Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 08:02 AM

83 posts, read 484,233 times

Advertisements

OK, I admit I can't ride a bike at my age!! So now I have that out in the open, does anyone know of a place that actually teach adults how to bike? My parents are out of state (and too old to hold the bike), and it's too much pressure if I learn from someone I know.

I heard some bike shops would teach. I also wonder if there are something I can get to help the learning process? I sure wish they have adult training wheels.....

Thanks!

Last edited by JL2010; 05-13-2009 at 08:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 08:34 AM

658 posts, read 1,894,629 times
if you look at the meet up groups - meetup.com, they are always having beginner bike lessons. I am not sure what exactly you are looking for..I think their classes require you to already know how to actually ride a bike, but they go over the basics of bike riding. There is also a nice mtn biking website that sets up group rides on some of the trails around here, but I can't remember the address. I'll get it when I am home..

Old 05-13-2009, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the information! Hope to see the address soon

Old 05-13-2009, 08:47 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,719,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL2010 View Post
OK, I admit I can't ride a bike at my age!!
Omg, I'm not alone!!!

I had found something on WikiHow and figured I'd try it. My problem is that I'm really short, so every bike I find is way too big for me (I honestly think I need a kiddie bike or something). By the time I jump up into the seat, the bike's already tipping over, so it never works.
How to Ride a Bicycle - wikiHow

Try reading up and renting a bike (or borrowing one).

Old 05-13-2009, 09:10 AM

Hi juniperbleu!!

I saw that posting! That's funny that we both found that article. I got a free bike. It's slightly taller than I am comfortable with. And yeah, every time it moves I start to tip! I am thinking that I need to rent a shorter bike (although I heard it's harder to bike, but at least it would let me get over my fear). I was tempted to steal my nephew's (he is 4) bike, but his dad stopped me LOL.

I am thinking about making my own training wheels.

Maybe we can get together and rent short bikes and learn??

Old 05-13-2009, 09:37 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,719,511 times
Haha, that wouldn't be a bad idea! I'm always so embarrassed about it (especially since one of my friends is a serious biker, I'm always intimidated)

Old 11-02-2009, 06:19 PM

20 posts, read 59,751 times
Oh, I hope you learn to ride! It gives such a sense of freedom. I am just trying to lose weight, get into shape enough to start back riding. I am in my 50's and rode lots in my 20 and 30's, then again on some railroad trails in my 40's. I just love it but at present am just not up to it but want to ride into my old age. I have a friend in her 60's who competes in races and her husband in his 70's who races, they have quite a network.
I would suggest having a bike shop fit you for a bike, the size and distance from crotch to pedal is important. They might rent one for you to learn on and would surely have suggestions on someone to teach you. Be brave and go for it! You can do this.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:33 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL2010 View Post
Hi juniperbleu!!

I saw that posting! That's funny that we both found that article. I got a free bike. It's slightly taller than I am comfortable with. And yeah, every time it moves I start to tip! I am thinking that I need to rent a shorter bike (although I heard it's harder to bike, but at least it would let me get over my fear). I was tempted to steal my nephew's (he is 4) bike, but his dad stopped me LOL.

I am thinking about making my own training wheels.

Maybe we can get together and rent short bikes and learn??
It's important to have a bike that's your size, for safety, comfort, and confidence.

You may wish to browse on Washington Area Bicyclist Association [WABA] to see if they have advice or classes on learning to ride. I just looked there under Events - Bike Education, and found Bicycling 101 class, as well as Confident City Cycling:

CCC1 covers basic bicycling information and on-bike skills such as: bicycle selection, fit, inspection, gearing, cadence, clothing, accessories, and bike handling basics like starting and stopping, riding straight, scanning and signaling. Half of this class will be in the classroom and half will be on-bike practicing bike handling skills. You are invited to bring your bicycle to participate or if you do not bring a bike, you can watch others demonstrate bike handling skills.

If learning on your own and if you are in DC and have a bike carrier (or other way to transport bike), you could try down at East Potomac Park to be away from traffic. That's where I used to go to learn rollerblading.

It's pretty easy to learn by coasting first in an area where you're not worried about running into something. Start with one foot on a pedal, one on the ground, and push off with the foot on the ground. Initially, you could just stand on the pedals and not even try sitting on the saddle. Just get accustomed to the feel of coasting at a speed sufficient to avoid tipping over.

Good luck, biking is great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: