Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:33 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
What the heck are you saying??? Mankind has been crossing corn with mushrooms and tomatoes with frogs for 2000 years? (What are you smoking?)

Mankind has not been creating Genetically Modified Organisms for eons... A couple decades at best....

We are not opposed to hybrid, even lab hybrids, that would not happen in nature (Say between peppers, C. Chinese x C. Pubescen)

Heck, I am an Open Pollinated plant breeder. I "manipulate" crops, growing and saving seeds for traits and characteristics I desire.

THAT is not what we are talking about here...!!!
Go to your local college and take first quarter BioChemistry.

There are a LOT of ethical and environmental concerns with genetic engineering. Genetically modified food should be the least of our concerns.

Your manipulation of crops is no different than genetic engineering, except you do not understand what you are doing on a molecular level.

The best analogy is that your trying to write a computer program without knowing how to code. Genetic engineering is writing a computer program when you know how to code. Both are subject to crashes....

Biology is the next frontier. It will make the computer revolution look like child's play. Don't waste your time on GMO foods. Think about your values and how they relate to biological advances. I suspect just as with the Luddilite's in the 1800's there will be lots of folks that drop out of current society. That's fine.

For the rest of us. It will be an interesting and challenging time on many fronts.

Why do the same people that "love stem cell treatments" are in fear of GMO foods???

Last edited by 509; 11-07-2013 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 09:55 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Go to your local college and take first quarter BioChemistry.

There are a LOT of ethical and environmental concerns with genetic engineering. Genetically modified food should be the least of our concerns.

Your manipulation of crops is no different than genetic engineering, except you do not understand what you are doing on a molecular level.

Biology is the next frontier. It will make the computer revolution look like child's play. Don't waste your time on GMO foods.

Why do the same people that "love stem cell treatments" are in fear of GMO foods???
BECAUSE, that person with a stem sell treatment, does not pass that onto the next generation.

Transgenetic engineering is the concern here.
Transgenesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Inserting DNA into the genome of one species from another species is not the same as what I do!

Mutation of a species that can contaminate non mutated crops is the concern here.

I would have less problems with GMO's if they were sterile and unable infect and alter the genetics of non target organisms.

Unintentional cross mutation is the issue... For example, soon corn the world over will be carrying the BT gene..... What if that ends up being a mistake, inserting BT into the corn genome?

Do you see it is the unintended spread or reproduction that is the potential problem here!

Again, make your Frankenstein's sterile!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2013, 10:17 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
Quote:
BECAUSE, that person with a stem sell treatment, does not pass that onto the next generation.

Transgenetic engineering is the concern here.
Transgenesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Inserting DNA into the genome of one species from another species is not the same as what I do!

Mutation of a species that can contaminate non mutated crops is the concern here.

I would have less problems with GMO's if they were sterile and unable infect and alter the genetics of non target organisms.

Unintentional cross mutation is the issue... For example, soon corn the world over will be carrying the BT gene..... What if that ends up being a mistake, inserting BT into the corn genome?

Do you see it is the unintended spread or reproduction that is the potential problem here!

Again, make your Frankenstein's sterile!!!!!!!
I can agree with you on this issue.

Yes, GMO should be sterile. We need to have a public discussion on this issue. It has been discussed in scientific circles.

My point is that we are chasing rabbits with GMO foods. The point you bring up on sterility is valid for more reasons that you cite. THAT's what we need to discuss. And quit wasting our time with labeling requirements!!!

The concept of species is more of gradiant than absolute particularly at the molecular level.

You don't look like a chimp, but most of your DNA and the chimps match. Which is more important the DNA match or mis-match visually??

Old 11-07-2013, 02:03 PM

617 posts, read 1,201,935 times
Quackery? Fear mongering? Non-credible sources? I don't know, you'll have to be the judge on these:

Scientists Discover Bt Toxins Found in Monsanto Crops Damage Red Blood Cells

Scientists Discover Bt Toxins Found In Monsanto Crops Damage Red Blood Cells | Collective-Evolution

New Study Proves Bt Toxins in GMOs Toxic to Mammalian Blood

New Study Proves Bt Toxins in GMOs Toxic to Mammalian Blood

Dangerous Toxins From Genetically Modified Corn Found in Blood of Women and Fetuses

Dangerous Bt-Toxin Found in Monsanto

Old 11-07-2013, 02:31 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,468 times
Quote:
Sorry,
I see flaw after flaw in your argument.
1. "no way stop or lessen gmo development or production"???
It is a free market economy correct? What if 45% of the population does not buy products containing GMO. Are you suggesting that will not effect production or the flow of money into development??? You got to be kidding me...
Do you have some kind of proof that anywhere close to 45% of the population gives a damn about GMO's, one way or another?

The measure to simply LABEL GMO's failed, with about 45% "yes" votes. I think it's a fairly big stretch to say that EVERY ONE of those yes votes is inherently as against GMO's as you are. AND, the 45% is not 45% of the population, but the 45% of who voted in an off-year election. So it would take more than 100% of the yes votes to create your anti-GMO boycott - i.e. you would be asking people to boycott (i.e. give up) something completely, and commit to, that some of them were too lazy to even bother to vote on at all.

And that's just one state out of 50. Do you seriously think that's enough to stem the development of GMO's?

This thread has gotten a little too emotional for me, so I'll bow out.

Last edited by PS90; 11-07-2013 at 02:43 PM..

Old 11-07-2013, 04:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
...My point is that we are chasing rabbits with GMO foods. ...?
Emotional and DANGEROUS for Rabbits BYE

GMO labeling will clear the hurdle next time; if we haven't all mutataed

Old 11-07-2013, 04:43 PM

115 posts, read 227,689 times
lol!

Old 11-08-2013, 08:07 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Do you have some kind of proof that anywhere close to 45% of the population gives a damn about GMO's, one way or another?

The measure to simply LABEL GMO's failed, with about 45% "yes" votes. I think it's a fairly big stretch to say that EVERY ONE of those yes votes is inherently as against GMO's as you are. AND, the 45% is not 45% of the population, but the 45% of who voted in an off-year election. So it would take more than 100% of the yes votes to create your anti-GMO boycott - i.e. you would be asking people to boycott (i.e. give up) something completely, and commit to, that some of them were too lazy to even bother to vote on at all.

And that's just one state out of 50. Do you seriously think that's enough to stem the development of GMO's?

This thread has gotten a little too emotional for me, so I'll bow out.
Thanks for the debate everyone... Yep, a bit too emotional for me too.. (Sorry)

I have no proof of % that care... Just know a growing market segment does... Enough for us "nut jobs" to show up on the radar of the big boys... In today's tight competitive system the big boys fight over the crumbs... Us little guys live off the crumbs that fall through the cracks.

Just trying to keep the renaissance movement of the small family farmer alive...

Peace..
TT

Old 11-11-2013, 03:17 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I agree with this completely. Unfortunately, evidence-based science seems to take a back-seat to emotional knee-jerk-reaction in some political circles.

What, exactly, is the reason that GMO's are banned in other countries? Because "Genetically-Modified" sounds scary?

I highly doubt that Europe has a bunch of secret scientific studies proving the detrimental health effects of GMO's, and just don't want to share with us.

I get tired of the "Well, Britain (or France, or Italy, etc) did such-and-such, so we should too", even though they have no more evidence or reasoning than we do.
It's not that it was banned on one OR another of those countries, it's the fact that these are banned in MANY of these countries- a large chunk of the EU as well as many other countries around the world have banned GMO's. When we are sitting here as the minority in our feeling that they are fine and dandy, shouldn't we maybe double check our supposed evidence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington