Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2009, 03:43 PM

4 posts, read 26,952 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Thanks so much to those that have contributed to make this a great resource for DC newcomers.

My wife and I are looking at an apartment a half block away from the southern entrance of the Stadium-Armory station, on C St SE and 19th. We've looked at the crime maps, talked to a neighbor, visited during the day and night--basically trying to go into the situation with our eyes open to the safety situation. I've learned from some posts in the forum here that "east of 14th st" is a bit edgier than the rest of Capitol Hill. Still, the price fits our current economic situation and it is a very short walk to public transport.

Anyone have any commentary on that particular part, the immediate neighborhood around Stadium-Armory? We can see that there's a prison, mental health clinic, STD clinic around the area to the south, but haven't really heard specific instances in which those places caused/attracted trouble for nearby residents.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 07:12 PM

220 posts, read 704,233 times
The general area is pretty safe in my opinion.
Yes, there the DC jail, Drug Rehab center, and a few other places that may make one think that the area is sketchy the National Guard is also right there too, so not too much can happen before action is taken. Besides, most people that utilizes those places usual mind their own business. It used to be bad back in the 90's and before but it has transformed a lot since then. A great neighborhood to live in.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:18 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,216,056 times
Those health clinics and STD clinics all used to be part of DC General Hospital which is now closed. So you shouldn't have to worry about hearing sirens all night long like you do near most hospitals.(sucked when I lived across from Howard U Hospital) We(Fire Department) send people there occasionally for things, but that's about it.

Personally, I don't think it seems like too bad of an area anymore, but I don't know much about it.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:38 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,089,178 times
The only rub I would mention is the metro. When I lived on the Hill, I was on a direct path between some public housing (now closed) and the Metro station. This led to a constant parade of people back and forth, a few of whom were up to no good pretty much any chance they could get.

While I'll have to defer on the current state of that area as I haven't walked around there in about five years or so, I did want to mention that even if you aren't necessarily on the 'bad block' there can be some traffic between the station and that area you should be aware of. Worth looking at a map or getting a feel on the ground for where the foot traffic is around there.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:11 PM

4 posts, read 26,952 times
Thanks DCnative, ffnight & p6.

Hadn't thought about the downside of being close to the metro--the volume of people passing by--although I suppose that has both disadvantages (noise, potential crime) and benefits (more people presence on the street might make it safer).

That's funny that you mention the ambulances and fire trucks ffknight, we just talked to a neighbor who mentioned how disrupting the trucks can be from Station 8 on C st. We didn't realize we would be so close to a station--probably a mark against us getting this place.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:55 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,216,056 times
O yea, I didn't even remember you've got that at C and 15th. It's a fairly busy station, but not nearly as bad as living near a hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC