Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:45 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,827,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I always wonder what life is like in places that far north. Like in Alaska or Scandinavia. What would nightlife be in a place like Anchorage or Tromso? Reminds me a bit of that film Insomnia with Al Pacino. A summer in an arctic or sub-arctic place is something I want to experience at least once.

With DST it only gets dark after 10 pm in Melbourne at the height of summer and that was weird enough.
In Seattle there are several days it doesn't truly get dark until 10 or later around the summer solstice too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 02:01 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I always wonder what life is like in places that far north. Like in Alaska or Scandinavia. What would nightlife be in a place like Anchorage or Tromso? Reminds me a bit of that film Insomnia with Al Pacino. A summer in an arctic or sub-arctic place is something I want to experience at least once.

With DST it only gets dark after 10 pm in Melbourne at the height of summer and that was weird enough.
What time must the sunrise be in Melbourne to get a 10pm sunset there at their low latitude? I've never experienced the true midnight sun but I've read that in the traditional Inuit way of life where things aren't governed by the clock in summer people just go to sleep whenever they feel tired and it's perfectly normal to see people working/children playing outside etc when it's actually the middle of the night by our clocks.

When I was a teenager one thing I used to do on a sunny morning around the summer solstice every year was get up really early and sneak out of the house (used to love the fun of doing that at every opportunity - and I never got caught) to go for a bike ride/go skateboarding at 4am (sunrise was at about 4.30 but with a clear sky it would be perfectly light by 4) or so to revel in the oddness of having the town completely to myself, no cars, no people, no noise except birdsong etc and yet it was broad daylight, and usually quite a beautiful sight with the low, bright morning sun burning off the mist in the fields. I'd definitely like to see somewhere like Tromso in the midnight sun season some time.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:24 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
I love getting up early in the morning, in summer, when it's 4:35am and the sun is shining. I also love going outside for a bit at 2am - 3am when the sky starts turning blue.

The concept of having equal daylight all year is totally alien to me.. even sunsets in summer of around 8pm seem odd.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:00 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Edinburgh has constant Nautical Twilight during the summer.

Here in Leeds the sky never goes completely dark in summer, like it does in winter, we have constant Astronomical twilight, so do London, Paris, Berlin and Amsterdam.

Nowhere in the lower 48 of the US experiences constant twilight in summer, Seattle comes close but not quite.
Even at the summer solstice in Duluth, MN (46.8N; the U.S. - Canada border from WA to MN is at 49N), the sky is fully dark from roughly 10:30 PM to 3:30 AM. However, I've heard shortwave stations on the 11 and 15 MHz bands from Asia around 2:30 AM.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:09 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:
For constant twilight of any kind during the summer, you need to be at least 48.561 degrees north, so a small area of Minnesota north of the 49th Parallel will get some constant Astronomical twilight during the summer
Northern Minnesota is sparsely populated, but some cities north of that line (almost on it) are Hallock, Warroad, and Pembina (ND).

Old 09-18-2013, 12:53 PM

2,714 posts, read 3,044,995 times
I live on a latitude of 53°33' North and its noticable here on clear nights from about Late May to Late July with the naked eye.
Really love that time of year, its like having a "light version" of the midnight sun above the arctic circle.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:55 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
When I look out my window at night at the end of June, the sky is never completely dark, and it's lighter towards the North and East. I am at 56 degrees North.

I believe we get this for 2 months or so from May to July.

I know that further South in the UK experiences this also, and Edmonton, Canada too.

Would I be right in saying that the contiguous 48 states in America don't experience this?
I get it at 55N so I would say probably about 50N.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Edinburgh has constant Nautical Twilight during the summer.

Here in Leeds the sky never goes completely dark in summer, like it does in winter, we have constant Astronomical twilight, so do London, Paris, Berlin and Amsterdam.

Nowhere in the lower 48 of the US experiences constant twilight in summer, Seattle comes close but not quite.
It's basically dark when that happens.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
How far north does one have to go before this becomes really noticeable? Though there were late nights I don't remember it being light all night in southern England, but I do remember it being so in Northern Scotland. Are there gradations of this?
I think if you go to about 58N it is pretty much bright all night. I know that in the Shetlands the sky is blue all night.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
It's strange.. I lived in Winchester in Southern England for one summer and I really noticed the perhaps one hour less of daylight compared with Edinburgh.
I don't think they really get twilight in the South of England. It gets dark there in the summer at like 9pm. I know this because when I watch the news at 9 it is pitch dark, here the sun doesn't go down till 10:15 and it is still broad daylight to 11.

So there is a 2 hour difference between here getting dark and there getting dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather