Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 09:09 AM

11 posts, read 32,820 times

Advertisements

Hi my husband and I may be moving to the DC area in May. He would be working in Chevy Chase. Neither of us are very familiar with the area. My husband would be taking the subway to work. I've been looking online for apartments in Rockville and Fairfax. We'd like to stay under $1400 a month for rent. We are trying to figure out which city would be better for us. We dont have kids yet so the school system would not be a concern. Any comments on the cities would be very helpful. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 09:38 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,776,915 times
If he's working in CC, I don't see why you would want to live in VA. Longer commute, worse traffic. I would recommend sticking to MD.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:34 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Rockville has 4 stations while Fairfax has 1. More choices available to you.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:44 PM

367 posts, read 1,286,042 times
Chevy Chase is right on the Maryland border, so look in Maryland. There is no reason to look into Virginia.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:15 PM

10 posts, read 43,049 times
MD is definitely a better choice. Silver Spring, Wheaton, and Bethesda are all good areas in a decent proximity to Chevy Chase.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:19 PM

564 posts, read 1,494,339 times
I agree, stick w/ MD. I personally wouldn't even bother to take the Metro to CC from Rockville unless I lived within a 5 min walk of the metro station. I'd just drive it but that's up to you. Rockville is a very nice choice, just keep in mind if you want a nicer, newer apt you're looking at mainly 1-bedrooms in that price range. I don't know what the ones right near the metro cost, but I'd imagine most are a bit above the stated price range.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:23 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,738,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egup82 View Post
Hi my husband and I may be moving to the DC area in May. He would be working in Chevy Chase. Neither of us are very familiar with the area. My husband would be taking the subway to work. I've been looking online for apartments in Rockville and Fairfax. We'd like to stay under $1400 a month for rent. We are trying to figure out which city would be better for us. We dont have kids yet so the school system would not be a concern. Any comments on the cities would be very helpful. Thanks
Rockville would be a better commute (just down the red line). From Fairfax, he would have to switch to the red line from Orange. Lifestyle-wise the commute would be a pain. If he had to drive, there is only one way in. From MD, there are multiple avenues to take.

Shopping is equivalent (Montgomery mall, White Flint in MD versus the malls in No VA). High end shopping is in Chevy Chase.

Restaurants are more concentrated in Rockville/Bethesda.

Rent is about the same. You may only get a studio for that budget.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:21 PM

931 posts, read 3,804,298 times
Rockville, MD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC