Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2018, 03:20 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times

Advertisements

I visited this summer and loved the city. I have a short break the first week of November and was thinking about coming back if the fall colors will still be there. I want to bring my DSLR this time. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 03:41 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,696 times
Fall foliage color depends on all kinds of factors such as moisture, temperature and especially storm conditions that can rip off the leaves. Usually the DC area peak is in October but it can vary. Colors should be nice this year due to all the moisture we have had locally.

Your best bet is to monitor the foliage reports: https://www.foliagenetwork.com/index...n-southeast-us

Old 09-25-2018, 09:26 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,539,428 times
The color has been best around Halloween for the past few years, but it really does depend on the weather over the next few weeks. During the first weekend of November, it is likely to be either be holding on here or perhaps migrated a bit east towards the coast.

As mentioned above, the biggest risk is that storms roll through and wipe the leaves away early.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:46 AM

290 posts, read 633,854 times
Given the historically wet year we've had I'm not optimistic that it won't be raining through much of the peak color. There might be a brief window in late October (a couple days) where the colors are pretty good before the rain and wind, which is common at this time of year even in normal conditions, knocks most of it off and away. Also, unlike New England this region is not just a few species of trees that mostly all turn at the same time. We get a lot of more southern based trees as well as northern trees (part of the reason allergies are so bad for so many people around here) and they all have different timetables. The result is that the effect of our foliage is more muted with no one distinct peak. From early October through early November you'll see trees with leaves already turned mixed with turning leaves mixed with leaves that are still green until very late into the season. It gives us a longer season with fall leaves on at least some of the trees until Thanksgiving but not one spectacular show of color at one specific time.

Last edited by mikeyo321; 09-26-2018 at 08:03 AM..

Old 09-26-2018, 11:26 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Thank you very much everyone! I really appreciate the answers, it helps a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC