Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 06:47 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,884 times

Advertisements

It's 8:45 and we're bored in our hotel near Dupont Circle. We're not into the bar scene and have heard the monuments are beautiful at night. But I also saw two people warning not to walk near there at night. People post the same thing about downtown Raleigh at night when visitors ask on our forum and that's a big overreaction for us. Is it for you guys? I don't want to be cooped up until daylight unless there's a real reason. Thanks for your opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 09:13 PM

4 posts, read 14,172 times
You've probably already left (or not) by now, but here's my answer:
I see people walking (and jogging) around the mall at night all the time. I personally wouldn't do it. A couple of years ago there were a group of teens attacking people - even couples - walking the mall at night. One young woman was even raped. Fortunately, the kids were caught. I'm sure the chance of something bad happening at night there is small, but I personally wouldn't risk it. The area is not very well lit.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:23 AM

228 posts, read 920,394 times
I disagree with Smores. The fact that a handful of people have been attacked on the mall at night over the last three years is all you need to know. It's about as safe as walking from your hotel to dinner in Dupont.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:44 AM

246 posts, read 589,130 times
I love the monuments at night and have no problem walking there at all.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:49 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,088,018 times
The Mall is more or less fine at night. There was one big series of robberies awhile ago (like 5 years ago) that made all these scare headlines but not much since then. No one here can guarantee your safety on the Mall at night but I wouldn't hesitate if my niece were out walking the monuments after dark.

The walk to and from Dupont will be a walk in the city, but there will be people out and whatnot. I wouldn't be overly concerned (but as always, pay attention to your surroundings, etc). You chance of being hit up for some money from a homeless person is pretty high, your chance of being mugged is rather low.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:52 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Default completely safe

If you are comfortable in cities in general, then walking between Dupont and the Mall will be fine. In terms of violent crimes, these are two of the safest areas in DC. However, it's not the suburbs, so the overall rate of crime is a little higher. As a woman walking alone, I have no reservations about strolling in either area well into the wee hours.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:01 PM

5 posts, read 12,395 times
My husband and I used to walk the Capitol Hill, Mall, and Dupont Circle areas all the time at night. We felt completely safe.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:16 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
No problem at all. I, too, have heard people warning visitors to "stay away from the Mall after dark", and can't for the life of me understand why. It's one of the safest areas in DC.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:10 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,884 times
Thanks to everyone. I actually did leave already. We did walk around the mall area starting around 10 and coming back around 1 AM. It was quite nice, especially at the WWII monument. There were a good number of people around- no one that made me feel shady. Just people walking around, looking at monuments, drawing, taking photos, etc. I'm glad I went. Didn't feel unsafe at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC