Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:12 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,181,461 times

Advertisements

For the place where you live... or if you don't want to use your place, you can use somewhere with a standard 4-season climate... you are allowed to make any change you want to the averages, but you have to pay for it somewhere else, so that the averages stay the same. So if you want 20 more inches of snow, which equates to about 2 inches of rain, you have to reduce your precipitation by 2 inches in another season. Conversely, if you want 20 inches less snow, you have to make up the 2 inches by having more rain in another season.

If i could make one change to my climate, i would have the spring be 5 degrees warmer. I am thinking back to last spring, when temps were above normal in March, April, and May, how nice and mild it was. By April, it was consistently warm and beautiful. Usually April is mediocre in PA, in my opinion, with more chilly days than nice ones. I would like to have it be consistently warm from April on.

I would make up for the mild spring by having winter be 5 degrees colder. I already hate winter anyway, so what's the big deal if its 5 degrees colder? I'm going to hibernate as much as possible whether its 29 degrees or 34 degrees. Plus, we would probably have more snowstorms if it was colder, so all my friends who like skiing would be happy. I also think I could deal with winter a bit easier if i could look forward to a long, mild spring.

So what about you? How would you change your climate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 07:20 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
40 inches more snow during the winter, 4 inches less rain during the summer. So I guess it'd average out to about 2 inches of rain per month during July and August instead of 4.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:01 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
For the place where you live... or if you don't want to use your place, you can use somewhere with a standard 4-season climate... you are allowed to make any change you want to the averages, but you have to pay for it somewhere else, so that the averages stay the same. So if you want 20 more inches of snow, which equates to about 2 inches of rain, you have to reduce your precipitation by 2 inches in another season. Conversely, if you want 20 inches less snow, you have to make up the 2 inches by having more rain in another season.

If i could make one change to my climate, i would have the spring be 5 degrees warmer. I am thinking back to last spring, when temps were above normal in March, April, and May, how nice and mild it was. By April, it was consistently warm and beautiful. Usually April is mediocre in PA, in my opinion, with more chilly days than nice ones. I would like to have it be consistently warm from April on.

I would make up for the mild spring by having winter be 5 degrees colder. I already hate winter anyway, so what's the big deal if its 5 degrees colder? I'm going to hibernate as much as possible whether its 29 degrees or 34 degrees. Plus, we would probably have more snowstorms if it was colder, so all my friends who like skiing would be happy. I also think I could deal with winter a bit easier if i could look forward to a long, mild spring.

So what about you? How would you change your climate?
I agree with your idea about the spring vs. winter.

I would lop off some more degrees from winter and add them to spring and fall.

However, I don't want my winters to get too much colder than they already are in absolute terms, so I'll lop off some degrees from the December, January and February's highs (and keep the lows the same) and add them to, and distribute them among spring and fall's highs and lows. If the winter highs are lower, I won't mind as much as it's going to be cold anyways.

In fact if the winter highs are closer to the lows, it'd feel less of a sudden drop when it gets dark (and be used to the daytime being sort of chilly anyways) so it's kind of a gain that way anyways (though still far from an ideal).

Here is the climate I'm using (Toronto, Pearson airport station)

Station Results | Canada's National Climate Archive

In Celsius:

Real December: 0.9/-6.7
Real January: -2.1/-10.5
Real February: -1.1/-9.7

take 5 C off each high, so it becomes:

Dec: -4.1/-6.7
Jan: -7.1/-10.5
Feb: -6.1/-9.7

I gain 15 extra degrees C.

Now add the extra degrees to April, May and October

Real April: 11.5/1, change to 16.5 / 5 (added 5 degrees to high and 4 degrees to the low)

Real May: 18.8/6.9 change to 20.8/ 6.9 (used up 2 degrees to increase the high)

Real October: 13.9/3.9, change to 17.9/3.9 (used 4 degrees to increase the high)

I just made my climate a little more continental perhaps. Still far from my ideal climate but at least I get to squeeze a little more out for fall/spring-like if not "summer-like" months.

Also, would it be cheating if I took some of those winter winds (avoiding the more bitter windchills) and plopped them into the middle of the dog days of July/August to create summer breezes?

Old 05-12-2011, 03:15 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,909 times
I would like my city to have more temp seasonality. Let the summers be reasonably warm (but with comfortably low humidity) and the winters cold enough to have regular snowfall. So this would result in summers with daytime high temps in the 80 - 90 F range and winter high temps in the 30 - 40 F range.

Not that this would be ideal, but it's better than having a cool summer and a chilly (but snow-less) winter.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:36 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
Add 10C to all the average low and high temperatures and have 50 days with thunderstorms a year.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:27 PM

497 posts, read 1,088,096 times
I wouldn't want winters any colder than they are now, as that would mean snow. So I don't have any spare temps to play with.
I'm happy with the seasonal variation here anyway, so I will live things untouched.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:47 PM

578 posts, read 1,188,726 times
Copy and paste July's averages into the other 11 months.

Avg max: 23.5C
Avg min: 13.9C
Sunshine: 211 hours
Precip: 45mm
Days with precip: 7

For every month of the year. It would probably rate an A on 'rate a climate', instead of the C that most people rated our real climate.

As that is not part of the game, I would take 1-2 degrees off the winter lows, and add them to summer highs. Our winter lows would still be above freezing and 2C on each summer month would give average highs of 23.1C, 25.5C, 25.2C.

Also 1C off the July and August mins, dropping them to 13C. Added to the highs for May (taking the average high to 19C) and September (up to 21C).

I'd also remove 90% of the precipitation between June-Sept and give it all to the Dec-Feb period.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:14 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Add 10C to all the average low and high temperatures and have 50 days with thunderstorms a year.
Re-read the OP.

Quote:
you are allowed to make any change you want to the averages, but you have to pay for it somewhere else

Old 05-12-2011, 01:34 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Re-read the OP.

WellI I never did understand games.

Fine then

I will add 10c to every month but double the rainfall.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:33 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
this game is too hard.

cloudy, cool--Set the thermostat and never allow it to be changed. /gavel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather