Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 05:26 PM

17 posts, read 43,745 times

Advertisements

Hi! Could you please tell me something about the personality of Olympia, Washington?

1. Are people there generally kind? This is my dealmaker/dealbreaker.

2. Are the conventional folks easygoing about eccentrics? I don't care if you're not like me, so long as you've got no problem with me being me. I can, when called upon, speak fluent Good Ol' Boy, Academia, New Age, Fundamentalist, Tribal Village, and Street.

3. Are the unconventional folks friendly, or divisive? Would you expect me to conform to some specific category, such as elderly hipster goth-punks who shave the left sides of their heads but never the right, and buy black lace only from Madrid, or else their mortal enemies, the dreadlocked, neo-hippy, Zen-Catholic tree-trunk anchorites, who wear tie-dye strictly in primary colors and forbid the consumption of corn? Or would you, instead of categories, say, "Hey, welcome sister! Be your own creative self, and I'll be mine, and let's revel in variety!"

4. What's the Hispanic culture like up there? Anyplace I can get handmade tortillas, or is it all the factory-stamped stuff in supermarkets? Do people ever kick up their heels in a fiesta now and then? Can I relax and not have to worry about whether the ID card in my purse suffices to prove that I'm a natural-born US citizen?

5. Would people feel comfortable with the facts that I'm Roman Catholic, my husband's Wiccan, we married despite all objections many years ago, and we both talk to trees?

6. Any age restrictions on eccentricity? (I will turn 56 at the end of this month. Nobody can say that I'm going through a phase.)

7. How's the local sense of humor?

8. I love the company of enthusiastic problem solvers, makers, and doers! Do you see them around a lot? Can we make friends?

I look forward to your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 05:35 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
This might help: http://www.amazon.com/Weird-Washingt.../dp/1402745451

Old 10-09-2012, 06:51 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,877,766 times
Given your age and nature, I'd think Vashon Island might be a better choice.

Olympia's eccentric... weird... unconventional folks are mostly those college students at Evergreen State College. Otherwise, its mostly a family-centric place with lots of government employees and military around.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:42 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,140,609 times
You'll fit in beautifully in Olympia.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:06 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
I've found people are mostly live and let live.

That said... waste and destructive civil disobedience definitely have limits.

A few years ago, there were protests as military were coming home... the protests resulted in soldiers being pelted and blocks of destruction, vandalism and even looting.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:48 AM

17 posts, read 43,745 times
All of this sounds quite helpful. I'm going to look into that book, consider Vashon Island, but also be open to Olypia herself, and avoid destructive people. "Destructive" and "Civil" do not belong in the same phrase--haven't these people ever heard of Gandhi?

Old 10-24-2012, 10:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Where you coming from ? comparing?

Oly is fine and plenty accepting, BUT the PNW is a bit different (from the 'friendly' standpoint). People are congenial, but don't reach out. (As they do in a Mid America Farm town... The Opposite of Ecclectic, but a VERY helpful and warm place to live)

YMMV

Old 11-17-2012, 08:47 PM

611 posts, read 1,205,491 times
The Wiccan + Roman Catholic would probably go over well in Olympia. Lots of Hispanics here and frankly the area is so PC I can't imagine anything ever being said about proving you are a naturally born citizen. There are several very good road stands with Mexican food. I have passed a small tortilla factory in Tumwater a million times but have never stopped in to see if it is authentic.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:23 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,380,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamdeer View Post
5. Would people feel comfortable with the facts that I'm Roman Catholic, my husband's Wiccan, we married despite all objections many years ago, and we both talk to trees?
Not only would be people be comfortable with that, I believe The Evergreen State College offers a graduate degree in tree talking.

Seriously there are plenty of eccentrics around Olympia and as long as you are mellow about it and easy to get along with and are generally a good neighbor, you'll fit right in.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:08 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
Funny thread, and interesting.

Much of Washington and Oregon seem to be filled with the exact kind of people the OP is looking for.

I didn't realize there were military near Olympia now. How large is/are the bases in that area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington