Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2008, 09:59 PM

5 posts, read 10,048 times

Advertisements

I am 22 years old. Recent graduate with a BA in philosophy. have a lot of experience that will lend to being a good worker, but nothing specific since all jobs have been college type jobs (interned in law office, interned as co-campaign manager for probate judge campaign, marketing research...). i have been on craigslist and careerbuilder, but have found no one biting. what to do?

i will be living in arlington, va with a family friend rent free for 6 months, which will help me out, but that wont do. I will be moving there with about 4,000$.

how can i find good jobs that will get me into the marketing research industry, even without the specific experience? how do i get any job that will help me get on my way so when i move on my own i won't be drowning.

Where can i meet new people my age, but not spend a lot of money?

best sushi?

i need help on all fronts possible: job, life, living, entertainment, beauty care. HELP PLEASE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 07:48 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,716,145 times
For all the hype about DC's recession-proof job market, it's still a real pain in the rump to get a job there because so many people with degrees from top universities and incredible resumes. 6 months isn't unheard of.

It took me about 6 months to land my first "real" job out of college. I, too, had about that much money saved up and a very cheap (not quite free) place to live.

I, personally, interned at relevant places and worked as a waiter to stem the outflow of money. The internships proved beneficial to the job I eventually got, even though there was no direct connection.

Probably the best thing you can do is target a few businesses and research them. Figure out what you can do for them - what you could bring to their operations to make you worth an investment.

Then set up a meeting with someone to learn more about their company and explain your situation. You might get good referrals, an unpaid internship, or perhaps an invitation to apply for a job that might or might not get posted publicly.

Perhaps one thing working against you is that you don't have a cohesive narrative to your background, but you do have some experience outside the classroom that you can use as referrals.

As for meeting people - there's a lot of free events through the Smithsonian and a lot of cheap bars that cater to broke young people in DC itself (U Street / 14th Street, Adams Morgan, Mt. Pleasant)

Good luck.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:33 AM

209 posts, read 985,210 times
I think the best sushi in Arlington is Matuba, at Walter Reed and Columbia Pike. Endo Sushi in Clarendon is also okay. Matsutake sucks.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:59 PM

741 posts, read 2,781,994 times
on the sushi question, there are ok budget places, and there are some good places that cost a lot more.

a good bargain I hear is Kotobuki, but I can't vouch for it, I haven't been there.

PS - if you are interested in sushi, but looking for work I suggest you get a job and save the sushi for only special occasions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC