Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 07:52 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times

Advertisements

Ever heard of Google? I have done some research for my upcoming trip to D.C., but all everything lists is stuff I already know you should see. Smithsonian, the Mall, momuments, musuems, and such. So I don't need any suggestions on those things.

I will be arriving in Wash. D.C. Sun-Tue (October 11th-13th). This will be my first time there. I understand there will be some Metro closures, but nothing too big. Will this be any inconvience to a visitor like me? I don't mind walking where a station is not in service. Don't really like the Bus, but I'll take it if that's the only way to get somewhere. I won't be renting a car.

What I'd really like to know about is what neighborhoods in D.C. I should stop by. Yes, I love architecture, but I'm going to be potentially moving to the area.

I'd like to know what safe neighborhoods I can just walk through casually, grab something to eat, etc. I love momuments/buildings as much as I love looking at homes. Also, please suggest great local food. Any pizza/deli/bakery that are local to D.C. is great. I always like eating at the locally-owned places wherever I go.

Go ahead and suggest something if you feel it's something I might like, based on what I've said here.

And,... where should I not go? I know that the area is safe for the most part, but there are some bad areas. Especially if I'm wanting to go on some neighborhood tours of my own. What about at night? I'm staying at the Renaissance-Washington hotel by the convention center. It'd be great to know where I can walk around freely during the day, and especially at night. Keeping street smarts, of course.

I will likely be back in D.C. in Dec/Jan, but anything you can suggest for this first trip would be nice. Granted, I'll try to do some research on my own, but haven't been able to find any straight-forward answers to my questins yet. As you can see, I am really interested in seeing D.C. through the eyes of a local.

Thanks! I hope I've provided enough information about myself here, and my interested. If not, be kind enough to let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 09:23 PM

593 posts, read 2,440,205 times
Taste of Georgetown is this Saturday, and I'd definitely recommend that. It's an event where you can try all sorts of small dishes from restaurants in the neighborhood.

They have the info/schedule/directions for it here: Taste of Georgetown | Georgetown BID

Georgetown is a fun neighborhood to visit anyways, so add food and you'll have a great time.

FYI, there isn't a Metro station in Georgetown, but you can take the Metro to Rosslyn station, and a blue DC Metro Connection bus will take you over the bridge into Georgetown (5-min ride). They have more detailed directions on the site, though: Taste of Georgetown | Georgetown BID

Old 10-05-2009, 09:29 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
If you're looking for the real DC, I'd actually avoid Georgetown. It's basically an outdoor mall for the well healed or the obnoxiously fratted. Though, Blues Alley is good.

Try U Street (nice re-emergent jazz scene - maybe a show at Bohemian Caverns), 14th Street (which is right at U but has more theatre venues / interior design stores).

Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, and Mt. Pleasant are interesting. H Street NE has a burgeoning nightlife scene (H and 12th-ish).

Eastern Market is great to wander on a Saturday (nice neighborhood too)

I've always enjoyed the hidden esoteric design features of the well known monuments or wandering them at night when no one else is there. Always a winning date, even for people who know DC well.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:30 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
FYI, my trip is Sunday-Tuesday. No Saturday. Thanks!

Old 10-06-2009, 07:35 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
For neighborhoods I'd check out U Street, Adams Morgan, Logan Circle, Dupont Circle, and Capitol Hill. Eastern Market (the market, not the neighborhood) is open on Sundays, I believe. That would be fun to just wander around, and then you can go down 8th Street SE to Barracks Row for restaurants.

If you do go to Georgetown and are staying at the Convention Center, you can take the Circulator bus to Georgetown (Georgetown-Union Station line). That would probably be the easiest way. It stops on K Street, but you can look it up online or ask at the hotel

http://www.dccirculator.com/routemap.html

As for the Metro work, the biggest issue is that Archives, L'Enfant, and Waterfront stations will all be closed. The green line is stopping at Navy Yard (I think) and the yellow line is doing an alternate route where it basically just follows the blue line. For going to Capitol Hill it'd probably be easiest to walk to Metro Center and take the blue/orange from there. As for getting to the Mall/monuments, you can either take blue/orange from Metro Center to the Smithsonian stop, or take the Circulator (SW Waterfront-Convention Center route) south on 9th to the Mall. I personally would probably take the Circulator since it's closer, but up to you. Going north/west (Dupont, Adams Morgan, Logan Circle, Georgetown) shouldn't be too bad besides possible crowding on the Metro from all the displaced people.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:56 PM

188 posts, read 670,434 times
Definitely check out Eastern Market. The best day to see it is Sunday since all the artisans and artists are there with their wares out. Also on Sundays there is the drum circle at Meridian Hill Park which is at 16th and Belmont.

While I've lived in this city, my favorite way of exploring is bike riding. It's really easy to see lots and lots of the city and to stop where you want. There's a newly opened Bikestation at Union Station where you can rent bikes. If you end up wanting to do that, message me and I'll give you a sweet route, you can actually go along a lot of the city's awesome corridors in one go pretty easily!

Old 10-08-2009, 03:34 PM

227 posts, read 821,822 times
Vace Delicatessen in Cleveland Park - the BEST PIZZA EVER!!

You might appreciate some of the homes in CP as well. Check out the zoo, then stroll on through CP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC