Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate Foggia's climate
A 3 23.08%
B 2 15.38%
C 3 23.08%
D 5 38.46%
F 0 0%
Z 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 10:28 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,813,825 times

Advertisements

You can look at the weather stats here (Italian article though but it's the usual template so you should know; stats are between 1970-2000) and here (English but not as accurate)

A clarification. It's a rather continental climate which means as it's quite exposed cold snaps mostly from East and North which means that zero degrees or lower temps aren't uncommon on winter nights while this could never be experienced on the Tyrrhenian side of Italy who are sheltered from the Appennines. Ice days aren't likely at all. February 2012 was probably the coldest month in recent times.

Shoulder seasons are what you would expect in a Mediterranean country, they are the wetter period of the year, trees usually bloom around mid-late March and rarely later but the Spring season usually gets in full swing in April. Same goes for Autumn, leaves fall in mid-late October whereas Autumn weather gets in full spring in early-mid October.

Summer is baking hot, rarely humid but when coldwaves hit us weare one of the warmest area in Italy and Europe having hit 47C° in June 2007. we can get months such as July 2015 and July 2007

Last edited by improb; 05-31-2016 at 11:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 10:33 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
A bit too hot in summer, and obviously too warm in winter. Shoulder seasons are ok. But it's not bad for a "winterless" climate.

I'll say B-/C+. Can't decide.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:45 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
I like it, it has similar climate to inland LA with the exception of precip distribution. Under my climate system, both are Btb (Subtropical Semi Arid Hot Summer), so Foggia gets an A- from me 👍

Old 05-31-2016, 11:57 AM

13,479 posts, read 9,020,662 times
A 'C' from me as winters are a bit too cool, surprised that the summer minimums are not a little higher too..

Old 05-31-2016, 12:09 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
You can look at the weather stats here (Italian article though but it's the usual template so you should know; stats are between 1970-2000) and here (English but not as accurate)

A clarification. It's a rather continental climate which means as it's quite exposed cold snaps mostly from East and North which means that zero degrees or lower temps aren't uncommon on winter nights while this could never be experienced on the Tyrrhenian side of Italy who are sheltered from the Appennines. Ice days aren't likely at all. February 2012 was probably the coldest month in recent times.

Shoulder seasons are what you would expect in a Mediterranean country, they are the wetter period of the year, trees usually bloom around mid-late March and rarely later but the Spring season usually gets in full swing in April. Same goes for Autumn, leaves fall in mid-late October whereas Autumn weather gets in full spring in early-mid October.

Summer is baking hot, rarely humid but when coldwaves hit us weare one of the warmest area in Italy and Europe having hit 47C° in June 2007. we can get months such as July 2015 and July 2007

This street view says all I need to know about your climate.

https://goo.gl/maps/KELih6NiXho

Your avg jan low shown in the table was 37F. I don't know of many places in the US with an avg Jan low of 37F and beautiful healthy CIDP palms. Consider Atlanta low of 35F and you won't see those. Consider Charleston SC avg low of 40F and you will not see public street plantings of CIDP.

Your climate is far more stable than anything over here in the East. And no ice days is pretty impressive given your latitude. I don't have to tell you how far south in the US places with ice days happen.

B+ for your climate.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:11 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
B+, very good climate. Would need to be 3-7° warmer in winter to be an A+ climate

Old 05-31-2016, 12:13 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,383,967 times
Between A and B, a good, nice climate.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:21 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,676,644 times
D: it's a bad climate for me. Summers are too hot, and winters are warm. At least winters are comfortable, so it's not hot year-round, as there's a comfortable period. It looks very similar to Bahía Blanca, Argentina.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:54 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,813,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
This street view says all I need to know about your climate.

https://goo.gl/maps/KELih6NiXho

Your avg jan low shown in the table was 37F. I don't know of many places in the US with an avg Jan low of 37F and beautiful healthy CIDP palms. Consider Atlanta low of 35F and you won't see those. Consider Charleston SC avg low of 40F and you will not see public street plantings of CIDP.

Your climate is far more stable than anything over here in the East. And no ice days is pretty impressive given your latitude. I don't have to tell you how far south in the US places with ice days happen.

B+ for your climate.
I meant "continental" more in the sense that it tends to have high diurnal ranges, especially in summer and not in the sense that temps are variable from one week to the other but then again this May we've had a day with a high of 13C° and another with a high of 34C° which is pretty continental for Italian standards.

As for winter lows, they venture below zero but never exaggeratedly (lowest minimum ever is -10,5C° and that was three decades ago) so which i guess allows CIDP palms to thrive.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:01 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,676,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
I meant "continental" more in the sense that it tends to have high diurnal ranges, especially in summer and not in the sense that temps are variable from one week to the other but then again this May we've had a day with a high of 13C° and another with a high of 34C° which is pretty continental for Italian standards.

As for winter lows, they venture below zero but never exaggeratedly (lowest minimum ever is -10,5C° and that was three decades ago) so which i guess allows CIDP palms to thrive.
Is there any city in Italy with a temperature span of 70 °C or more? I would be interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather