro fixes its issues and becomes reliable again, riders will use it, even at night. I have no doubt that enough riders will show up to justify it. The current ridership is down because the service is so unreliable so current numbers are useless to decide this issue.

I guess my position is clear. I disagree with the plan to cut service permanently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 08:50 AM

209 posts, read 235,055 times
Metro needs a dedicated source of funding to alleviate a lot of the issues, yet the Federal Government will not budge. It's a total shame that we are dealing with these issues, rather we should've been focusing on expanding metro within the city and maybe working towards a 24hour system.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:42 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4ever View Post
Metro needs a dedicated source of funding to alleviate a lot of the issues, yet the Federal Government will not budge. It's a total shame that we are dealing with these issues, rather we should've been focusing on expanding metro within the city and maybe working towards a 24hour system.

This in oft repeated theme and obviously relevant.

What I would like to know is why was Metro ever set up in the first place without a dedicated source of funding?

Old 10-21-2016, 12:58 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Not really a "position" but ok.
ok well it would keep a lot of people, who don't want to take buses or cabs, at home on late weekend nights.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:25 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times
Quote:
Why are you guys blaming the "union"? The "union" isn't who decided to postpone or even ignore maintenance, some of which is mandated by Federal railroad regulations. Track maintenance isn't rocket science, you just have to do it.

It isn't the "union" which ignores training requirements or contractually permitted discipline for things like overrunning switches.

As it is, Metro is lucky it hasn't been taken over by the FRA.
It is the "union" that is fighting to bring back a Metro employee who was fired for creating false reports that lead to safety issues. So what is your position on that?

Old 10-21-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
This in oft repeated theme and obviously relevant.

What I would like to know is why was Metro ever set up in the first place without a dedicated source of funding?
The story of how Metro was build is just as chaotic as how Metro is run. There were many times when building Metro was delayed and almost cancelled completely. Its really a miracle that the system was ever built much less completed.

Now that public transit is "hip" again.. Metro will likely have a bright future once the pain of cleaning out all the bad eggs and built-in management problems are fixed. I big part of the problem really is the fact that it is run by three territories (DC, MD, VA). Try getting three people to agree on toppings for a pizza and you see the problem.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:28 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
It is the "union" that is fighting to bring back a Metro employee who was fired for creating false reports that lead to safety issues. So what is your position on that?
Is that a fireable offense? If so, were the termination procedures followed? If not, then that's a management issue and the guy absolutely has appeal rights.

If it's not a fireable offense he also has the right of appeal (I don't know about now but falsification of rail situation reports was a firing offense when I worked for a railroad. So was the second time you ran through a red signal or a switch).

I have a little voice that's telling me that the employee was encouraged by management to be "creative" in his reports. That would fit the pattern of ignoring maintenance and safety issues that apparently goes back decades.

As I said, rail maintenance isn't rocket science, it just had to be done.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Is that a fireable offense? If so, were the termination procedures followed? If not, then that's a management issue and the guy absolutely has appeal rights.

If it's not a fireable offense he also has the right of appeal (I don't know about now but falsification of rail situation reports was a firing offense when I worked for a railroad. So was the second time you ran through a red signal or a switch).

I have a little voice that's telling me that the employee was encouraged by management to be "creative" in his reports. That would fit the pattern of ignoring maintenance and safety issues that apparently goes back decades.

As I said, rail maintenance isn't rocket science, it just had to be done.
If you think writing FALSE reports on any job is not a "fireable offense" then you are living on another planet.

If your employer cannot trust you then you are useless. Why should you have a job you cannot be trusted to do properly? Especially if it puts lives in danger.

You must be joking.

WMATA is actually suing the union right now. I cannot support any union that wants to protect incompetent and negligent employees. That is not what unions are for. This union needs to go down in flames IMO.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:08 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
If you think writing FALSE reports on any job is not a "fireable offense" then you are living on another planet.

If your employer cannot trust you then you are useless. Why should you have a job you cannot be trusted to do properly? Especially if it puts lives in danger.

You must be joking.

WMATA is actually suing the union right now. I cannot support any union that wants to protect incompetent and negligent employees. That is not what unions are for. This union needs to go down in flames IMO.
I didn't tell you what I thought, I asked a question.

You may not like unions, it doesn't matter, but contracts are in place for both sides. If management doesn't follow the rules set up then that's their problem.

You totally ignored the management involvement possibility, which I would bet on.

Yeah, someone who falsifies reports should be fired. In PGPCS they get promoted.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I didn't tell you what I thought, I asked a question.

You may not like unions, it doesn't matter, but contracts are in place for both sides. If management doesn't follow the rules set up then that's their problem.

You totally ignored the management involvement possibility, which I would bet on.

Yeah, someone who falsifies reports should be fired. In PGPCS they get promoted.
YES it is a fireable offense.

The problem is WMATA needs the union's permission to fire someone regardless of whether the offense is fireable. It is a fireable offense but WMATA did not ask for approval from the union before firing the person. Therefore.. the union wants to give this deadbeat his/her job back. That is why WMATA is suing the union.

I don't know anything about management involvement nore do I know why you would jump to that conclusion without knowing anything yourself.

My question is why you are so quick to rush to the union's defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: