Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 06:27 PM

3 posts, read 8,431 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Long time lurker, occasional poster. After finishing grad school I have landed a job in downtown DC in the McPherson Square area. Work is close to the orange/blue line which I know opens up a multitude of areas to search for housing.

The household will be one gay man (me) 7 days a week and one other gay man mostly on weekends. The other does not work in the area (yet) so his commute isn't an immediate concern. No kids or pets. We'd be looking for a 1BR and one parking space for a car (but if not included would have to be added to the rent - on street would be ok if absolutely had to). $1100 to $1300 a month would be the sweet spot, but we're realistic that DC is a pricey town and that won't get us a hell of a lot for now. Given both of us are helping with rent we'd like to avoid the roommate thing. So main priorities are

• Walking distance to an orange/blue line metro stop or walking distance to another transferable line (or whatever it takes to get on a bus)
  • Parking spot for a car
  • Walkable to semi-walkable neighborhood (a liquor store, Thai takeout, a coffee shop would be nice, maybe a neighborhood bar or two)
  • A washer and dryer in the unit or building
  • Safety, although a little Gritty Urban Realism is not going to be a deal breaker
  • Younger folks. We're gay, vaguely hip, and without kids, so being surrounded by families would be fine but something with other 20-somethings in the area would be nice. Of course, we could always take transit to somewhere cooler in the evenings.
I have friends in Rossyln, VA (too expensive? but Arlington could work?) friends in Glover park (may be possible - basement apartment?) and Columbia Heights (looks good, but areas are pretty far from Metro stops?).

I'm really pretty open to VA, DC, or MD at this point, and the good news is I'm staying with family so while I'd like to get out sooner rather than later, I'm not in urgent need of finding anything asap.

So, neighborhood recommendations? Any areas to absolutely avoid beside the obvious places with serious crime problems? Anywhere up and coming that I wouldn't immediately know about given I'm not a local? Thanks for any help if there are any wants/needs/variables I have not yet posted yet, please feel free to let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 06:58 PM

146 posts, read 374,751 times
Check out logan circle/u street area

Old 06-07-2011, 08:03 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
$1300 will get you an unrenovated English basement in Logan/U Street (and likely no parking space). Those neighborhoods would be in close proximity to your job and offer a number of transit options, but they're also among the pricier in the city.

Columbia Heights could be a good fit for you--and there is a Metro stop there (the Green and Yellow lines run through it). Lots of restaurants, bars, shops and the like up there. And it's more affordable than Logan/U Street.

You may also want to look around Hill East (which some realtors try to pass off as "eastern Capitol Hill") around the Potomac Ave. Metro. It's definitely one of those "transitioning" areas, but it's also a changing area (for the better) and your $$$ will go farther there. Also, Potomac Ave. is on the Orange/Blue lines, so that would be convenient.

Also, give a look-see to Arlington. Although it's not a part of DC proper, Arlington's an urbanized area with a lot of young people, and the Orange and Blue lines run right through it. Arlington isn't cheap, but you can find some deals on one BRs there.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:25 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
I second everything 14thandYou said. Except well...I'm sorry but as much as I like to toot my city's horn can't say that I'd recommend Arlington for this person/couple. You're just not going to find that many if any one bedrooms in Arlington along the orange line for $1300. If you're willing to live along say Columbia Pike and take the bus to the Pentagon metro then yes it might work out for you.

Columbia Heights is a good bet as far as cheaper housing. I know folks paying gobs of money for a super renovated rowhouse along with folks living cheaply in apartments that while I don't care for are cheap by DC standards. I swear the Woodner is the gayest apartment building in DC. Its not the nicest in my opinion though but they have studios in the $900 range though you can't beat the price.

I absolutely love Capitol Hill. So would certainly recommend it. The area around the Potomac Avenue metro is a little sketchier than the Eastern Market metro but it will have the best range of homes in that price range.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:58 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I second everything 14thandYou said. Except well...I'm sorry but as much as I like to toot my city's horn can't say that I'd recommend Arlington for this person/couple. You're just not going to find that many if any one bedrooms in Arlington along the orange line for $1300. If you're willing to live along say Columbia Pike and take the bus to the Pentagon metro then yes it might work out for you.
Guess I was thinking of the Shirlington, Fairlington or East FC areas. Certainly anything in the Rosslyn - Ballston corridor is going to be much more than that.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:30 PM

246 posts, read 589,022 times
If you want to be surrounded by other young, gay, hip people, I would concentrate on DC (basement in Logan, U Street, Columbia Heights, or even Shaw) or Takoma Park/Silver Spring (although those are more family-oriented). When I have occassionally mentioned the possibility of moving to Virginia, my gay friends have balked because of the lack of gay-friendly policies in the state. Since then, I have noticed that I really don't see that many young gay people in Arlington or Alexandria. Most of my single gay friends live in the city, and most of my gay friends with children live in Takoma or Silver Spring.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:09 PM

566 posts, read 1,556,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lackadaisi View Post
If you want to be surrounded by other young, gay, hip people, I would concentrate on DC (basement in Logan, U Street, Columbia Heights, or even Shaw) or Takoma Park/Silver Spring (although those are more family-oriented). When I have occassionally mentioned the possibility of moving to Virginia, my gay friends have balked because of the lack of gay-friendly policies in the state. Since then, I have noticed that I really don't see that many young gay people in Arlington or Alexandria. Most of my single gay friends live in the city, and most of my gay friends with children live in Takoma or Silver Spring.
You will likely find that attitudes toward gay people in Arlington and Alexandria differ little from DC and Montgomery County, MD. Norther Virginia is a pretty progressive area when compared to the rest of the state. I know several gay and lesbian folks who live in Arlington and Alexandria and love it.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 8,431 times
Thanks everybody. I started work last Monday, and that is going well. I still have not found an apartment yet so my commute is around 70 minutes from where I am staying with family. I'd like to end that soon but I'm not desperate. We've reconsidered the budget and it's now more like $1300 to $1500 depending on what we can find. I've checked out places in the Shaw/Logan Circle area, Columbia Heights, Adams Morgan/Mt. Laurel, and Cap Hill. I'd still be open to those areas but the problem is even when a place clearly fits our needs and budget there are seemingly 20 other people applying for the same place. I went to an open house yesterday in Columbia Heights and there were 40 names on the list by the time we left and there were still people coming in. At any rate I'm not sure if I should keep bothering with open houses because it seems like such a crap shoot. I'm very encouraged that now I very much know what I'm looking for, and I'm indeed finding it. It's just so competitive to get in!

Old 06-20-2011, 08:36 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmattmatt View Post
Thanks everybody. I started work last Monday, and that is going well. I still have not found an apartment yet so my commute is around 70 minutes from where I am staying with family. I'd like to end that soon but I'm not desperate. We've reconsidered the budget and it's now more like $1300 to $1500 depending on what we can find. I've checked out places in the Shaw/Logan Circle area, Columbia Heights, Adams Morgan/Mt. Laurel, and Cap Hill. I'd still be open to those areas but the problem is even when a place clearly fits our needs and budget there are seemingly 20 other people applying for the same place. I went to an open house yesterday in Columbia Heights and there were 40 names on the list by the time we left and there were still people coming in. At any rate I'm not sure if I should keep bothering with open houses because it seems like such a crap shoot. I'm very encouraged that now I very much know what I'm looking for, and I'm indeed finding it. It's just so competitive to get in!
I've been to Open Houses and they're zoos. It was for roommates at that. It was basically a popularity contest and an annoying one at that. You won't find me doing another open house in a close-in neighborhood again. Good luck and welcome to the area.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 AM

246 posts, read 589,022 times
Welcome to DC! There are a lot of wonderful things about the city, but it is sometimes hard to break into as there is a lot of competition for desirable and affordable accomodations. Don't give up. It is a pain the first time, but it will never be as hard again. Once you know people here and form your own community, you will learn the tricks and get the contacts necessary to avoid this type of thing. It is hard at first though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC