Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 02:45 PM

66 posts, read 109,877 times

Advertisements

So my new way of procrastinating has been creating some fictional climates, even if I know very little about climatology.

So I came with this:
User:Valadyr/sandbox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is a continental climate... I wondered if that annual range was too big, but if you see a climate like Yakutsk, 62°N and in the middle of Siberia, the range is even bigger, with the difference being lower temperatures throughout the year.

So the summer in City 100 is like 10°C hotter than Yakutsk and the winter, more than 20°C milder.

I tried to come up with this funny precipitation pattern, but it is probably unrealistic. Maybe I should make the dry months drier. I added more precipitation in winter to make it snowier and tried to make some kind of monsoon in October, making it a snowless, rainy and incredibly gloomy month.

I don't know why I wanted to add that seasonal lag in winter, I really don't know if that makes sense.

That looks quite unrealistic, but a feature of the climate is having well defined seasons - compare September to October, for example - while the first is probably a potentially snowy month, temperatures in the second have never dipped below zero. November, however, is much more of a summer and December can already be insanely hot.

I used a point in 55°S latitude for the sunlight data...

And maybe those cold snaps in winter are a bit exaggerated... the same goes for the heat waves in summer.

I don't know what rating I would give to City 100's climate, I have never experienced something like that, but should be somewhat fun. January does not look much appealing to me, but the heat should be more manageable than it appears - the humidity is low and high winds are common. Most of the transition months look nice, even if October is somewhat depressing... As for the winter, I can't rate winters since I have never experienced a real one.

Well, give it a rating and point out if you think it is totally unrealistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 03:25 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,559,351 times
I don't mind if it's unrealistic - that's the point of fictional climates! Keep them coming

In that case, your climate would get a D. Summer, and especially January (and December to a lesser extent) look fantastic (despite crappy record lows) but winter is a cold and gloomy nightmare.

Interesting rain/sun pattern.

I would LOVE to spend a January in City 100 - 34°C and 417 hours of sunshine, that's fantastic!

Old 05-17-2012, 03:27 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,150 times
Another man joins the club of fictional climate creators. Well, all I can say is "welcome to the club" .

Quote:
Originally Posted by euclideanspace View Post
It is a continental climate... I wondered if that annual range was too big, but if you see a climate like Yakutsk, 62°N and in the middle of Siberia, the range is even bigger, with the difference being lower temperatures throughout the year.
Huge seasonal ranges are quite realistic, especially with certain continent configurations. These places tend to be drier than milder coastal regions, but non-arid climates do occur (just look at Yakutsk and the rest of Siberia).

Quote:
I tried to come up with this funny precipitation pattern, but it is probably unrealistic. Maybe I should make the dry months drier. I added more precipitation in winter to make it snowier and tried to make some kind of monsoon in October, making it a snowless, rainy and incredibly gloomy month.
The moisture pattern is quite strange, but it doesn't strike me as too unrealistic. Stranger things have happened in world climates.

Quote:
I don't know why I wanted to add that seasonal lag in winter, I really don't know if that makes sense.
That strikes me as the only implausible aspect of this climate. A seasonal lag like that doesn't occur in deep interiors; August will typically be warmer than July, and September won't be roughly the same as June. The summer seasonal lag strikes me as more realistic. If you put the August weather in July it would be plausible.

Quote:
Well, give it a rating and point out if you think it is totally unrealistic.
Aside from the winter lag, I don't think it's implausible at all, though it is rather strange. Keep in mind that there are plenty of unusual real-world climates that would be dismissed as unrealistic if they didn't actually exist. Your climate is actually reminiscent of some climates in Kazakhstan.

The record highs in winter are probably too low, and the cold snaps are probably exaggerated as you say, but not beyond the point of believability. The summer record highs, on the other hand, are if anything too low. Most places in the American South have reached 110F and averages cooler than your place does for summer highs. Phillipsburg, Kansas has similar summers as your climate and has a record high of 120F.

As for the rating, I give it a C. Winters average too warm, though they're decent and prone to cold snaps, and summers are far too hot for my taste.

I have one other recommendation: "City 100" is too generic and suggests something to do with a group of 100 cities. I'd change it's name to something like "Centurius".

Old 05-17-2012, 04:33 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Your climate has cooler summers than Turpan and winters not too different (at least the highs):

Turpan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather