Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Washington Relax its Building Height Limitations?
Yes. Bring on the density. 51 36.69%
No. Preserve the views of the U.S. Capitol. 88 63.31%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:18 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,402,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Not in the 1970s, when people were vacating the city like mad and the only traffic was into and out of the city.

The mistake has been in not keeping up with population shifts within the DC region. While Metro still does a reasonably good job moving people from population centers into central DC, it is inadequate to serve the nearly-6 million person metropolis that DC has morphed into.

And, for the record, a Georgetown stop on the orange line was considered, and rejected. The reasons for the rejection are a continuing part of DC folklore.
OK, I'm glad you agree that there is at least some problem with Metro. As for the Georgetown stop, I know the residents there didn't want it. Why WMATA didn't exercise eminent domain and just put one there anyway I don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 08:51 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
OK, I'm glad you agree that there is at least some problem with Metro.
When have I said there wasn't? You appear to be confusing me with someone else.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
When have I said there wasn't? You appear to be confusing me with someone else.
Sorry, I might have confused you with bluefly or dcsailor.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:13 PM

187 posts, read 351,214 times
Quote:
I do like the freedom of being able to drive everywhere in Orlando and have ample parking.

I like DC, but I really feel the builders of Metro should have followed the model of the New York system, or London's "Tube". Maybe then it would be possible to live in Foxhall Road, Palisades or Georgetown without a car.
The citizens of Georgetown opposed a Metro stop. Foxhall and Palisades are too small to justify a subway line extension that far over. Both are adequately served by Metro bus.

There are many neighborhoods in DC that can accommodate people who want to live without owning a car. Instead of whining about where Metro doesn't run, move to an area that has Metro service.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSailor View Post
The citizens of Georgetown opposed a Metro stop. Foxhall and Palisades are too small to justify a subway line extension that far over. Both are adequately served by Metro bus.

There are many neighborhoods in DC that can accommodate people who want to live without owning a car. Instead of whining about where Metro doesn't run, move to an area that has Metro service.
Therein lies the problem. If the citizens of Shaw or some other less well to do neighborhood didn't want metro, I doubt anyone would have listened to them. I think WMATA should have invoked eminent domain and just put the stop in Georgetown anyway. It's a quite a shock to visitors to the city that there's no Georgetown metro stop. It would have eliminated a lot of the traffic in Georgetown and the insane zoned parking rules that they have there now.

Last edited by stars99; 02-11-2010 at 02:21 PM..

Old 02-11-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Therein lies the problem. If the citizens of Shaw or some other less well to do neighborhood didn't want metro, I doubt anyone would have listened to them. I think WMATA should have invoked eminent domain and just put the stop in Georgetown anyway. It's a quite a shock to visitors to the city that there's no Georgetown metro stop. It would have eliminated a lot of the traffic in Georgetown and the insane zoned parking rules that they have there now.
I'm very glad that Orlando has decided to order Washington how to manage it's affairs. Too bad Orlando can't do a better job on Orlando. Perhaps you should consider leaving the governance of Washington to the citizens of Washington.

Washington isn't here for visitors. That's Orlando's stick.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSailor View Post
I'm very glad that Orlando has decided to order Washington how to manage it's affairs. Too bad Orlando can't do a better job on Orlando. Perhaps you should consider leaving the governance of Washington to the citizens of Washington.

Washington isn't here for visitors. That's Orlando's stick.
I don't speak for all of Orlando.

I do like strolling around Georgetown, when I'm back there.

However, it's clear that the lack of a metro stop in Georgetown has had a huge negative effect on the area. Sending a fleet of #30 buses that travel at a rate of 1 block per seven minutes through already congested Wisconsin and M Street is not a transportation plan. And to zone parking until 10 PM is insane.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:46 AM

437 posts, read 1,229,400 times
Quote:

However, it's clear that the lack of a metro stop in Georgetown has had a huge negative effect on the area. Sending a fleet of #30 buses that travel at a rate of 1 block per seven minutes through already congested Wisconsin and M Street is not a transportation plan. And to zone parking until 10 PM is insane.
I don't think Georgetown is suffering horribly for lack of Metrorail. Those property values have really taken a hit there, huh?

Seriously, what do you expect to be done about it now? Are you going to pay for a Metro station in G-town? The walk from Foggy Bottom is only about 6 blocks, if you find the bus service so offensive. Or get a bike. Or stay in Orlando where you can park wherever you want because it's not Georgetown.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:51 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
It was more than mere citizen opposition that led to the canelling of the Georgetown Metro station. As I understand it, there is some significant natural/geological impediments that would have made placing a stop there quite difficult. The common story is that the well-heeled Georgetown socialites rose up and defeated Metro, but the reality is that even without citizen opposition a stop there was no sure thing.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:

Like I said:

1. Washington isn't designed for tourists. If you like Georgetown better than downtown Orlando, come. If you don't, stay home. You don't get a voice in our city services.

2. The people of Georgetown decided that there would be too many visitors if they had a Metro stop. It was their choice. The rest of the city was very supportive of Metro, especially places like Shaw, which saw the economic boost Metro would provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: