Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country offers more variety climate-wise and has better weather?
Sweden 28 49.12%
United Kingdom 29 50.88%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 12:45 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
You are insisting that Northern Europeans or specifically Brits go to the Med MAINLY because it is cheaper. I believe it has as much if not more to do with the warmer climate.

Chicago weather is so predictable, that we have had 27C temps in November and -22C temps.. We had a 19C high temps and EF3 tornadoes in January, and snow in October and 33C. . In London, it will never, get that cold or that hot in any season, hence the maritime nature of the the climate.
Spain is the 3rd most popular travel destination in Finland, and yes, part is the weather, part is that they are accustomed to the country. On the other hand, in Finland and Sweden Thailand is one of the most popular warm weather destinations though it would be cheaper to go to Egypt or Cyprus. It depends on so many factors. And the other thing is that people often want a break from their usual weather, let it be 35C or 10C, but wouldn't want to live in that climate for many years.

You mentioned earlier about the growing population in Arizona and Florida. But, they need AC, and I think that's cheating. "Yes, I like the warm winters but couldn't live here in summer without AC". Then you aren't a real warm weather fan. In the US where AC is everywhere it might sound silly, but in Europe, even in Spain, it's still a luxury product. And don't throw "do you wear clother in winter" at me.

---

Chicago's climate along wit the rest of the Midwest and the Plains is what I call a hypercontinental climate. Practically a continental climate on steroids, and it's more variable than most climates on earth. Here we have all four seasons and temps this year has ranged from -27 to +31, but it's still "boring" on Chigaco standards. We don't ever get 20C in November or snow in June. We've had storms, blizzards, heavy downpours, at least a couple decent thunderstorms, grass turning brown due to drought, clear skies for 48 hours in a row and so on, but still nothing compared what Chicago can get. But if that is the least boring you can live with, you'll get bored in 90% of the world's climates.

But wait, we beat you in one thing: when have you had a 19h or a 5 h 45 min day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 06:11 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Well what is a better place to learn about other nations' climates than the C-D weather forum?

Old 08-26-2013, 08:28 PM

29,543 posts, read 19,636,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
But, they need AC, and I think that's cheating. "Yes, I like the warm winters but couldn't live here in summer without AC". Then you aren't a real warm weather fan.
So I nor you could live without heating during the winter where we both live right? Does that mean we are cheating, and that we aren't cold weather fans? I certainly am. Though I understand the limits of the human body, and use AC when I need it, and heat when I need it.

Quote:

Chicago's climate along wit the rest of the Midwest and the Plains is what I call a hypercontinental climate. Practically a continental climate on steroids, and it's more variable than most climates on earth:
Well I guess that is part of my bias. I can't help it. I'm used to this, but Chicago only is on the edge of the real extremes which is found in the Great Plains. Thanks to the Great Lakes, we don't get anywhere near the insane climate gyrations that the Dakotas and other Central Plains States can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I don't really care what you believe, I live in the UK, you don't...
No I don't live there, but I have been there, albeit for just 5 days, but more importantly, since I study climate, I know what typical oceanic climates are like. I know your climate averages, and a good deal of your climate history and records, and compared to what I am accustomed to, yes, I would find your climate very boring.

I've spoken with Brits on my many travels to Greece, and many have complained about the British summers. I'm not making that up. It's a fact. Yes, I know you said that Brits complain about everything, but it's a bit strange to specifically complain about the summers while on vacation in a warmer climate. It would be like Chicagoans complaining about the winters while on vacation in Florida or Puerto Rico, or Mexico. It's pretty damn obvious why most of them would be there, and it's not to climb the Aztec pyramids. It's to enjoy the climate warm climate and the warm seas, when you can't do that at home.

Quote:
You may not want to get cultured, but lots of other people do & visit countries to see their history, not just their beaches...
Like I don't know this. And don't be so condescending. I'm an avid historian. I have a master's degree in history. I teach history to high school age teens so I always take in a bit of culture wherever I visit.

But the majority of people aren't historians, and they just want to get away and enjoy good weather some place else, when the weather isn't so go at home. It just so happens that most Northern European tourists go such places like Greece during the summer and not so much during any other times of the year so they can coincidentally take in some culture, and make use of the Mediterranean beaches ...

Quote:
And what do you mean that London never gets that hot?
Ok, maybe a better way to put it would be rarely. Average just 4 days at or above 30C annually. Same may be said about days below 0C. It rarely gets cold, at least by my local standards anyways.

Quote:
It reached 34C last month

One time in the last seven years. A couple of years ago, I think I counted 15 days at or above 35C at Heathrow since 1974. I may be off a bit, but pretty close. I used tutiempo.

Back to the point of this thread, I would prefer Sweden's winters as they certainly see more snow, but looking I would easily prefer London's spring and autumn over Stockholm or Gothemburg. Obviously I would hate summers in both countries.

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 08-26-2013 at 08:39 PM..

Old 08-26-2013, 08:37 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:

I've spoken with Brits on my many travels to Greece, and many have complained about the British summers. I'm not making that up. It's a fact. Yes, I know you said that Brits complain about everything, but it's a bit strange to specifically complain about the summers while on vacation in a warmer climate.
Not only have I spoken to many, but I have a few British friends that live here and in the UK. It's what they do, they talk about the weather. It doesn't mean they don't enjoy their summers.

Brits like to travel a lot. I wouldn't read too much into them complaining about their summers. Brits also love to go to France and places like Paris. I doubt they are going for the weather.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:38 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Brits go abroad for the climate of Greece or Spain - but that isn't because the summers here are so bad or cold or wet or extremely dull - because they're not - but people want to go abroad and relax by the beach or by the pool with a drink in their hand, knowing that they are far away from the stress of work and everyday life back home.. they also know that they can be pretty much guaranteed sunshine and warmth in abundance in Spain or Greece while you can't back home, especially since our waters are chilly and not really suitable for swimming for long periods - the climates of Spain or Greece are more conductive to a beach or pool lifestyle, or doing very little overall, whereas the summers in the UK are definitely conductive to doing absolutely everything else such as walking, running, hiking, cycling, gardening, or just sitting in a park on a partly cloudy day with a temp of 23C as you eat your lunch and read a book.. without sweating excessively in the process.

You can say what you want about our summers (as long as you know people will not agree with you), but I doubt many people here would consider 33C in Greece to be more pleasant than 23C here.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:56 PM

29,543 posts, read 19,636,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Brits like to travel a lot. I wouldn't read too much into them complaining about their summers. Brits also love to go to France and places like Paris. I doubt they are going for the weather.
I know this to be true as well. Brits are tourists. But can you understand why American spring breakers from northern cities such as Chicago or NYC, or Philly go to Florida in March/April? Or why young Brits go to the Greek Isles in August when it's 30C+ there, and only 21C in London? Obviously for the weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
You can say what you want about our summers (as long as you know people will not agree with you), but I doubt many people here would consider 33C in Greece to be more pleasant than 23C here.
I guess it's a matter of what one is accustomed to and a perception of what it means to have "summer".

23C would be fine temperature in May or September here, but not in June-Aug. It's just not common.

In fact this is what some Chicagoans said on social network about the last week of July here when temps did average around 24C

Old 08-26-2013, 09:09 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
I know this to be true as well. Brits are tourists. But can you understand why American spring breakers from northern cities such as Chicago or NYC, or Philly go to Florida in March/April? Or why young Brits go to the Greek Isles in August when it's 30C+ there, and only 21C in London? Obviously for the weather.

I guess it's a matter of what one is accustomed to and a perception of what it means to have "summer".

23C would be fine temperature in May or September here, but not in June-Aug. It's just not common.

In fact this is what some Chicagoans said on social network about the last week of July here when temps did average around 24C

24C would be warmer than the average summer day here, but I don't hear folks from your part of the world talking about it feeling like spring. People adjust quickly, in my experience.

Last edited by Joe90; 08-26-2013 at 09:21 PM..

Old 08-27-2013, 07:13 AM

13,488 posts, read 9,034,795 times
Quote:
No I don't live there, but I have been there, albeit for just 5 days, but more importantly, since I study climate, I know what typical oceanic climates are like. I know your climate averages, and a good deal of your climate history and records, and compared to what I am accustomed to, yes, I would find your climate very boring.
Wow you have been to the UK for FIVE days, sorry I bow down to your far superior knowledge of our weather than I, who has only lived here for over 32 years So what if you "study" climates?? And averages only tell half the story But regardless of all that I really couldn't care less if you find our climate boring, I would HATE to live in Chicago & I have never even been there

Quote:
I've spoken with Brits on my many travels to Greece, and many have complained about the British summers. I'm not making that up. It's a fact. Yes, I know you said that Brits complain about everything, but it's a bit strange to specifically complain about the summers while on vacation in a warmer climate. It would be like Chicagoans complaining about the winters while on vacation in Florida or Puerto Rico, or Mexico. It's pretty damn obvious why most of them would be there, and it's not to climb the Aztec pyramids. It's to enjoy the climate warm climate and the warm seas, when you can't do that at home.
Again just because you have spoken with some British tourists in Greece, how does that make it FACT that every single person in the UK hates our summers & every single British citizen who holidays abroad does it to get hot weather?!? I have spoken to many people from Chicago on my many trips to the US who have all told me the climate there is boring & not as good as you make out... See what I did there? Comments from a few people are hardly representative of the whole population are they? And British people do love to complain about everything. We complain if it's raining, we complain if we have had no rain, we complain when it's cold & we complain when it's cold! That is FACT! And how do you know specifically what part of the UK these Brits you spoke to were from?? Even though the UK is tiny compared to the US we do get regional variations in our climate & some areas do get much better summers (& much milder winters) than others, so again not exactly damning proof is it? And just because YOU go to warmer places specifially to lay on a beach for 7 days it doesn't mean EVERYONE does I have been on holiday to much warmer countries & never set foot on a beach or even lay by a pool, I like to visit to see what else the country has to offer culturally, visit landmarks, museums etc.. So please don't judge everyones holiday motives on your own, or a few British tourists in Greece.

Quote:
Like I don't know this. And don't be so condescending. I'm an avid historian. I have a master's degree in history. I teach history to high school age teens so I always take in a bit of culture wherever I visit.
I have been no more condescending than you Oh gosh you are so darn intelligent, well I may as well just shut up now then & once again bow down to your far superior knowledge of everything For someone so intelligent perhaps you shouldn't be so close minded to others opinions & try & tell people you know more about their climate than someone who has lived their whole life in that country then?

Quote:
But the majority of people aren't historians, and they just want to get away and enjoy good weather some place else, when the weather isn't so go at home. It just so happens that most Northern European tourists go such places like Greece during the summer and not so much during any other times of the year so they can coincidentally take in some culture, and make use of the Mediterranean beaches ... .
Why does someone have to be a historian to go to museums & the like?? I know most American's are not that cultured, but we in Europe are Most Brits go away on holiday to the Med as it is cheap, they can lay by a pool & relax, take in others cultures & coincidently it has better weather... Many Brits do still holiday in the UK, so are they staying here for the weather then??

Quote:
Ok, maybe a better way to put it would be rarely. Average just 4 days at or above 30C annually. Same may be said about days below 0C. It rarely gets cold, at least by my local standards anyways.
And? Why does that make it boring? Surely that makes it a far more comfortable climate, as it rarely gets too hot & rarely gets too cold?

Quote:
One time in the last seven years. A couple of years ago, I think I counted 15 days at or above 35C at Heathrow since 1974. I may be off a bit, but pretty close. I used tutiempo.
Again, and? It does go above 30C every summer in the UK, it may only be for one day or it may be a few days, I fail to see why it is boring just because we don't get 6 weeks of 40C heat in the summer...

Old 08-27-2013, 08:16 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Summers in the UK are cool by global standards. When averaged over the entire country, they are very cool - but the majority of us live in England, where summers are quite a bit warmer than the UK average. They're cool only relatively speaking - I don't consider 21 - 24C cool, I consider it warm. Those temperatures are the best for being physically active in my opinion, but not so great for going to the beach and going for a dip in the sea. The summers here mean I can take long walks without feeling hot, sweaty or uncomfortable, and I can run at any time of the day, rather than just in the morning. I would call British summers great for being outdoors and being physically active, taking hikes, cycling, running, gardening, or whatever else. I would not do those things in a place like Athens or Madrid, because summers are too warm and I would end up being sick. I would end up going to the nearest pool every day to cool off, and I don't even like swimming.

Anyway, according to NetWeather, these years did not reach 30C:

1993, 1981, 1980, 1978, 1972, 1966, 1965, 1963, 1962, 1958. 1931, 1927, 1920, 1913, 1910.

So recently they've all reached 30C, though it's possible to not reach 30C. Very unlikely to occur though.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 08-27-2013 at 08:24 PM..

Old 08-27-2013, 10:20 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:

Because it is boring to me and anyone else who is used to continental extremes. You don't have to like my opinion, but I can still express it.

I see where each of you are coming from, but I have to say growing up in this rather cold winter continental climate, I find it really tedious how temps fluctuate all over the place in winter. It seems we will have a two week period of 40'sF, and just when you get used to that and it feels okay, you get hit with arctic fronts and for the next two to three weeks it is really cold. Then back up it goes again. I personally can't stand that.

The other thing I do agree with you on though is how Brits tend to do the opposite of us. The idea of going south in summer to get heat is just not at all on the minds of most Americans. If anything, New England and our own local beaches are the places to go. Though some in our area do like to go to the Carolina beach resorts for 85F bath water to swim in, though they are not the majority. Currently our surf temp is 74F along NJ coast and that is fine for me. Though the 62F water in the UK would be way too cold for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather