Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 05:03 PM

914 posts, read 2,105,243 times

Advertisements

my preference is really anything 60F and below, with dark, cloudy skies. there are no conflicting interests...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 05:24 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,071,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
I'd rather have (lightly) freezing/snowy -5°C conditions rather than grey 8°C rain. In other words, I hate winter, but I'd prefer a real winter over a crappy oceanic/mediterranean winter for sure.
My view exactly.

I'm always happy when we get a cold (-3 C or so) morning as it usually means a clear, sunny day that will warm up quickly. Far better than yesterday here with a low of 4 C and 8 C high and lots of drizzle.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:28 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,534,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
I love 30°C+ heat and my ideal climates are equatorial/tropical ones and I would be the happiest man ever if I could live permanently in Singapore and see no trace of winter ever again.
really?? wow. I would be the unhappiest person on earth if i had to be in Singapore with 35c all year with all that humidity. it will be impossible to sleep with that heat. Ill probably end up dying for the lack of sleeping.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
really?? wow. I would be the unhappiest person on earth if i had to be in Singapore with 35c all year with all that humidity. it will be impossible to sleep with that heat. Ill probably end up dying for the lack of sleeping.
people in the tropics don't sleep well, that's why they're unable to be productive, causing the plague of economic poverty where they live. I speak from personal experience of living in the deep tropics! sleeping is pretty much impossible. the poor without A/C leave their windows open throughout the night, and they sleep inside these mosquito nets.

http://www.nicamaka.net/images/CampNetBed-T3-600x800-MVC-902X.JPG (broken link)

Last edited by Kaul; 08-18-2011 at 08:12 PM..

Old 08-18-2011, 07:36 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,715,400 times
For me I prefer a cold rain and 5C as opposed to snow at -5C because at least I don't have to shovel rain and it doesn't cause accidents or grind public transport to a halt as much as snow does here.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:11 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
people in the tropics don't sleep well, that's why they're unable to be productive, causing the plague of economic poverty where they live. I speak from personal experience of living in the deep tropics! sleeping is pretty much impossible. the poor without A/C leave their windows open throughout the night, and they sleep inside these mosquito nets.
Sleeping without A/C in Puerto Rico during my younger years was awful. After we got it, it was such a relief. Even not using A/C at all during the day can become taxing on you. Heat is overrated, way overrated. I was born and raised in the Caribbean, I know

Old 08-18-2011, 09:26 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,940,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Sleeping without A/C in Puerto Rico during my younger years was awful. After we got it, it was such a relief. Even not using A/C at all during the day can become taxing on you. Heat is overrated, way overrated. I was born and raised in the Caribbean, I know
I work with a couple of PR people. My boss is Puerto Rican via grandparents emigrating there from Spain. He is blonde haired, lighted eyed and loves the climate here in Philly. He has no intention of ever living in PR. However, another guy at work can't wait to get back there. He has Taino blood and is dark skinned.

I wonder if people with more European roots, who happen to have been born into tropical climates, feel much more at home in more temperate climates. Think there is anything genetic to it? What do you think? However, I know some European people love high heat. Maybe it all just comes down to our own body type regardless of ethnic gentics.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:34 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,543,062 times
Just look at the main Hispanic, African, South Asian, and Southeast Asian population centers in the U.S. They are mostly centered in the south (Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, New Orleans, Miami, Atlanta) and west (Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose). While the north has a large European majority.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:59 PM

Poverty in the tropics. Obviously some of you can't connect the dots to realize that warm weather=poverty. Nobody lives in wooden shacks in subarctic regions.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:25 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,467,594 times
My main contradiction is that while I like warm temperatures, I also get bored easily if the weather doesn't change sufficiently.

I also kinda wish that the earth spun around the sun quicker. That way the seasons would be one or two months long instead of 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather