Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:20 AM

15 posts, read 40,221 times

Advertisements

I've also posted this in the Maryland board, but I thought I might get more response from here.

My wife and I are moving to the DC area. She is legally blind and cannot drive, but sees well enough to read slowly and get around on foot, bike, and public transit. I'm not concerned about my own commute since I can drive, but she will need to be able to live a productive and empowered life without a car. Being on the DC metro is a must, and she has been offered a job at Catholic University on the Red Line. DC seems horribly overpriced, so we've been looking at the suburbs. Downtown Silver Springs near the metro seems like a decent option for us.

- Without a car can you do grocery shopping, get coffee, go out for dinner, buy a book, shop for clothes, and see a movie?

- Is it a safe area? Safe to walk around after dark?

- Anything else you can tell me, buildings you can recommend, or other areas to consider? We're not moving until August and will be renting (our current home will be rented out since its value is in the crapper right now).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 11:56 AM

658 posts, read 1,893,588 times
I think it will depend on where you end up living to ease of grocery shopping, safety.. etc. Still, I thoroughly enjoy living in Silver Spring. Having the metro right there is nice, and access to the beltway is good. The downtown has all of the amenities of a city, so coffee, bookstore, dinner and theatre(s) are all there.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:43 PM

230 posts, read 859,567 times
If you move downtown she shouldn't have too many problems. The downtown area is really walkable with easy access to dining and entertainment, and there are buses to take you places Metro doesn't. Another perk is that some downtown crosswalks have beeping alert signs to guide visually impaired pedestrians.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:21 PM

Is the area pretty safe?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:08 PM

21 posts, read 99,099 times
Yes, it is very safe. Aside from packs of teenagers on skateboards on Friday/Saturday nights on Ellsworth St., I have never encountered any trouble.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:00 PM

I agree that it's pretty safe. I've never felt unsafe, even at night. However, as with any urban area, you need to keep your wits about you.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrot2000 View Post
I agree that it's pretty safe. I've never felt unsafe, even at night. However, as with any urban area, you need to keep your wits about you.
Of course. She lived in Paris by herself for a year during college, so I'm not too concerned as long as there's no issue with muggings and such.

Sounds like Silver Springs is a good place for us to look into. It's certainly more affordable than DC, and would be more convenient than NOVA for where we will work.

Can anybody recommend any specific buildings? We'd like to stay around 1800 is possible. We don't really need 2 full bedrooms, a 1BR w/ Den would be fine. We could probably manage good sized 1 BR if we needed to. Walking/biking distance to the metro is a huge perk.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:25 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,424 times
I'd definitely recommend living west (DC side) of Georgia Avenue near the Metro station. Georgia Avenue (MD 97/US 29) is a wide roadway with a lot of traffic, and could be problematic for a legally blind person to cross. Generally speaking, I think the areas west of Georgia Avenue also tend to be a quieter too. Though most of the restaurants and other attractions are east of or on the east side of Georgia Avenue, there is a Giant grocery store, a couple of drugstores (CVS, Rite Aid), and a few restaurants on the west side of Georgia Avenue.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:23 PM

Check out:

The Veridian
Falkland Chase
The Blairs

Old 03-16-2009, 09:44 AM

The strip on East West Highway looks pretty promising. From Google Street View, it looks like several nice buildings there are just blocks from the Metro and there's a decent sized shopping center just north with the Giant and such you mentioned.

Any opinions on the Bennington? They've got a decent move-in special on a 2 bedroom right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC