Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 09:22 PM

5 posts, read 16,398 times

Advertisements

My fiance, 4yr old daughter and two dogs are relocating to Tacoma in October. My fiance will be a W-1 by the time we move to Fort Lewis. We do not want to live on post. I have a career in Commercial Property Management and must find a job. So, my questions are:

Where is the affluent job market?

What are good neighborhoods to consider (renting) that can accommodate our family and pets? My commute to work and his commute to Fort Lewis? We are fine with a 20 minute commute.

Can you suggest a good Pre-K for my little girl?

What are rents like? We are willing to pay a higher rent for a safer neighborhood.

Crazy question...what are the spring and summers like? We get 102 degree weather in Augusta, GA sometimes but I love the heat.

I am really nervous about this move. We have lived on the east coast all of our lives and I have never even visited the West Coast. Please welcome us with open arms and help my family make good decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 20,060 times
Hello,

I'm from Tacoma, and I'm currently living in College Park, GA. You can find some decent homes in Lakewood, Steilacoom, Parkland, and Spanaway for your 20 min commute preference.
The pay is pretty good, alot better than here, and as far as the weather, it's no higher that about 92. Its always chilly and rainy no matter what season it is. You will miss the warm weather here.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:29 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,138,039 times
Misunderstood,
Coming from Georgia, it might take you a little while to acclimate. Our summers are very pleasant with hardly any humidity and highs averaging in the 80s. Our summers last from June through September. October is usually still pleasant. From November through March expect rain, with some snow (small amounts and brief periods) possible in December and January. Spring weather reigns from March through May, which will present the entire palette of weather (sometimes all on the same day).
You might want to consider living in Dupont, which is right across from Fort Lewis. From this location you're a 20 minute commute from Tacoma in the North and Olympia in the South. This might give you more employment options. Dupont is a desirable place to live because it's so conveniently located, so well cared for, friendly and safe. As a warrant officer your fiance should be able to afford the rent, or mortgage payments. [moderator cut: advertising] Don't be nervous about moving here. There's so much do see and do in our area. I'm sure you'll find your niche. Let me be the first to welcome you!

Sandy

Last edited by madicarus2000; 03-26-2008 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 03-25-2008, 10:06 PM

37 posts, read 180,904 times
Default You will like it

I lived in the STADIUM DISTRICT 5 min from Down Town and it is great. Stadium District, the North End i, old Town are all very beatuful Places. NICE apartments and Condos and very close to the water front. The only thing is that it is expensive to buy a hous in those areas. $300 000 and up, for a condo or a hous..
Now other areas to consider is University Place, Lakewood, Steilacoom, Parkland, Spanaway and DuPont. (Dupont has a wonderful family oriented, brand new development south of Fort Lewis on I-5. Very Safe to raise a family.
If you look really hard you can find disent apartments for around $500.00 a month. But you almost need to drive around and look for them. In the North End and Stadium District alot of the big old houses are divided into apartments and the rent is not that bad. I rented a one Bedroom with water view for $520.00 a month so its out there, you just have to look for it.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:50 AM

358 posts, read 1,056,615 times
The affluent areas of the Tacoma area are Gig Harbor, South Hill section of Puyallup, and parts of Lakewood (Madera and Gravelly Lake).

Schools are not good in Bethel (Spanaway) and Franklin Pierce (Parkland). In fact, my alma mater, Bethel High School is currently in the news because racial tension has escalated in violence recently. Puyallup Schools are well-funded and use their money well while Bethel has always pinched pennies.

You can probably expect to pay between $600 and $800 per month in rent for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment in these areas. Because these areas are close to Fort lewis and McChord, apartment complexes have experience with Military families. Most even have discounts for them.

Summer is typically mild. It'll reach into the 90s for a few days.

Don't be nervous about the move. Western Washington is mostly a quick-pace, demacratic/liberal, intelligent, and understanding place to live.

I actually work for a moving company and we are military approved. So who knows, my company may even be assigned to handle your delivery or pick you up when you leave the area.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:13 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,170,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Nelson View Post
Spring weather reigns from March through May, which will present the entire palette of weather (sometimes all on the same day).

No kidding! My son and I were in Tacoma yesterday and today visiting University of Puget Sound, and it was snowing like crazy over the campus while parts of the rest of the sky was blue. Everyone there was apologizing for the snow in March. We actually enjoyed it, since we don't get any where we live in northern California.

I thought North Tacoma was beautiful, with a really nice mix of interesting, nicely-maintained houses. We spent a little time at Point Defiance Park, which was gorgeous with the dense forest and views over the Sound, and walked along the trail along Ruston Way. I hope my son decides to go to school there (which is looking very likely) so I can have excuses to visit and spend more time there.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:23 PM

8 posts, read 25,418 times
Default Stick to the north end

I just moved to Tacoma 2 weeks ago and I love it. But I live in the north end, specifically on the border between old town and stadium district (yakima hill if you want to get really specific).

The rent here is a little more expensive, but it's worth it. I just saw parts of the east side today for the first time, and you definitely don't want to live there (that's why the rents are cheaper).

Believe me, compared to Seattle or any other big city, the north end of Tacoma will give you a great quality of living for a relatively reasonable price.

Tacoma does have a bad reputation and muggings have occurred even in the North End, but that's to be expected in any real city. Just be observant of the people around you and stick to your gut instincts.

North Tacoma is one of the most beautiful and underrated places in the U.S. and it's time more people realized it.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:10 PM

534 posts, read 3,110,780 times
Augusta is/was probably my favorite place in the world (I know that must sound funny). Great people, great music/art scene, history, and weather.

I agree with ehenson31, nice weather will be missed greatly. In Western WA you will have two seasons, gloom (9-10 months out of the year) and summer (2-3 months). It rarely gets hot here but we do have the occasional hot spell in the summer.

I would probably guess you will not end up *in* Tacoma but one of the surrounding areas. Tacoma's good for singles but families, I wouldn't recommend it. Might even want to check into Puyallup (little safer) or maybe south of the base (Lacey/Yelm) even though it might extend the commute a little (it'll be worth it).

Adjusting to west coast life takes about a year. Being military though this should be much easier for you since you'll be amongst a lot of transplants already. What you'll miss most about Augusta is the people.

good luck!

Old 04-15-2011, 01:10 AM

6 posts, read 9,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misunderstood73 View Post
My fiance, 4yr old daughter and two dogs are relocating to Tacoma in October. My fiance will be a W-1 by the time we move to Fort Lewis. We do not want to live on post. I have a career in Commercial Property Management and must find a job. So, my questions are:

Where is the affluent job market?

What are good neighborhoods to consider (renting) that can accommodate our family and pets? My commute to work and his commute to Fort Lewis? We are fine with a 20 minute commute.

Can you suggest a good Pre-K for my little girl?

What are rents like? We are willing to pay a higher rent for a safer neighborhood.

Crazy question...what are the spring and summers like? We get 102 degree weather in Augusta, GA sometimes but I love the heat.

I am really nervous about this move. We have lived on the east coast all of our lives and I have never even visited the West Coast. Please welcome us with open arms and help my family make good decisions.
I've found that almost EVERYONE has a dog, and some cats sitting on the back of the sofa in the front window.<
Spring is wonderful ( I dislike HOT weather) and summer and fall are great. It CAN get to 90's in July. Lots of 'mist' the other months so all vegetation is growing early and green all the time...except July.
The North end of Tacoma is where to live..north of 6th. Proctor, Old Town, etc.Tacoma seems to like naming every area!
Our kiddies went to pre-school @ First Pres. $$ but good. Also Grant School for the Performing Arts has pre-school(one goes there now) and they all seem quite intelligent.< There R a lot of parents who drive their kids to various schools as you have many choices.
We have a home there and spent the winter.
It's being redecorated as we're back in midwest so keep in touch. Our neighbors R just GREAT.
Helpful, friendly and lovable. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington