Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Number of hrs of sunshine
2500 hrs or more (southern Mediterranean...etc) 26 28.26%
2000 - 2500 hrs (deep southern Europe) 19 20.65%
1800 - 2000 hrs (Central - southern Europe) 9 9.78%
less than 1800 hrs (High latitude Europe) 38 41.30%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 01:19 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
The Seattle figure doesn't make sense when one considers that Vancouver averages 1,928 hours of sun and seems in line with the rest of the world. Even Victoria gets 2,193 hours.. although even I think that might be a bit high. I always thought Environment Canada didn't use the US method but the C-S methods used elsewhere.

With Victoria and Seattle being so close, (closer than Vancouver) maybe Seattle is closer to 2200 hours. Hmm. Maybe Blue Hill is not completely representative of Boston cause it seems when you compare Canada to US it is more like 200 hour difference, or less. Seattle gets 2019 hours (have also seen 2170 hrs), pretty close to Canada cities nearby.

Canada uses same as UK. From Env Canada website:

Information | Canada's National Climate Archive

2.10 Sunshine and Solar Radiation
In Canada, bright sunshine observations are made using the Campbell-Stokes sunshine recorder, first developed in 1863. It consists of a 10-cm glass sphere which focuses sunlight on a card calibrated in hours. Sunlight burns a trace on the card, allowing the observer to determine to the nearest tenth of an hour the amount of sunshine that occurs on a given day. It should be noted that the recorder measures only "bright" sunshine, which is less than "visible" sunshine. For example, sunshine immediately after sunrise and just before sunset would not be bright enough to register. Values given are the totals for each month and year.
Solar radiation, which is a measure of the sun's electro-magnetic energy, is available for a small number of stations across Canada. These data are presented for each measured radiation field, namely, global (RF1), diffuse (RF2), reflected (RF3), and net (RF4) radiation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
See above ... and there are more things than I have mentioned there, as well.
So do you think Windsor would be sunnier than Boston then? Using the C-S machine at Blue Hill, MA the hours are 2228, while Windsor, Ontario gets 2265 hours.

If you subtract 370 hours from the sunshine hours for Philadelphia, I end up with 2128 hours, which is a lot less than Windsor. There is no way Philadelphia is more cloudy than Detroit/Windsor. Impossible. I've been to Toronto around 4 times, in winter and summer, and no way are we even close to Toronto (2038 hours). That is a diff of less than 100 hours.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Excellent! The adjusted numbers make vastly more sense to me. As I once commented in an older thread, I once spent 12 months in Chicago and noted that the reported sunshine total for the period was about 2440 hours. This totally lacked credibility to me, and I never believed it was more than about 2150 - or perhaps even 2100 - in the terms I was used to.

Unfortunately in NZ a steady conversion exercise of replacing C-S with electronic measurements has already produced a rash of "new high" yearly totals and inflated values in general. A town previously ranking 125 hours or so below the 2 sunniest locations has suddenly become the new champion. "Tell that to the Marines". Unless the electronic results are scaled down later, any old-new comparisons will be meaningless for most sites.
Do you think Chicago, being on the landward sides of the prevailing wind direction, would be cloudier than Detroit/Windsor. Using your number of 2100 hours, it would be cloudier than Windsor.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:34 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphatier View Post
Believe me that's still not enough.
Perhaps not, but as I'm spoiled with long summer days, the days in Rome in July for example would end too soon. BUT if the summers would be much longer and warmer, then I would take the shorter days.
The 48th parallel north was just a compromise, the 19 hour day here at summer solstice is a bit too much as well.

And I mentioned Stuttgart and Lyon just as an example where I actually could move to. Bucharest and Rostov-on-Don have better climates, but I would never move to those places.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:34 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
So do you think Windsor would be sunnier than Boston then? Using the C-S machine at Blue Hill, MA the hours are 2228, while Windsor, Ontario gets 2265 hours.

If you subtract 370 hours from the sunshine hours for Philadelphia, I end up with 2128 hours, which is a lot less than Windsor. There is no way Philadelphia is more cloudy than Detroit/Windsor. Impossible. I've been to Toronto around 4 times, in winter and summer, and no way are we even close to Toronto (2038 hours). That is a diff of less than 100 hours.
I can't comment on your climates as I have no knowledge of them, but your comments sound reasonable. It could be that the Windsor values are a bit optimistic - if the C-S results aren't "centrally checked" (a practice which was followed for many years in NZ but later abandoned) then there can be issues of consistency, given the somewhat subjective nature of measurement. On the electronic side, perhaps Boston's numbers are particularly optimistic, making the 372 adjustment atypical. BTW, taking 58% of even the maximum astronomically measureable sun for Boston gives about 2575 hours at most.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Do you think Chicago, being on the landward sides of the prevailing wind direction, would be cloudier than Detroit/Windsor. Using your number of 2100 hours, it would be cloudier than Windsor.
That was just one particular 12 months remember - and it might have been 2150 or so ...

PS - having just looked at Env. Canada's data for Windsor, there are no values cited for sunshine!!

Last edited by RWood; 01-13-2013 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: additional note

Old 01-13-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I again emphasise the "horizon" - how it varies over the year (re obstructions and early/late sun). Without that knowledge of a site it's hard to even begin.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
That sounds hard to believe. However, this table shows Chicago at 54% and Detroit at 53%; barely different.

Sunshine- Average Percent (%) Possible

Old 01-13-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That sounds hard to believe. However, this table shows Chicago at 54% and Detroit at 53%; barely different.

Sunshine- Average Percent (%) Possible
Chicago does get its own lake effect cloudiness in certain situations. Where was that Windsor total sourced from? I don't trust "unofficial" sources much.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:16 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,387,665 times
^Windsor averages 2027.42 sunshine hours per year

Category Data | Canada's National Climate Archive

I don't know where these statistics are coming from though (I'm pretty sure St. Catharines airport doesn't record sunshine for example)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather