Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 11:59 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,177,984 times

Advertisements

What weather conditions required your school to declare an indoor recess when you were a kid?

Here in Southern California: any temperature under 55 F. Maybe exceptions were made for low 50s it was clear with no wind for the morning recess (@10AM) because temperatures were rapidly rising at the time. Any rain, even the slightest drizzle or even a few solitary drops of rain, indoor recess. If it rained that morning and the playground was still wet even though it was no longer raining, indoor recess. Sometimes, if we had heavy rain on one day (more than an inch) and the next day had lots of puddles and wet equipment, indoor recess until it dried out. Overcast and windy with temperatures under 65 F, indoor recess. Sometimes, if there was even a chance of rain, even though the playground was dry and it hadn't rained yet, indoor recess.

If the same criteria were used in most places, there would be no point in having school playgrounds because the kiddos would never get to go outside .

More unique to SoCal, strong Santa Ana winds, smokey air from wildfires in the hills, and temperatures over 100 F have also declared indoor recesses.

Where did you grow up and what criteria did your school use to keep you guys inside for recess?

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 11-19-2014 at 12:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 12:13 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,460,870 times
I grew up on Long Island.

Temps below 40F, heavy rain or thunder, snowy or icy conditions on the pavement, and high winds (>35mph gusts or so) would give us indoor recess.

Last edited by Shalop; 11-19-2014 at 12:33 AM..

Old 11-19-2014, 12:24 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Only rain. It's typically heavy here, so it was usually pretty clear cut. Sometimes school would close early, before the bridges closed.

No temperature restriction. Most mornings in winter, are close to freezing, so it wouldn't make much sense to be inside. We were tough little muppets back then - bare feet were common, even on frosty mornings.

Never hot enough to be inside, although school did finish early on one day that reached 38C. The strong sun could be an issue, so "under the trees" (a big oak grove) was often the place to be.

There was snow in 1974 ( first time in nearly 40 years), so school was closed. Less than an inch and gone by breakfast, but I guess they figured we would be too excited to go to school.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:27 AM

3,600 posts, read 2,694,971 times
Never happened

Old 11-19-2014, 01:16 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,604,174 times
In Junior school, if it rained any amount.

Senior school, no such thing.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:05 AM

16 posts, read 11,697 times
Back in primary school, if it rained, you were required to stay inside during recess and lunch break. They used to call it a "wet day timetable". They'd also cancel sports when it rained, which I loved because I always hated sport. Used to always hope for rain on those PE days.

In very high temps, over about 38C, we were allowed to go home at lunch time if our parents were available (or willing!) to pick us up. This is back in the the mid-late 90's when a lot of classrooms at primary schools didn't have proper aircon, usually in those portable buildings. Those rickety window units just weren't up the task of cooling a big room full of 30 people. I imagine it would be different these days. I remember being jealous of my friend as her mum always used to pick her up at around midday on such days, while I had to stay the whole hog because my parents had to work

In high school, none of this stuff happened... rain, shine, hail, 40C, whatever, you were sent outside. You could stay inside the library or another common building or the gymnasium, but usually you were not allowed inside the classroom. No early home time either. But by then almost all classrooms were airconditioned.

Last edited by Stratus Hater; 11-19-2014 at 06:23 AM..

Old 11-19-2014, 06:12 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,958,065 times
Mostly rain, or if it happened to be very cold. It was also optional to go to school if it was over 40°C - obviously I never went

Old 11-19-2014, 07:06 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,777,754 times
Under 55 or raining they would keep us in. All of us kids would get so upset

Old 11-19-2014, 07:16 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,898,816 times
Heavy rain. If there was any ice/snow then school was cancelled (this was the deep South, they don't have the equipment to deal with those conditions). No matter how hot and humid it got, we were still outside. I remember sweating it out in 105 and very humid conditions in late August...

Old 11-19-2014, 07:37 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,772,913 times
A heavy rain caused an indoor recess. Only misting or a drizzle - get outside!

For temperature, if the real temperature or the wind chill is 0 degrees Fahrenheit, they will be inside. Otherwise, get outside.

Forget your snow pants, boots, mittens, hat? Find and use some from the lost and found, borrow from your sibling, or run laps dressed as you are to stay warm! You won't forget your gear tomorrow!

It's still that way today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather