Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2016, 09:21 AM

11 posts, read 21,842 times

Advertisements

I miss rain. I'm from Scotland.

I was thinking of moving my LLC from CA to WA

From my research it seems that I would be taxed on revenue and not profit?

I sell scientific instrumentation to National Labs and Universities around the country. So I would be taxed on that revenue?

For example, I may sell and instrument package for $1,000,000 but the margin could be very small.
In addition I spend a lot of my year on business travel to conferences around the world.
It seems I wouldn't be able to deduct any of that travel?

I'd love to move to WA but I don't see how it could work...

(In addition, does B&O tax only apply to sales within WA? The majority of my sales would be outside WA.)

Last edited by hotscot; 03-12-2016 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 04:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
B&O is on 100% gross revenues... Yes you can lose money and still OWE WA B & O (usually quite low tax, but depends on your product.)

Go to WA DOR and take the online classes. Then you will probably form your LLC in NV or MT or like the big boys... DEL or in a US protectorate.

Hundreds of businesses flee WA every yr. Idaho claims the WA DOR is their BEST friend, bring lots of companies, jobs, wealth to ID. . Good thing you are not a dairy farmer, it is a PITA to move a generations old HUGE farm... But WA vote is controlled by two counties of renters and employees. They don't take into acct that the measures they vote on are putting their employer and food grower out of business. The remaining 37 counties are not represented, and endure the pain till they can no longer afford to keep a business running in WA.

Definately flee CA for your LLC, most my CA suppliers chose NV. SD has the easiest domicile requirement for an income tax free state (one night per lifetime). My internet sales clients / friend often go to US Virgin Islands. Good place to go during 280 days overcast in WA on paid company travel.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:48 PM

11 posts, read 21,842 times
That's a shame...I've always fancied WA. However taxes...

Old 03-12-2016, 09:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotscot View Post
That's a shame...I've always fancied WA. However taxes...
Taxes.... I pay $40/ day ($14,400/ yr + 18% for 2016). for WA property taxes on a residence that used to be $3/ day. Built for $100k, taxed on $1m.

If ever leaving CA, Retain any CA prop 13 benefit, I had thousands of bay area coworkers who came to Colorado, Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. The smart ones retained property in CA so they could 'stay-in-the-game'. Most returned for retirement PT, while keeping a WA domicile.

Business taxes are another animal.

Such as retail food.... Offer napkins on the same counter as that donut?, then the sale is taxable. If napkins are on a different counter / table, then the donut is tax free. Very complicated.
Be sure to understand Use tax and Personal Property tax on business assets (such as paper clips, office chairs, waste baskets, pencils,...)

If you sell or perform services to more than one WA taxing district, you need to itemize and charge each area differently. (Based on local levies / business taxes)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington