Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 11:55 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,456,843 times

Advertisements

hi all - my mother in law will be visiting via train from NYC on MLK Day weekend and will be getting in at around 6:00 PM on Saturday. We'd like to grab dinner before we trek back out to our home in NoVA. Is there anywhere around Union Station that would be a good place for a family and somewhat good food? My mother in law is a great cook and rarely goes out because she prefers to cook, so it would have to be someplace good, but also ok with young kids (7 yrs).

Also, if we did this, I'd have to park, is there a parking garage or something in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 07:52 AM

104 posts, read 253,166 times
There are plenty of restaurants inside Union Station itself, but if your MIL is a real foodie not much there will be better than she could make at home.

There are, however, two really nice restaurants within walking distance from Union Station: Johnny's Halfshell, which is a great seafood place that should also be kid-friendly, and Bistro Bis, which is the restaurant inside the Hotel George and may be somewhat less kid-friendly and definitely more expensive.

Links to both are below. Check out Chowhound.com for reviews.

Plentiful parking is available at Union Station.

* Johnny's Half Shell - Seafood Specialties, Strong Drinks *
Vidalia Restaurant in Washington, DC

Old 01-01-2010, 10:23 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDC View Post
There are plenty of restaurants inside Union Station itself, but if your MIL is a real foodie not much there will be better than she could make at home.

There are, however, two really nice restaurants within walking distance from Union Station: Johnny's Halfshell, which is a great seafood place that should also be kid-friendly, and Bistro Bis, which is the restaurant inside the Hotel George and may be somewhat less kid-friendly and definitely more expensive.
While I agree with the above poster that Johnny's & Bistro Bis are two very good choices, I disagree with the assertion that there is nothing worthwhile in Union Station itself. B. Smith's has very good food and I think that your MIL would enjoy it very much. Also, being located within Union Station makes it much more convenient than traipsing across N. Capitol St to either of the other two restaurants (especially in possibly inclement January weather). Here is a link to some reviews of the restaurant posted on Open Table:

B. Smith's Reviews - Rated by OpenTable Diners

Old 01-01-2010, 04:48 PM

188 posts, read 670,468 times
The Union Station parking garage can be accessed off of the Hopscotch Bridge (H st NE between 3rd st NE and North Capitol Street). As far as nice sit down restaurants... there are a few down H closer to 12th and H NE like Sticky Rice, Granville Moore's and the Argonaut (all excellent choices btw) but next to Union there isn't a ton. There are a few restaurants around 3rd and Mass NE which is only like two blocks from Union. There's also an italian restaurant (i believe) at 2nd and F NE which is also very close to Union. Other than that I can't think of much.

also, street parking is probably an option if you choose any of the restaurant areas that I mentioned. You'll probably have to search through side streets and if its during the week before 5pm you'll only have 2 hours. after 5 and on the weekends tho it is unlimited.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:11 AM

thanks guys, B. Smith's is interesting and a possibility. It will be on a Saturday night, so are you saying street parking around Union Station is possible?

Old 01-02-2010, 08:14 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
thanks guys, B. Smith's is interesting and a possibility. It will be on a Saturday night, so are you saying street parking around Union Station is possible?
There's no reason to look for street parking. I believe that you can still get a couple hours of parking in the Union Station garage for $1 with validation. Check to be sure when you make your reservation with the restaurant.

And speaking of the restaurant.....D.C.'s Restaurant Week will still be in effect on that Saturday night, so you can take advantage of the 3-course prix fixe menu at B.Smith's (or another participating restaurtant) if you'd like. Here's the link to B.Smith's offerings:

B. Smith - B.*Smith's*Union*Station

Old 01-02-2010, 08:54 AM

104 posts, read 253,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyofthebeast View Post

also, street parking is probably an option if you choose any of the restaurant areas that I mentioned. You'll probably have to search through side streets and if its during the week before 5pm you'll only have 2 hours. after 5 and on the weekends tho it is unlimited.
I think that DC parking regulations are changing so that you need to feed meters until or 10:00 PM or 10:30 PM beginning in 2010.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:45 AM

just bumping, going to be doing this next Saturday night. Any more restaurant suggestions? also any hints on the best way into DC from Leesburg area on a Saturday afternoon, to Union Station? I think we're going to park somewhere around Union Station and go eat in the vicinity.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:19 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,215,705 times
Capital City Brewery is right there. I've always liked that place. Nothing fancy, but the food isn't bad at all.

The Dubliner is a nice Irish Pub. It's a block away right next to another place called Irish Times. I've never been to The Dubliner, but heard it was really nice. I've been to Irish Times several times since it's a firefighter bar and located a block from my fire house. However, I've never had the food there and I'm not sure how good it is. Definitely not as fancy as The Dubliner though.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:31 AM

Thanks - my mother in law is a bit of a food snob, she prefers to cook herself than eat out, so it has to be a really good place so she can try some new dishes. Any regional food would be great too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC