Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 12:30 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times

Advertisements

These two women were arrested for placing shunts on local railroad tracks to protest. I guess Bellingham has some well-educated ones. They face federal charges.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...a-d672caeaaa80
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 05:58 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
These two women were arrested for placing shunts on local railroad tracks to protest. I guess Bellingham has some well-educated ones. They face federal charges.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...a-d672caeaaa80
Given the recent conversations about crime and safety in Bellingham, is the point of this post simply to scare people away from considering a move to the area?

I continue to find it strange that we seem to have our own trolling section on this website.

Last edited by bartonizer; 12-02-2020 at 06:46 AM..

Old 12-02-2020, 09:14 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Given the recent conversations about crime and safety in Bellingham, is the point of this post simply to scare people away from considering a move to the area?

I continue to find it strange that we seem to have our own trolling section on this website.
While I agree that there is a couple of anti B'ham Trolls hanging around I think this is a newsworthy story worth sharing.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:51 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
While I agree that there is a couple of anti B'ham Trolls hanging around I think this is a newsworthy story worth sharing.
Yep, gotta take the bad with the good sometimes

Old 12-02-2020, 01:00 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I guess? But I don't see other people posting about random crimes on these threads. Right now, three of the first eight threads in the Washington forum are about Bellingham crime, and these all started when someone expressed interest in the city a couple of weeks ago and asked questions about safety. Conservatives from rural surrounding areas started piling it on and acting like Bellingham was some sort of super dangerous area to be avoided at all costs, which isn't remotely true.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. We also have an ongoing thirteen year old thread with angry native or longtime Bellinghamsters who question the intent of newer or perspective residents and regularly post about issues like high housing prices, traffic, disparities in wealth, homelessness, and even grey skies in the winter, as if they're completely limited to Whatcom County. Ridiculous, and a very skewed representation of what this place is all about.

Old 12-02-2020, 01:53 PM

299 posts, read 224,193 times
Pretty par the course for the northern WA eco-warriors. I’ve always wondered how much harm to the Earth their action of protest end up causing?

Say a train derails with toxins or substances that can do exceptional harm to the surrounding environment. How is that protecting the Earth; you've now done exactly what you accuse others of doing only you did it with malice. These people are simply followers of a self-absorbed cult that has convinced them that harming others (the and very environment they supposedly are trying to protect) will make their own lives better for whatever reason.

Old 12-02-2020, 02:55 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,729,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post

I find it strange that someone wouldn't want to know that the next time they go to cross train tracks, that the crossing could have been sabotaged such that the arms/lights/bells won't work and get broadsided and killed by a million tons of freight train. Or even worse, the train hits a truck heavy enough and derails, spilling flammable or poisonous liquids or gasses, and or catching fire! This article posts more details about where the shunts were placed and the various things they affected, it appears that a total of 41 of them were placed in Whatcom and Skagit counties which affected various pieces of warning equipment.
https://www.heraldnet.com/northwest/...-against-bnsf/

Maybe like the crime in this area, it doesn't matter as long as it doesn't happen to you?

"On ten occasions, shunts were placed in areas that disrupt the crossing guards where the tracks cross streets, so vehicles could have tried to cross the tracks unaware of the oncoming train.”

When the first shunts appeared on tracks in January, the Antifa group It’s Going Down claimed responsibility, stating that the goal was to “fight against colonial invasion.”

On Oct. 11, multiple shunts were placed in three locations in Whatcom and Skagit counties and triggered an automatic braking system on a train transporting hazardous, combustible material, the release states. The emergency braking caused a portion of the train to decouple from the engine, causing a potential derailment of tanker cars carrying flammable gas in a residential area.

Reiche has reportedly served as a deputy field organizer for Washington State Democrats, and at the time of her arrest, had a sticker on the back of her car that said "Indigenous Land" over a picture of the entire United States. A request for comment from the group was not immediately returned."

As far as my old thread you continue to slander, "I offer the truth, and nothing more".

Last edited by rkcarguy; 12-02-2020 at 03:26 PM..

Old 12-02-2020, 03:16 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,729,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggznsauce View Post
Pretty par the course for the northern WA eco-warriors. I’ve always wondered how much harm to the Earth their action of protest end up causing?

Say a train derails with toxins or substances that can do exceptional harm to the surrounding environment
Nothing good would happen for sure. Train hits someone in a car that didn't look both ways that's bad enough, but maybe it hits a school bus, or a big rig, and derails, catches fire, and or explodes. For example, I know that they have propane terminals that interface with the RR in at least two spots in Whatcom county and it's a common tank car item among our freight.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:29 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Idealism gone awry...

Old 12-05-2020, 12:30 PM

92 posts, read 87,057 times
These two wingnuts don't represent responsible environmentalism anymore than the idiot teen who crossed state lines to shoot two protestors represents responsible gun ownership.
The 80/20 rule applies to pretty much all such....80 per cent of the folks are there for the right reasons, 20 per cent for the wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington