Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 04:41 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,629,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDT93 View Post
Push for more development and funding in low income/crime ridden areas (East of the River). Hopefully he speaks about the crime here, and come up with ways to reduce it.
Are you serious? This whole city is pretty much going through gentrification. Right now Anacostia is going through it and you better believe the neighboring areas will go through the same process. I live in Ivy City which is going through it now, albeit at a slower rate than some other areas. Trinidad and Brookland have also been going through it. I think DC should be a world class city and its definitely going through that process. DC will be completely different 10 years from now. Neighborhoods that are considered unsafe will have Whole Foods and Starbucks in them and be charging over $2,000/month in rent on average for a 1 bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 02:33 PM

857 posts, read 1,201,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Most Government jobs are not even in DC.
Almost all the fed agencies are headquartered here...if not here its within 30 miles of the city. And most private companies in the area are contractors

Old 01-21-2017, 02:37 PM

857 posts, read 1,201,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDT93 View Post
Push for more development and funding in low income/crime ridden areas (East of the River). Hopefully he speaks about the crime here, and come up with ways to reduce it.
At the absolute most o can see Trump doing is building a hotel or some other real estate in his name....and that's being extreme

Most likely Trump won't do jack about squat over there. Reagan bush I Clinton Bush II did nothing over there. At most Obama visited some elementary schools and donated his kids swing set to a woman's shelter on Naylor road. Trump administration won't do more for DC besides giving them.permission to do their day to day business (bc congress controls DC in case yall forgot!)

Old 01-21-2017, 04:30 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
Almost all the fed agencies are headquartered here...if not here its within 30 miles of the city. And most private companies in the area are contractors
True. But the majority of Government workers nationwide do not work in DC. Every state has Government workers. You go to Hawaii and there will be people there who work for the Government.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:21 PM

118 posts, read 113,690 times
I just saw a reference the other day that the WMA workforce is 12% federal employees. However, it's true that if you include federal contractors that would go way up. But that said, the comment about the military industrial complex in DC is huge and it grows under Republicans. Honestly, the most DC has struggled since the '90s was under Obama and sequester which stagnated defense spending and it caused fair number of projects to stall. I lived that in Navy Yard in the 2013 and 2014 era but those have picked back up. Same thing in the office market in Arlington with Class A office space that is at pretty high vacancy rates the last few years. A fair number of federal offices/contractor offices have moved out to Tyson's and further out. So I think DC will be fairly unchanged (which is good) or better because of defense spending.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:22 PM

118 posts, read 113,690 times
But I'll second the comments about only time will tell.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:41 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancritic View Post
I just saw a reference the other day that the WMA workforce is 12% federal employees. However, it's true that if you include federal contractors that would go way up. But that said, the comment about the military industrial complex in DC is huge and it grows under Republicans. Honestly, the most DC has struggled since the '90s was under Obama and sequester which stagnated defense spending and it caused fair number of projects to stall. I lived that in Navy Yard in the 2013 and 2014 era but those have picked back up. Same thing in the office market in Arlington with Class A office space that is at pretty high vacancy rates the last few years. A fair number of federal offices/contractor offices have moved out to Tyson's and further out. So I think DC will be fairly unchanged (which is good) or better because of defense spending.
What? DC struggled under Obama?

DC has been great under Obama. It went through its "Renaissance" under Obama. DC went from murder capital to world class city under Obama.

What you talkin' bout Willis?

Old 01-21-2017, 10:31 PM

741 posts, read 1,113,688 times
I found this interesting.

US Metro Areas with Highest Share of Federal Employees - 2013

1. Colorado Springs, Colorado - 16.4%
2. Virginia Beach, Virginia - 16.1%
3. Honolulu, Hawaii - 15.4%
4. Washington, DC - 14.1%
5. Ogden-Clearfield, Utah - 11.1%
6. El Paso, Texas - 11%
7. San Diego, California - 10%

America's Federal Employment Belt - CityLab

Old 01-21-2017, 10:33 PM

741 posts, read 1,113,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
What? DC struggled under Obama?

DC has been great under Obama. It went through its "Renaissance" under Obama. DC went from murder capital to world class city under Obama.

What you talkin' bout Willis?
I agree. It wasn't until 2009 that DC's population growth really started surging.

Last edited by revitalizer; 01-21-2017 at 10:55 PM..

Old 01-21-2017, 11:14 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,739 times
Not much. As much as he is proposing cutting, he is increasing elsewhere. So there may be cuts in one department, but defense or homeland security will see increases. People do not realize how flexible the local workforce is, people jump from non-defense, to defense pretty easily. What changes is basically how the budget is prioritized. Also a large chunk is private, and does not contract with the feds, contrary to what some people are saying.
On top of that the nonprofit industry is actually bound to grow, largely because many large orgs in DC to fight Trump will grow during this period. HRC, ACLU, World Wildlife Fund, etc. It is far easier to fund-raise and justify your existence with an identifiable enemy.

I have to agree, I have a hard time seeing things being hurt economically, just shifting. The contractors especially will make out like bandits, since defense contracts tend to pay the best. Many feds who are let go just end up going to NGOs, Nonprofits, or contractors. It ends up being musical chairs, with lots of extra chairs.

There is also far more private industry here now, than there was before Obama came in.

So I am not sure how much will change in DC itself. GOP presidents mean more defense spending, Democratic ones mean more spending on social programs. At the end of the day the local economy is pretty much the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC