Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2007, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,631 times

Advertisements

Hi all I am a single mom planning on relocating to the D.C. area soon its hard what do you advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 01:46 PM

261 posts, read 1,666,874 times
Need more details please. What are your concerns? What are you looking for advice on?

Old 06-08-2007, 03:08 PM

415 posts, read 1,960,787 times
Do you already have a job in the area? That'll direct most of the conversation.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:33 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,106 times
Yep. More info is needed so that we can appropriately direct you. Information such as:

1) Do you have a job lined up? If so, where is it located?
2) How much time are you willing to spend commuting?
3) Is access to public transportation important?
4) Are you looking to rent or buy?
5) How much are looking to spend on an apartment/home?
6) Are you looking for a city or suburban environment?

These are the main issues, but anything else in terms of your wants in a community would be helpful as well to further pinpoint an area for you.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:52 PM

10,221 posts, read 15,917,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodlyMom View Post
Hi all I am a single mom planning on relocating to the D.C. area soon its hard what do you advise?
Without more details, all I can say is avoid Prince George's County, DC itself, and Montgomery County. If you're from Texas you'll probably be turned off by the elitism in Montgomery especially....I grew up there and thanks to transplants its more New York than it is Maryland. New York not as in NYC, but as in the snobby freak show known as Long Island and Westchester and the Connecticut suburbs.

Frederick and Prince William Counties are affordable and its easier to buy a large house there. Housing is ridiculously expensive in Montgomery and Fairfax counties and now a lot of young people are stuck living in apartments or condos instead of buying large house in the burbs with a big yard and lots of open space. If taking public transport to work and the urban life is your thing, find someplace close to a Metro station, perhaps an aprtment in Arlington or Bethesda. But personally I'm all for the white picket fence in the subdivision kind of lifestyle. PG County is ghetto and infected with crime, drugs, gangs, and illegal immigration.

My reverse question is how is DFW. Its one of the places I'm really considering moving to along with Las Vegas, Tampa, Atlanta, New Orleans, Charlotte, or Raleigh. And if you can be impartial about it, how's Houston?

Old 06-15-2007, 01:53 PM

Oh yeah and exactly how bad are those legendary Dallas summers? Summer is my favorite season in DC.....

Old 06-16-2007, 04:02 PM

33 posts, read 239,752 times
^I can answer that one, since I grew up there...they're horrible. Really, really hot, extremely humid, and the air quality is pathetic. The air quality in any major city is going to be bad, but, the knowing doesn't it make it any better. There are usually mandatory and voluntary water restrictions in place, since it seldom rains during the summer months. Otherwise, it's an okay season...I prefer Dallas' falls and mild winters to its summers.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennOSU2008 View Post
^I can answer that one, since I grew up there...they're horrible. Really, really hot, extremely humid, and the air quality is pathetic. The air quality in any major city is going to be bad, but, the knowing doesn't it make it any better. There are usually mandatory and voluntary water restrictions in place, since it seldom rains during the summer months. Otherwise, it's an okay season...I prefer Dallas' falls and mild winters to its summers.
I've heard all kinds of different things about the humidity, some ppl say its humid like Houston and some say its dry like Las Vegas. Weather wise overall would you prefer DFW over DC-Baltimore?

Old 06-16-2007, 11:19 PM

33 posts, read 239,752 times
I've never been to Baltimore, so I can't say, and the last time I was in DC was in May 1999 on a class trip. I do remember that it was a bit more pleasant than Dallas, not as humid and a little cooler than Dallas is in May, and there were plenty of breezes to give us a break (forget about getting that in Dallas, unless a storm is coming). In Dallas, it's not the heat that gets you, it's the humidity. I would say that in general, Dallas is nowhere near being as humid as Houston, because of a lack of ocean proximity. It also depends on what part of Dallas you're in; I'm from the southern end of the county, so, I'm nowhere near any of the big lakes. Further north is worse, but not comparable to the ridiculous humidity Houston has. Think steambath. Whoever told you Dallas has a dry heat must have been there on a good day, because it is definitely a wet heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC