Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2016, 07:39 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Robusta are less cold hardy than filifera, here in the SW, you don't see any robusta above 2,000 ft/600 m elevation in the deserts and on the coast, they only go as far north as the Bay Area. Filifera however are found as high as 4,200 ft/1,260 m here in AZ. Filifera are good to 8B in dry climates, in humid/wet climates though, filifera don't do well below Zone 9B/10A.

Everything I've read about robusta says that temps below -6.7°C in a dry climate or -3°C in a wet/humid climate does damage or even kills them.
I guess it depends how a dry or wet climate is defined. My climate gets moderately wet winters( 150mm a month average), but regular frosty nights and sunny days mean that conditions are typically dryish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 07:48 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,110 times
So Robusta would grow only on the Coastline of Southern Brazil,since the interior can get -5C/-6C almost every year.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:21 PM

2,933 posts, read 1,312,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Frost in parts of southern England is very rare, that's why the palms can be grown, the average winter low on the Scilly's is about 8 degrees centigrade! And not far off that on the mainland of the South West. London is NOT the mildest part of the UK, its the wrong side of the island for that but even (this side) of the island frost is not that common (I scraped the windscreen of my car twice last year), nobody is saying the climate between New Zealand and the UK is the same (obviously) but as climates go they are pretty similar really.
Most of New Zealand would be similar to South Australia and new south Wales In terms of sunshine and temperatures. Hobart, Canberra, Melbourne and Sydney climates would be more similar to most of New Zealand's climate than the UK would. To me New Zealand was a HUGE step up from Irelands climate and talking to Irish and British expats they feel the same. In terms of plants and trees, New Zealand has quite native exotic trees such as it's fern and cordyline australis which look similar to palm trees. New Zealand's native bush already at times give the country a warm temperate to subtropical feel which is consistent with its image yet Ireland and the UK trying to introduce palm trees just doesn't fit in with the rest of its natural eco system

Last edited by Paddy234; 10-12-2016 at 11:56 PM..

Old 10-12-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
London is not the UK's warmest city in winter.
I meant warmest city on average including its summers aswell, correct me if I'm wrong though

Old 10-12-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
They're the same classification. NZ is more diverse climatically and a bit more extreme.

My climate is a 9b (-4.4C annual low) and my 3 year old filifera is doing just fine. Got a bit knocked around in the first winter, but it was only small, the last two winters have been fine, with no marking or frost burn, despite it receiving a good dose of visible frost on many nights during winter, and lplenty of rain (1450mm).

Got a few robustas around the place, and they're as tough as anything.
Melbourne and Sydney are the same classification but I would hardly call them similar to the UK climate and seeing exotic and palm trees there just feels natural compared to northern Europe

Old 10-12-2016, 11:30 PM

126 posts, read 88,758 times
Palms in the UK and northern Europe are out of place. Palms belong in a climate worthy of them. Can't enjoy palms in cold climates.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:48 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercoholism View Post
Palms in the UK and northern Europe are out of place. Palms belong in a climate worthy of them. Can't enjoy palms in cold climates.
Why not? I always enjoy seeing pics of the coldest places a CIDP can grow.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:55 AM

126 posts, read 88,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Why not? I always enjoy seeing pics of the coldest places a CIDP can grow.
Because palms are a symbol of warmth.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:46 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
I meant warmest city on average including its summers aswell, correct me if I'm wrong though
London and Portsmouth have the warmest annual mean temperature. London has the warmest summers in the UK with average highs of 21-24c, and Cornwall/Devon coastal areas have the warmest winters, with average highs around 9-11c.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:50 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercoholism View Post
Because palms are a symbol of warmth.
They are more a symbol of not cold. If a CIDP and other species can grow here without any assistance, then I don't see the problem. Not even December 2010 killed off the CIDPs or Washingtonias here (though further north there were CIDP victims).

There are a few avocado trees, and the world's most northerly fruiting grapefruit here (half the fruit is pith, but grapefruit would be more of a symbol of warmth than a palm surely)? I think the grapefruit is more impressive than a CIDP here, as it fruits outside without protection, whereas there are probably thousands of CIDPs in London alone.

A coconut palm in London would be a different story, as you could only grow that in a climate controlled greenhouse, and it would only be outside from June-September.

Last edited by B87; 10-13-2016 at 03:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather