Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 11:32 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times

Advertisements

Would you get bored, occasionally, and get mischievous, at times, and unleash a string of tornadoes somewhere, flood out a city, rock people out of their beds some night with an earthquake, let an area of the world die of thirst as a form of punishment, create a hailstorm somewhere, dump 2 feet of snow some place where they've never seen snow before, dump a foot of rain, just for fun, somewhere in the Atacama Desert where they normally only get .01 precip. a year?

Nah! I can't think of anyone who becomes the newly-elected Mother Nature to be that insensitive or sadistic or fun-loving! Or would the temptations be too great to overcome?

What kind of Mother would you be? And what would be fun to you?

Last edited by elnina; 12-26-2013 at 01:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 11:35 PM

51 posts, read 89,559 times
I would be a very very harsh mother. The worst weather this world has ever seen. especially in highly populated areas.

WHY? because us humans have destroyed so much of this world, taken so much from the other animals that try so deseperately to survive in an environment that has been formed to be suited for people.

when I am done, people will respect the world again.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:39 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,966,685 times
I'd dump a lot of rain for the Atacama and Sahara deserts. They need it.

Also make Singapore a bit drier.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:04 AM

166 posts, read 228,518 times
Rain would be made of beer and Melbourne would be the wettest place on Earth.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:42 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,977,590 times
Hong Kong gets slashed by a record-breaking cold snap, setting a new record low of -10.9 C (12.4 F) at the HKO.

Last edited by Caleb Yeung; 12-26-2013 at 01:51 AM..

Old 12-26-2013, 04:45 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,387,502 times
Guessing that being mother nature doesn't give me the power to change climates I'd go with this.

I'd let loose a massive cold wave throughout Europe with the British isles seeing record breaking cold London will see a new record low of -17c alongside other British cities. I can almost hear the news stories already "ice age comes to Britain" Also blizzards.

I'd make Melbourne see its coldest winter on record with 4cm of snow falling in the suburbs. Poor Full overcast.

NYC will see one of its coldest summers with temperatures failing to reach 28c in July while Northern Britain sees its most thundery and warm summer for a while.

The Asian monsoon expands to the middle east Dubai sees record breaking rain and floods.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:01 AM

166 posts, read 228,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post

I'd make Melbourne see its coldest winter on record with 4cm of snow falling in the suburbs. Poor Full overcast.
Meh, I wouldn't mind seeing snow. What would piss me off is extended multi day overcast cold and cold nights in summer. Oh wait......

Old 12-26-2013, 05:05 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
I'd allow a permanent easterly flow to develop over the UK (in winter), allowing lake-effect snow showers to affect eastern areas.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:18 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
I'd rather be Father of Men. Being Mother Nature is boring. Chaos is more imaginative, ingenious and surprising when done by humans.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:03 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,320,947 times
I would absolutely be as stable and as boring as it gets. To me, normal is EVERYTHING. Although I like warm weather, I wouldn't do things like make Alaska warm, also I'm not fond of rain but in places that get a lot of rain (like Oregon), it would always be that way. Whatever is normal for an area, it would ALWAYS do that. ALWAYS. Florida would NEVER have any hard freezes, spring would never have any cold snaps, Christmas would never be warm enough for wearing shorts except in places like Key West. You sure as heck would NEVER, EVER, EVER have those times where it's 80 one day and barely in the 40s a scant 3 days later. You would NEVER read about New Mexico receiving twice as much rain as Seattle.

Never, never, ever, ever. Not even once in 30 trillion years.

And the first person who complained about it being "boring" would be burned alive by falling rocks right in front of their children.

You like "variety?" Then move to a place that has 4 seasons as a NORMAL pattern, but NEVER would I cater to the nonsense that Key West is "boring" because it never snows, or Arizona is "boring" because it doesn't rain enough. Expecting or even WANTING snow in Florida is ridiculous, wanting constant rain in the desert when you're not in Seattle anymore is ridiculous. Me: I chose to move to a certain area knowing what its normal weather patterns are & I expect to get that, just as I expect 60 watts from a 60 watt light bulb, not 30 watts one day and 200 watts the next. To do otherwise is nothing less than a form of fraud & cheating.

As you can tell, I absolutely cannot STAND it when weather isn't normal. To me it's like math--2+5 is always 7, always. Christmas is on the 25th, NO MATTER what day of the week it lands on, it is ALWAYS on the 25th. I don't like inconsistencies & drama--if I wanted drama, I'd watch a soap opera. If I wanted constant up-down nonsense, I'd get a season pass to Six Flags and ride the roller coasters. I like things predictable & consistent, no surprises. If I want something wacko, I'll make it that way myself by changing my routines and my life MYSELF. I do not appreciate or accept it being done TO me, and with wacko aspects such as it being 80 degrees one day and in the 40s less than a week later, all during a time when the normal is around 62. Instead, during that time, it would ALWAYS be 57-67, no more than 5 degrees one way or the other from what is NORMAL.

Normal isn't "boring," normal means there's a sense of order and freedom from chaos. You don't wake up one day and everything has been turned completely upside down all over the place. THAT is how the weather should be, ALWAYS. Spring should be spring, not a flip-flop of winter and summer within the same week. You shouldn't go months with no rain then all of a sudden it refuses to stop.

The one exception I might make, regardless of what's "normal"--there would be almost no cloudy days where it's not raining. NEVER would it be cloudy but not raining. The only reason to be cloudy is to rain, that's IT. If you're not raining, then get out of here and bring the sun back. In other words--pee or get off the stinking pot.

Last edited by shyguylh; 12-26-2013 at 10:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather